Airsoft Canada
AirsoftParts.ca

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MORE bad publicity for airsoft

:

General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 9th, 2006, 20:51   #1
hymnforthewretched
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
MORE bad publicity for airsoft

hey heres an aticle in the Grande Prairie new paper i found. This was from last week i believe ( august 1st - 6th 2006)

makes me disapointed, as it probably will you too.




Fake guns? It's still armed robbery

There's nothing cool about carrying a fake weapon.

That's the message Grande Prairie RCMP are putting out after last week's conviction of a local youth who brought a toy gun onto the GP Composite high school campus last fall.

Police are worried that the incident is part of a trend or fad of carrying fake guns which, over the years, have started to look more and more like the real thing.

Gone are the days when a toy gun was simply small and plastic and obviously not real.

"When they first came out they were a clear plastic so you could tell they were a toy, then it moved to the more realistic looking gun but they had a red tip on the barrel of the gun to indicate it wasn't the real thing," said Const. Scott Hagarty, spokesman for Grande Prairie RCMP. "Now people are taking the tips off.'

He pointed out that the only way someone could tell them apart is by the little Made in Japan stamp on the gun.

"You walk into a Mac's store and point that at someone, it's an armed robbery."

Hagarty said the RCMP wants to get rid of the "cool factor" for youths by reassuring them these fake guns will have real consequences in certain situations.

"If people are out there thinking 'nothing will happen if I get caught with this,' that's not the case," he said.

According to the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code, replica firearms - except for replicas of antique firearms - are classified as prohibited devices.

The Canada Firearms Centre notes, as a general rule, guns made out of clear plastic and those that are significantly smaller than the real version are not classified as replicas.

Hagarty said the RCMP has run into a number of kids who are carrying these replica firearms, thinking they are toys, but this causes problems for the public.

"When someone sees that on someone, they won't know it's not real because they look so identical."

While Hagarty said he understands parent might want to buy the replicas for their children, he added safety is the only way a tragic situation can be averted.

"If you do buy them be very strict about how they are used."

Last week, two local youths appeared in Grande Prairie provincial court on charges stemming from an incident at Grande Prairie Composite high school on Nov. 9.

The school was locked down that day after a staff member saw a male youth with what appeared to be a handgun on the school's property.

Between 15 to 20 police officers and a police dog blockaded the school and two young offenders were eventually arrested and a replica handgun was seized.

The co-accused males, now ages 18 and 17, were facing charges of possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace and mischief. Neither can be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

In court Aug. 1, the 17-year-old appeared first and changed his plea from not guilty to guilty and a pre-sentence report is going to be submitted to the court on Sept. 18.

As part of the agreement, Crown prosecutor Morris Golden withdrew the mischief charge.

The 18-year-old, who was 17 at the time of the alleged offence had his trial on Aug. 1-2 and six witnesses were called to recount what happened on the day in question.

Throughout his testimony he asserted that he viewed the gun as a toy and was using it to make friends as he had only been in the school for four days prior to the incident.

The 18-year-old was found not guilty on the weapons charge but convicted of mischief and sentenced to 12 months of probation, including the condition that he take a firearm training program.
hymnforthewretched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 21:06   #2
Pliskin
 
Pliskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Renfrew, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Pliskin
So, the kid's were being idiots with toy guns. Were they specifically airsoft pistols? Because it doesnt say anything about them stamping down on the use of them, yet.
__________________
Looking for an Age Verifier who passes through Renfrew area to contact me! PM me please!

Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 21:27   #3
Freedom Fighter
 
Freedom Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mississauga, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnforthewretched
The 18-year-old was found not guilty on the weapons charge but convicted of mischief and sentenced to 12 months of probation, including the condition that he take a firearm training program.
Take a firearm training program?! What in the FUCK?! Does anyone else find this fucking stupid? Way to GO CANADIAN LEGAL SYSTEM!
__________________
Few individuals would view themselves as barbarous, no, instead they view themselves in a different light, a distorted reality that justifies who they are and what they have done.
Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 21:48   #4
Drake
E-01
 
Drake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal, QC
Quote:
"When they first came out they were a clear plastic so you could tell they were a toy, then it moved to the more realistic looking gun but they had a red tip on the barrel of the gun to indicate it wasn't the real thing," said Const. Scott Hagarty, spokesman for Grande Prairie RCMP. "Now people are taking the tips off.'
Gee, really? JAC and Asahi and MGC were making clear guns... wow. I must be getting old, I don't remember all this shit.

