Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Has Honour and Respect in Airsoft Died?

:

ASC News and Announcements

Old September 15th, 2015, 19:24   #61
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
If you don't know who you are shooting, it is easy to see them only as a target, and not a person.

You see this at events where people do not engage at a personal level with anyone who is not in their team or unit or group.

This is exactly why the events I host do not have "winners" and Losers, there is no score to tally. There are only personal challenges to achieve objectives that usually have nothing to do with shooting anyone. The event is designed to challenge the individual and the group they are part of the achieve a goal, not a body count.

Let me just set something straight though. I do not advocate shooting people in the head. The most basic rule is do unto others as you would have done to you.

this is stated as "don't take a shot you would not want to receive" this has always and will always be my personal position and the position that I advocate strongly.

Honour and Respect is not lost .. only diminished.. and late blooming.
This is so true. People have no chill today.

There needs to be something said... a charter/honour code for airsoft in Canada, like the bro code.

Then you will pay that person to fix it for you.

Then you're not going to let your friends play with anything unless it's made by Fisher Price.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 23:06   #62
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Huh, I have never encountered this much aversion to head shots, or if this existed in MB nobody told me about it. I've also never done it when I had another target available, and I don't use automatic settings because I don't need it.
I don't care if I get zipped in the head though either, because I wear protection, and I have a mouth full of messed up teeth anyways.
People abusing automatics is a thing I'm familiar with though.

I guess I'm probably known in some circles as one of those evil villains!
This seems like a good example of club to club/ regional differences. If these cultural artifices are not clearly and immediately expressed to newcomers/ outsiders, there will be gross misunderstandings. If I go to your club, I will play by your rules without issue. I need to know all of these rules though, things that may seem like a given to you are not to me (I have no problem what so ever with recieving head shots. If I'm not wearing a cage I'd hope the other guy would give me a chance to open up another target as I would for him, but it's still my problem).
That's a difference between local cultures that needs to be clearly ironed out, because if I had walked into TTAC before hearing this, you'd just think I'm an asshole, when really except for fully protected faces being fair game, we probably play with comparable goals and attitude.
Maybe private clubs/ games just need to be way more explicit when defining the type of game they run. That won't solve all problems, but if you come out clearly offering 'This Thing Here', you'll get the chance to draw and mould what you want, while crossing with other like-minded but different groups.
Like when me and the 'Old Guys' would invite the cream of the speedball kids out so we could kick their asses with brass pump guns.

Anyway, try wearing a cage, helmet, and goggles some time though. A tri shot to the kisser is better than coffee.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 00:26   #63
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
There needs to be something said... a charter/honour code for airsoft in Canada, like the bro code.
There was an unwritten code of respect, honour, "bro", etc. the first few years I started playing.

I've noticed though overtime with the sport growing far past ASC, and more and more "Veteran Players" leaving the sport/hobby for other endeavours, this code only remains with a core group of players who although still play, aren't even close to being as active (on and off the field) as the regular players you see now a days at games.

Personally, I usually try to avoid going to public/walk on games now unless I am in dire need to play, or a group of people I know are going, simply because there are too many issues I see occur at these games. Issues ranging from no hit calling, to calling out people's hits, to point blank shots that could cause injury, to the overly increasing aggressive/confrontational nature of players, etc., etc. As much as most hosts, refs, owners, and/or other players might want to admit it, a lot of these issues are brushed under the rug regardless if someone makes a complaint or not.

I think Brian put it best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post

For many people that i see at events, the perception is that everyone else is there for their enjoyment, the same as computer generated adversaries in a video game.

it has become "us VS them" people no longer play together, they play Against each other. Many events are designed with an overarching theme of competition as the principle driver of the event. Who is "the best" sadly rarely brings out the best in people.

Honour and Respect is not lost .. only diminished.. and late blooming.

P90's 101 Guide
Short Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 01:04   #64
Wolver!ne

I feel the same. I find that most now are stuck in the COD mode. "head shots are best" and shit like that. I have even experienced a few players myself saying that they are better then everyone cause they play call of duty and never call their hits because "No one really knows and I can deal with the pain"

I do find that kids as well are just not taking the game seriously. I have had some tell me that my PTW is not as good as their AEG that they got their parents to buy for $200. There is also a lot of "COD speak" going on too. Hell one kid (I call him a kid but he is 22) shot me and said that I was supposed to lay down where I died so he could teabag me. Once I told him I would ram his gun up his ass if I ever saw him doing that to anyone, he told an admin who continued to tell me that it was part of the game. Low and behold, I lectured them on the proper etiquette of honour and respect in a game. I packed up my gear and told them when they decide to grow up I may return.

