Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Has Honour and Respect in Airsoft Died?

:

ASC News and Announcements

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:23   #1
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Has Honour and Respect in Airsoft Died?

Where has all the honour and respect of this sport gone?

Definition:
honour
noun
- [MASS NOUN] High respect; great esteem:
- [IN SINGULAR] A person or thing that brings esteem

SYNONYMS
- Something regarded as a rare opportunity and bringing pride and pleasure; a privilege:
- a thing conferred as a distinction, especially an official award for bravery or achievement.

verb
Regard with great respect:

SYNONYMS
- Pay public respect to.
- Fulfil (an obligation) or keep (an agreement):

- Be honourable in your actions, honour the base rules of this game and those you play with. Call your own hits, control your anger when you perceive someone else is cheating (walk off field approach an admin and ask for them to deal with, versus screaming/yelling/getting in someones face).

respect
noun
- [MASS NOUN] A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements:
SYNONYMS
- The state of being admired or respected:
- (respects) A person’s polite greetings:
- informal Used to express the speaker’s approval of someone or something
- Due regard for the feelings, wishes, or rights of others

verb
- Admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements
- Have due regard for (someone’s feelings, wishes, or rights)
- Avoid harming or interfering with
- Agree to recognize and abide by (a legal requirement)

Will all the cheaper and easier access to guns in the past few years, the aspect of honour and respect has appeared to die with them.

The first rules when this game first started off and for many many many years was to honour your fellow players, and respect them, yourself and the guns we use. Players who broke the rules, or went out of their way to inflict more harm were chastised and taught to not do so. If they chose to continue they were removed from the groups and game and asked to not come back.

Now we have players who are know for (and in some cases have themselves stated they) only taking headshots. Heck there is even a few teams known to have initiation requirements for new players to get x amount of headshots (including headshots on already dead players) before they become full members of their teams, even when full body mass shots are available.

We have players and event/field hosts who are encouraging/endorsing headshots and unsafe practices because the player who got shot "should have worn better protection" because they are playing a sport where they get shot at. For 15+ years this sport never required body armour/full face protection. Why? Because it use to be common practice that as new players were brought into this sport, they were taught to better themselves as players before upgrading their guns. Now that guns come pre upgraded this seems to have been thrown out the window. Why?

Is it that people have less regard for their fellow player and feel that they are so macho and impervious to common sense that we feel the need to hurt our fellow players so we can be "cool" or "elite"???

A cool or elite player should be one who exemplifies what this sport should be about. Respect for your fellow players and the guns we use is what should be strived for, not inflicting undue injury/pain.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=174161 - Honour & Respect your fellow players! #Airsofthonourandrespect
BloodSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:04   #2
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
The sport of airsoft used to be hush hush, and expensive.

Now little jimmy can get his mom to buy him a 100 dollar pump shotgun and drop him off at the local airsoft field, while she goes and has quality time with her husband before coming to pick up her spawn 8 hours later.

With popularity comes the decline of quality, and fields that value making money over player safety and enjoyment.

One such field host here in Toronto, allowed a young player to jab his pistol into players backs and fire multiple times. Nothing was done. Cant make money off people if they are banned after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:07   #3
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
The sport of airsoft used to be hush hush, and expensive.

Now little jimmy can get his mom to buy him a 100 dollar pump shotgun and drop him off at the local airsoft field, while she goes and has quality time with her husband before coming to pick up her spawn 8 hours later.

With popularity comes the decline of quality, and fields that value making money over player safety and enjoyment.

One such field host here in Toronto, allowed a young player to jab his pistol into players backs and fire multiple times. Nothing was done. Cant make money off people if they are banned after all.
I had a similar feeling as well...

Kids brandishing, having pissing contests, etc. The sport used to be sacred and actually required its participants to be mature and responsible for their actions.

Airsoft has gone the way of paintball...

Then you will pay that person to fix it for you.

Then you're not going to let your friends play with anything unless it's made by Fisher Price.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:11   #4
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
I had a similar feeling as well...