Way to go, backwards ill-informed spokesperson.
__________________
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 23:12   #5
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave
 
Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Markham-ON
Send a message via AIM to Affliction Send a message via MSN to Affliction
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnforthewretched
hey heres an aticle in the Grande Prairie new paper i found. This was from last week i believe ( august 1st - 6th 2006)

makes me disapointed, as it probably will you too.




Fake guns? It's still armed robbery

There's nothing cool about carrying a fake weapon.

That's the message Grande Prairie RCMP are putting out after last week's conviction of a local youth who brought a toy gun onto the GP Composite high school campus last fall.
So its cool to be carrying a real weapon?
-VM
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 23:27   #6
Joker73
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: grande prairie
quick note here.... when the schools got shut down, the radio picked it up and said that it was an airsoft pistol...the local tv station came into the store and took shots of a couple guns... the next day it wasn't being called airsoft, turns out it was a bb gun...after that it was only called a replica firearm not airsoft. btw i'm not saying they weren't stupid... they were.
Joker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 23:27   #7
Blastyman
 
Blastyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmonton ,AB
Send a message via ICQ to Blastyman
How is it bad for airsoft? I don't see the word airsoft mentioned.

The cop even says if you buy them be strict in how its used. Am I the only one who is getting sick of people posting up stuff that always says bad rep for airsoft and it doesn't even mention airsoft.

It talks of a replica gun. It could be airsoft. very likely since its made in japan. But it doesn't specifically mention airsoft so don't put that in the title of the post!

OH well I must be turning into a cranky old man! haha
Blastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 23:38   #8
hymnforthewretched
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
well whether or not airsoft is mentioned or not, the police still know what airsoft guns are and they know how real they look. whether its a bb gun, replica gun, airsoft gun, or a cheap cap gun from the dollar store, people miss use them and use them for criminal acts, and in the scheme of things still puts burden on world of airsoft reguardless
hymnforthewretched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 23:38   #9
Zeonprime
NUTSHOT!
 
Zeonprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastyman
How is it bad for airsoft? I don't see the word airsoft mentioned.

The cop even says if you buy them be strict in how its used. Am I the only one who is getting sick of people posting up stuff that always says bad rep for airsoft and it doesn't even mention airsoft.

It talks of a replica gun. It could be airsoft. very likely since its made in japan. But it doesn't specifically mention airsoft so don't put that in the title of the post!

OH well I must be turning into a cranky old man! haha
I second that.

Airsoft not replica...
__________________

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 23:39   #10
Janus
 
Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
Everything else aside...

What I don't get is where this 'cool' factor comes from.

You walk around the streets...let's say, just outside my apartment. I live in downtown Windsor. You walk around the streets here flashing the butt of your TM Glock tucked in your waistband...someone is going to use a REAL gun on you, thinking that you are also carrying a live weapon.

Whether it's police or some fucking hood rat who isn't as much of a dork (i.e. he went and got a REAL gun to carry around. 1/2 the dork factor and only +1 on the fucking cock factor), you risk being shot. Is being a dork worth that?
__________________

Age Verifier - Lower Vancouver Island
Brotherhood of Nod - Nod Prime || Vancouver Island Airsoft League - President
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 00:32   #11
PTE. Pyle
 
PTE. Pyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: delta B.C.
Send a message via MSN to PTE. Pyle
if the stupid fuckheads that are pulling this shit just started to dissapera, I wonder how long people would think it was cool to carry guns. real or not.
__________________
To live is to Die
PTE. Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:48   #12
thephenom
 
thephenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Send a message via MSN to thephenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTE. Pyle
if the stupid fuckheads that are pulling this shit just started to dissapera, I wonder how long people would think it was cool to carry guns. real or not.
Until light sabers come out? :mrgreen:

God, I'm such a nerd.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:32   #13
LUTNIT
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa
If you carry a gun in North American your "dangerous"
If you dont carry a gun in many other countries, your "in danger"

Should send offenders so some of the worlds not-so-lucky countries and see if they are taught a lesson.
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:39   #14
sukivan
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
who bought the guns for these guys? they weren't 18 when this all went down.
sukivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:39   #15
sukivan
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUTNIT
If you carry a gun in North American your "dangerous"
If you dont carry a gun in many other countries, your "in danger"

Should send offenders so some of the worlds not-so-lucky countries and see if they are taught a lesson.
what? please explain
sukivan is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
AirsoftParts.ca

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.