This is an epidemic that needs to be cured.

Age Verifier - Okanagan Valley and surrounding areas
Wolver!ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 02:17   #65
mcguyver

I stopped caring when clear guns were sold, and we were sold a bill of goods that we needed to "grow the sport or die".

I called this all way back then, lots of discussions had on ASC in those days.

I could care less these days. My gun will spank them hard and accurate nearly always out of their range. And I continue spanking them until they call hit, or get sick of the beating. I carry lots of BBs and batteries. I quite enjoy "1 mag, one kill".

Learn to adapt to the new reality, or create private groups and leave the losers to play with their buddies in the park.

Works for me.

And Rob, where was this meathead at thst was shooting you? Black Denial last year?

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 02:19   #66
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

I've met many new players over the past few years who are refreshing and welcome blood to the sport, but the vast majority of "newer" players seem to think they're in a PC game or are the greatest thing this game has ever seen. These people are the reason I tend to dislike drop in games.

I miss the days of playing with people such as McKee, IKYT, KingSix, Cooney, Arkell, OZone, ShortRound, as well as teams such as GHOSTS and many others. I knew that if they even thought they'd been hit, they'd call it and could count on me to do the same. Rarely was anyone shot in a manner that caused incident, and if it was, apologies were mad, as it was almost certainly an accident. Games were fun.

I think the biggest issue arises from the expansion of the sport. When I started, I'll admit, I was a bit of a "know it all" at first, but a number of people set me on the right path and I quickly learned to listen. I was put in my place a few times here on these boards before the advent of the "noob" tank and other useless rules.

When I finally hit the field with my first gun, which was almost prohibitively expensive at the time, I had a huge respect for the other players and their gear, based on the fact that they even let me play with them, as well as knowing how much of my hard earned chore and job money went into getting my starter gun, never mind the heavily customized guns I was seeing.

Even before some players started teaching me more about how to conduct myself on the field in terms of "Staying alive", I knew that if I didn't call my hits, no one would play with me and I wouldn't be welcome back. This had little to do with ASC or airsoft compared to what I'd been taught growing up. If you're no fun to play with, you don't get to play, if you want in on someone else's game, follow their rules.

A large part of the problem these days is that there is no recourse for bad behavior, we can't really "banish" people anymore, the fear of being cast out no longer exists. An example would be Team ECO. They dug their grave a long time ago based on their conduct within the sport, as well as towards other players and community members, including threats of physical violence, yet they're back out on the fields now, as there's nothing to stop them.

Retailers don't help new players mentalities either by pushing shit like ICS and G&G on new players, claiming that they're good guns to hit the field with and keep players on an even footing. When I started, it was pretty much an unwritten rule that you'd play a few games and get an idea what was going on, but if you were going to be getting into it seriously, your gun wouldn't remain stock for long (except TM mechboxes at the time, you didn't open those unless you HAD to). This leads new players to label any higher quality guns or upgraded guns as "cheap tricks" and "unfair". I've listened to players complain about upgraded VFC, PTW and polarstars, I've even had a player accuse me of cheating because my polarstar M16 is more accurate and out ranged his stock ICS rifle, which had a barrel shorter than 10.5 inches. When I commented on this, he proceeded to remark that I lie and cheat because the retailer (One guess as to who. Hint: "Official" ICS retailer) said his gun was from a good company and would put him on a level playing field with anything he'd likely come across.

To remedy the issues we face, I think we need to regain a stranglehold on the sport, and start seriously enforcing the rules again. Fields need to start handing out legitimate consequences for actions and keeping a list of banned players, if not some kind of "wall of shame", which would be easy enough to do with all the Go-Pros around. If a team is problematic, ban the team as a whole, this has worked in the past.

While we can't control the failings of parents, or the buisness practices of companies such as Airsoft Depot, Mach1 and any other, we can still influence the playerbase.