Kids brandishing, having pissing contests, etc. The sport used to be sacred and actually required its participants to be mature and responsible for their actions.

Airsoft has gone the way of paintball...
Its not just up to the fields to teach though, the players themselves need to help teach the younger players.

What would a field follow when it comes to $$$, 20 players who say they will not play due to 1 player, or the 1 player who cheats??

If the majority say this 1 is not safe we will not play with him if not fixed/removed, the field will listen to the majority.

We have always had minors playing (I started when I was 15) so saying that is the reason is not an excuse.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=174161 - Honour & Respect your fellow players! #Airsofthonourandrespect
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:23   #5
-Shade

I agree with all of this.

While I definitely see issues with younger players, I sometimes feel like many drama/problems are still caused by older players. Yelling, calling out other's hits from across the field, and the belief in dumping your entire mag into someone who you think is cheating is okay (after they've called their hit even - this is assault in my book). I feel like people just need to breathe once in a while and try to get the refs/game admin involved instead - it's just a game after all.

BUY MY PARTS
BUY MY GEAR
Gun Doc Services - GunDoctorShade@gmail.com

Last edited by -Shade; September 14th, 2015 at 13:23.. Reason: words
-Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:26   #6
sixb0nes

The first paintball folks probably said the same thing about their beloved sport when the masses flooded in and money-making machine started to churn.

Take honour and respect and apply it to any daily interaction you have; for fear of sounding old, times have changed.

Like minded people will always come together. Grow your circle and ignore the rest.
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:26   #7
BioRage
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Had an incident before where 1 guy was cheating constantly and the field knew about it. They never banned him though, even the one staff that was playing was uber pissed and walked off.

The one time I brought a group of 14-18 people, the guy never called his hits, we had it on our cameras too, lol. I walked off 2 hrs or so after, followed by most of my group, and we left.

He's still not banned, but the staff and owner talked to him, and he said he "doesn't feel hits." - Which I think is BS, in anycase... the guys not banned, but I feel as most places need to enforce their rules more strictly.

The only time I could see them banning people if there was property damage (I.E shooting lights.)

This is why I stick to semi/private games, but even those can be bad, so you can't really have optimal peace. You just need a good community, and staff to enforce rules and shit.
BioRage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:35   #8
Danke

It doesn't sound the problem players & teams in Bloodsport's post are random minors dropped off with a spring shotgun or Crossman cleasoft.

This is a group who can afford upgraded guns and have been on the scene long enough to establish a team with enough of a reputation that new players want in with them.

Honestly the only way to move forward is to name and shame groups and players like that.

The nice guy thing to do first is to drop a private word to them prior to so they can change but I'd guess that may have already happened and they're too high speed to listen to anyone outside of the clique.
Old September 14th, 2015, 13:58   #9
BloodSport
Traveling Man

I agree that they should be named, but only with solid proof not just a he/she said. Photos/video (especially video now that there is more contour/gopros out there).

If you have a video of someone showing BB's bouncing off them and not calling hits, that is solid proof. Then yea sure lets name them, make them known to all so that they can be watched. The mass of players who agree with this need to let fields know that as well. Show them he you know us 20+ guys that come out every weekend and spend combined $400+ a week playing here will not play or come if said person is allowed to continue. Then enforce it, stop going there go to a different field for a few weeks, make the fields notice the loss of your revenue (especially if they are also a retailer selling guns/bbs).

Old September 14th, 2015, 14:19   #10
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Devil's advocate for a third angle:

I was brought in with an intense sense of personal responsibility along with 'respect' and 'honour'.
That meant where an adult chose not to wear face protection, that was tbeir informed choice. Face protection was always highly recommend outdoors (with tales of broken teeth emphasized), and outright mandatory indoors. Those who chose not to wear a cage (myself included at times), did so knowing full well what would happen if someone accidentally discharged into their face, or knowingly discharged into their face if the unprotected person presented no other target.
It was always heavily given that you didn't shoot the head if there was any other option, but it was ultimately the fault of the unprotected when they caught a bleeder on the lip.
People caught being careless, or malicious with abuse of MEDs were reprimanded or banned, but mostly it was "Oh dude, you okay?" "Yeah, lol, good thing I had my mouth closed. " "Yeah, wow, glad you're okay. Wasn't trying to rip you up like that. "Ha, no problem, see you in the game."