There was a time when Sgt. Splatters was, essentially, the realm of the banished, the only people who played there were essentially considered lepers to the rest of the community. On a small scale, this still works, as there's a core of players at Ultimate Airsoft who are not welcome anywhere else. We only need to increase the push behind the factors that drove that group out.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:03   #67
Grudge
multitech

I agree with most of the comments made here. There needs to be a way to get back to the values that most of us started out with years ago.

Its funny this thread came up now. Over the last couple of weeks my team has been playing at a local field that usually hosts alot of younger players. Everytime we play as a team even if we are out numbered 3 to 1 we steamroll them, using comms and tactics. Its fun of 1 game then gets old really quickly. Usually they try to split us up so that the sides are alot more even. THen it becomes a battle between our team members with other bodies getting in the way.

So one of our members talked to the field about us running some tactical classes during games. Helping these new players learn how to us strategy and team work, rather than just run and gun. We all agreed that if we can do this we will help to create a better level of players and have these younger guys and gals shown how to have fun and play with honor. Something that is sorely missing in most games.

We don't know if it will work but we do know that if we don't do something, soon the younger players will not show up if we are there. We want it to be exactly the opposite.

If was how most of my team learned, taken under the wing of a most experienced player and taught the ways of the game.

We see if it works or not.
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:11   #68
wintez
formerly known as scrumgay.... err I mean scrumguy. aka Resident Fat Guy of Epic Porportions of the Southern Alberta Area (yes he's that big!). Will pole dance in a pink tutu for loonies. Use to play with balls around many other men for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post

And Rob, where was this meathead at thst was shooting you? Black Denial last year?
RAAT a last year....was chatting to Dave in the village

Wintez - I accidently banned myself from ASC on my first day as an admin, I love the sausage!!

Age Verifier for Southern Alberta
wintez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 11:15   #69
lurkingknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffradical View Post
^That's a good post.

Can people also please explain to me why head shots are so reviled? I'm not baiting anyone here, I'd honestly like to hear why a double tap to the head is considered bannable.
I personally don't think it's a bannable offense, I just see it as a dick move when you have 500fps and a scope at your disposal if you have a sniper rifle. Yes it IS a player's own fault if they aren't wearing a face mask, and players who don't should realize it's on them if they don't wear one, it's not on the shooter, so if teeth get shot out, it's not on the shooter in this case... well unless the shooter could shoot anywhere except the face and still aims for the face. That would be a dick move.

If all your target presents is a head and a muzzle, that's all you got to shoot at.. if you're taking rounds, you shoot back. That's legit.

I got a problem with people walking up to you and repeatedly shooting you in the face, ears, neck, whether it be lack of control or malicious intent. You should be aware of your trigger discipline.

This thread is a direct result of someone who was shot multiple times in the face from extreme close range during and after the player had called hit and presented no threat. Safety gear being compromised aside (his glassed shifted under the onslaught or reaction and resulted in a shot to the tear duct). The shooter was incompetent or malicious, and it was dangerous play. That close, full body exposure, you choose to shoot for the face and ignore the hit call... THAT should be bannable.
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:02   #70
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
This thread is a direct result of someone who was shot multiple times in the face from extreme close range during and after the player had called hit and presented no threat.
Yes and No.

That discussion was part of this post, but over the past 2 years I have been involved in many discussions about headshot kills, including discussions about specific teams who made it a point to only get headshots (including headshots on dead players for initiation points). As well as from games where I have been an admin dealing with and watching people accuse each other of cheating when myself or other admins could see hat their shots were not getting through.

It's also bad when admins are being shot while wearing bright reflective vests in broad daylight (we had an admin up a ladder on a tree, setting up pyro effects, 20' off the ground taking headshots). Had we been able to pinpoint and catch said person they would have been ejected from the game and made known to the full spectrum of mass players who they were.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=174161 - Honour & Respect your fellow players! #Airsofthonourandrespect
BloodSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 13:29   #71
Ricochet
Can I ask you a serious question? How much sand can you fit in your vagina?

Head shots in of themselves are a tricky topic. First of all we can all agree that purposefully trying to hurt or injure a player is wrong, intentionally shooting an admin or dead player is wrong, and over shooting a player intentionally is wrong.

It becomes squiffy once you remove the word 'intentionally' and you get into words like 'accidentally' or 'carelessly'. Although you can hold a player accountable for their laziness and mistakes, and sometimes we should, the best of us will make mistakes. I've shot admins and teammates and everything else, it happens and it's just a part and a risk of the game, period.

Head shots were always a point of contention for us though. We would never outright ban them, because well, that's too hard to do really, they are in many ways an accepted part of airsoft, and we've seen teams, clubs, fields, etc, have their airsoft completely fall apart by trying to ban head shots. I do accept that players can wear a helmet, neck protector, full sealed goggles and a mask to protect themselves, and that that is at their discretion, what level of protection they use. Let's face it, you can't complain about headsets just because you don't like them, they hurt, they're inconvenient, or you failed to adequately protect yourself.

Head shots are only really unacceptable when they are COMPLETELY avoidable. Someone blasting you in the face from ten feet away, when your whole body is visible is a nuisance. Other than that, wind, brush, distance, quick reflexes, BB deviation and everything in between are all reasonable risks of the game. If only a head is given, then only a head I will shoot for. I myself have had two teeth broken and plenty of bleeders, but the other player has to be extremely careless for me to get upset. Getting tens of BBs to the face is unreasonable and so is getting shot while you are OBVIOUSLY dead. By obviously dead I mean you are hands up, guns down and dead rag on, yelled "HIT!!!" coupled with the fact that you are sitting bleeding out or getting out of the combat area and not hanging around. You also have to think that the enemy players have to be able to see these distinctions clearly. If they can't tell that you're dead, you will get shot.

ROF and overzealous shooters have become an issue though, I will admit to that. At range or through brush, Any player with half a brain will send at least a few insurance rounds down range, so you may get peppered a few times. Getting ten or twenty is too much surely, but what about when it's suppressing fire from an LMG, which is not necessarily aimed at you, they can't hear you call your hits, or the brush or cover you are behind is mostly impenetrable, but they are set on eliminating you? Well, I'll tell you. There's no shame on yelling out your hit when you are hopelessly pinned. The longer you press a bad situation, the more likely your attackers will get closer and the more guns will be aimed at you. I've seen players catch hundreds of rounds because he attracted a lot of attention and wouldn't give up. Players moved in from all sides and sprayed him, because that was what they needed to do to get him. You can always protect your face with your gun or the ground as well, but sometimes things will go bad.

Now onto intentionally targeting heads all the time. Head shots are generally considered an accepted evil, more or less. But if you are strictly targeting heads when other targets are available, then you will maximize the number of injured and upset players there are. Only repeat offenders can only really be caught doing this, but it would seem to me to be an ejectable offense. This isn't of course referring to the careless, yet apologetic players. So, lots of gray. Lots and lots and lots.

I can tell you what isn't okay though, is tempers. I'm not talking about the guys who swear when they get shot in the ear or something, or throw down their gun after they biff it into the mud and hurt their ankle, or whatever, but the explosive attitudes that are projected at others. It is never okay to snap on another player, barring of course they don't do something blatantly illegal to you, like assault. But idiots shooting you in the face, not calling their hits, or whathaveyou, does not give you the right to scream and yell at them.

BC & YUKON MASTER AV REPRESENTITIVE
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 14:24   #72
lurkingknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSport View Post
Yes and No.

That discussion was part of this post, but over the past 2 years I have been involved in many discussions about headshot kills, including discussions about specific teams who made it a point to only get headshots (including headshots on dead players for initiation points). As well as from games where I have been an admin dealing with and watching people accuse each other of cheating when myself or other admins could see hat their shots were not getting through.

It's also bad when admins are being shot while wearing bright reflective vests in broad daylight (we had an admin up a ladder on a tree, setting up pyro effects, 20' off the ground taking headshots). Had we been able to pinpoint and catch said person they would have been ejected from the game and made known to the full spectrum of mass players who they were.
then there be some assholes there. :P

yeah, scrub teams making it a mandate to accumulate headshots should be shunned. That's not an honorable practice, it's making people take advantage of vulnerable players.