Rules and the social contract can limit the damage done to peoples' bodies and egos, but only you can protect you from other players.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 14:28   #11
BioRage
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSport View Post
I agree that they should be named, but only with solid proof not just a he/she said. Photos/video (especially video now that there is more contour/gopros out there).

If you have a video of someone showing BB's bouncing off them and not calling hits, that is solid proof. Then yea sure lets name them, make them known to all so that they can be watched. The mass of players who agree with this need to let fields know that as well. Show them he you know us 20+ guys that come out every weekend and spend combined $400+ a week playing here will not play or come if said person is allowed to continue. Then enforce it, stop going there go to a different field for a few weeks, make the fields notice the loss of your revenue (especially if they are also a retailer selling guns/bbs).
IF we have solid proof, can you make a sticky with name list, ASC ID + w/ video link?
BioRage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 14:29   #12
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffradical View Post
Devil's advocate for a third angle:

I was brought in with an intense sense of personal responsibility along with 'respect' and 'honour'.
That meant where an adult chose not to wear face protection, that was tbeir informed choice. Face protection was always highly recommend outdoors (with tales of broken teeth emphasized), and outright mandatory indoors. Those who chose not to wear a cage (myself included at times), did so knowing full well what would happen if someone accidentally discharged into their face, or knowingly discharged into their face if the unprotected person presented no other target.
It was always heavily given that you didn't shoot the head if there was any other option, but it was ultimately the fault of the unprotected when they caught a bleeder on the lip.
People caught being careless, or malicious with abuse of MEDs were reprimanded or banned, but mostly it was "Oh dude, you okay?" "Yeah, lol, good thing I had my mouth closed. " "Yeah, wow, glad you're okay. Wasn't trying to rip you up like that. "Ha, no problem, see you in the game."

Rules and the social contract can limit the damage done to peoples' bodies and egos, but only you can protect you from other players.
That is not a third angle at all.

And you keyed in on my point in your post.

People apologized, recognized they made a headshot and corrected themselves. <--- this is the honour and respect missing from many
Those who did not were reprimanded or banned. <-- this was the consequence if you did not have said honour & respect.

Old September 14th, 2015, 15:23   #13
BloodSport
Traveling Man

FYI this is not a name/shame thread, this is a discussion regarding the respect and honour missing in our sport.

I'll make a section/post later this week where those who have proof can post as long as they follow a set guideline.

Old September 14th, 2015, 15:26   #14
lurkingknight

honestly I get worse behavior from adult players than kid players. The kids you can teach, they will listen and learn. Adults have too much ego and think they're always right. It always comes down to comparing dick lengths if you're talking to adults about safety and respect.
Old September 14th, 2015, 15:33   #15
Rossco66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestobanana View Post
I don't have a name here, but this Chinese guy is so bad that it was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsZTG3KCm7o
If that wasn't so ridiculous it would be laughable. WTF are people thinking?

We set up elaborate games to play in order to add variety and 9 times out of ten nobody even remembers or cares who won.

This is supposed to be a fun hobby/sport and unfortunately many players have completely lost sight of that.

I get that this type of activity attracts primarily Alpha males that like guns and no group doing anything is immune to A holes, but some guys have consistently taken this too far. I won't be surprised to read on hear someday where somebody over shot the wrong guys and got his face smashed in for his troubles.

We need to encourage fair and honest play as much as possible and exercises the jack asses, because we all know who they are, is the only way to remove them from the sport.

Just my 2 cents with a vast experience of 3 years to draw on.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > ASC News and Announcements