As for continuing the dialog on upping the level of players, I also proposed to a couple teams at my local field that we need to do more to elevate the level of play. Steamrolling scrub/pug opponents is fun and novel but it wears off and beating them with an embarrasing point count doesn't do us any good, we want to operate as a team, getting split up will not allow us to practice team sized tactics, only pairs and small groups. So I also proposed to them of running a mentorship program during game days where we walk newer players through some of the tactics we employ or some basic team work tactics on a whiteboard. Newer players often just stand at max range and lob shots, they congregate and they refuse to move, so they'll get steamrolled because 7 guys are shooting at 1 guy instead of 1 guy and 2-3 guys maneuvering for the kill while the rest watch the flanks.

This sort of rolls into my next point... The newer or younger players often have a culture or attitude that accumulated kills counts for everything, rather than achieving game objectives or how well you functioned as a fire team, squad or unit, how your tactics worked and how well you can engage and last through a firefight.

Older players need to help younger players see this, as they are absolutely 100% coach-able in my experience.
Old September 16th, 2015, 14:29   #73
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
This sort of rolls into my next point... The newer or younger players often have a culture or attitude that accumulated kills counts for everything, rather than achieving game objectives or how well you functioned as a fire team, squad or unit, how your tactics worked and how well you can engage and last through a firefight.

Older players need to help younger players see this, as they are absolutely 100% coach-able in my experience.
Agreed, seeing and hearing this more and more.

At OP Fiery Spoon V, there was a younger new player commenting to me how surprised he was at his kill ratio and that he was so happy he got so many kills versus deaths.

I responded with "That is nice, but did you have fun?", he said yes and I said "good that is what matters most" Having fun is what this sport was about, not who had the highest FPS, most kills or was so L33T they could not die. Sure they were always a part of the discussion, but the fun was the main part.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=174161 - Honour & Respect your fellow players! #Airsofthonourandrespect
BloodSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 16:45   #74
Stryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post

Retailers don't help new players mentalities either by pushing shit like ICS and G&G on new players, claiming that they're good guns to hit the field with and keep players on an even footing. When I started, it was pretty much an unwritten rule that you'd play a few games and get an idea what was going on, but if you were going to be getting into it seriously, your gun wouldn't remain stock for long (except TM mechboxes at the time, you didn't open those unless you HAD to). This leads new players to label any higher quality guns or upgraded guns as "cheap tricks" and "unfair". I've listened to players complain about upgraded VFC, PTW and polarstars, I've even had a player accuse me of cheating because my polarstar M16 is more accurate and out ranged his stock ICS rifle, which had a barrel shorter than 10.5 inches. When I commented on this, he proceeded to remark that I lie and cheat because the retailer (One guess as to who. Hint: "Official" ICS retailer) said his gun was from a good company and would put him on a level playing field with anything he'd likely come across.
So wait a minute here. You blame the retailers for selling 'not the best quality guns' and you preach the upgraded gun? This is what's wrong with players now! They think that when they buy an airsoft gun, whatever brand it is may be, it will outrange and out shoot everyone else's gun! When I first started in the late 90's, we pushed players for being better at the sport before they get an upgraded gun, a hot gun (higher fps, not necessarily 450 fps). We believed in 'Upgrade the Player before Upgrade the gun'.

Whether the new player has a G&G or ICS as you may claim 'SHIT', that player may be also new to the sport and still learning the ropes. I hope you understand the meaning of 'Be an enabler not a disabler'. New players will buy what they can afford in this sport. Let that sink in a bit...
Old September 16th, 2015, 17:00   #75
Grudge
multitech

Doesn't have to be new players that complain about high performance guns. Had a guy, 57, with a MP5 frankengun (built from spare parts) complain when he was being outdistanced by a KC02 (with all the trimmings) said we were cheating and not calling our hits. A guy on his team explained about our guns, then he complained and said we were cheating using upgraded guns. Wanted the FPS checked on them, they were well under 400FPS. Then went on to say that us having comms was cheating, and that skill was what was needed in this game, of which he had none, even after professing to have years of military experience (spec ops and that sort).

So its not just the younger players that need education. This guys is well know to not call his hits but continues to play because his buddy owns the field.

All the guys on my team have 5+ years of experience playing, we went through the shitty gun, to better player, to better gun routine. We also do team training, run through our strategy before a round. We also stay on comms and adjust as needed, calling out enemy movements and reacting to them.

Education is the biggest need, but there are those out there that will not be educated. I try to avaiod them as much as possible or just walk away from their BS.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > ASC News and Announcements