Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

can you transform an AR into a LMG

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 12th, 2014, 18:29   #1
HAMR
 
HAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
can you transform an AR into a LMG

I have a M4 cqb s but I'd like to adopt a lmg support roll
- - NERD ALERT- -
Im a fan of warhammer 40k and wanted to build a body kit for the heavy bolter and use the AEG as the powersorce. Essentially I'll be building a shell and AEG will go in a idea.
The shell is so that there is no permanent modification to the AEG.

Is this allowed or am I just crazy?

Also. How do you exchange the barrel on an AEG to a longer one.
__________________
Duty Never Ends
HAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 18:39   #2
Dracheous
Lego Head
 
Dracheous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gatineau, that's right I'm in QUEBEC!
You'd not be the first to under take such a project.

And yes, its perfectly legal as a Bolter is not a real fire arm so you'd not be creating a replica firearm.
This Bolt pistol is made from a G36.



He even did an extensive project time line showing how he did it all:

http://www.librarium-online.com/?p=4197


For a Heavy Bolter I'd start with a 249. Strip down everything you can off it; stock, head shield, carry handle, etc. And simply build off that.

Problem you're going to run into is that the hand held ((Sgt. Harker)) Heavy Bolter had the pistol grip angled back with a second grip so that he heaved it around like a chainsaw. What I'd see you building out of the 249 would be more resembling a pintle or tripod mounted Heavy Bolter.

You might want to go towards a simple Bolter off a G36 similar to the pistol above just build it bigger to the Bolter spec.


But after ALL that said and done; you'd probably want to start it all by getting Verified so you have access to cheaper parts and more information on working with airsoft parts. Changing out barrels is a simple process that just takes some attention to detail and patience ((god damn rubbers that tear, seriously, nothing fucks up your life more than a broken rubber!))
__________________
_________________________________

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 20:20   #3
Chillyrabbit
 
Chillyrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary
I think he wanted to convert a M4 CQB into a heavy bolter. You just stated how to do it using a 249. Informative but a little off the mark for him
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 20:56   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
Id start by finding a group that would freely accept it as a weapon.
We've got quite a few milsim leagues out here and although they might let it in the game, you may be laughed off the field.
But airsoft is for everyone, there should be a group that fits your niche =)
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 21:00   #5
Jimski
 
Jimski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
I can't wait to wear a terminator suit deep in the woods in summer
__________________
Jimski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 22:17   #6
HAMR
 
HAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Id start by finding a group that would freely accept it as a weapon.
We've got quite a few milsim leagues out here and although they might let it in the game, you may be laughed off the field.
But airsoft is for everyone, there should be a group that fits your niche =)
Yea I kinda thought that might be the case, though I'd like to think people are a little more mature especially in a tight group as airsoft.

Plus with this terrifying weapon who could laugh at it lol
__________________
Duty Never Ends
HAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 22:20   #7
HAMR
 
HAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
You'd not be the first to under take such a project.

And yes, its perfectly legal as a Bolter is not a real fire arm so you'd not be creating a replica firearm.
This Bolt pistol is made from a G36.



He even did an extensive project time line showing how he did it all:

http://www.librarium-online.com/?p=4197


For a Heavy Bolter I'd start with a 249. Strip down everything you can off it; stock, head shield, carry handle, etc. And simply build off that.

Problem you're going to run into is that the hand held ((Sgt. Harker)) Heavy Bolter had the pistol grip angled back with a second grip so that he heaved it around like a chainsaw. What I'd see you building out of the 249 would be more resembling a pintle or tripod mounted Heavy Bolter.

You might want to go towards a simple Bolter off a G36 similar to the pistol above just build it bigger to the Bolter spec.


But after ALL that said and done; you'd probably want to start it all by getting Verified so you have access to cheaper parts and more information on working with airsoft parts. Changing out barrels is a simple process that just takes some attention to detail and patience ((god damn rubbers that tear, seriously, nothing fucks up your life more than a broken rubber!))
Thanks for the post, I thought I wouldnt get any serious replies.
__________________
Duty Never Ends
HAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 22:23   #8
HAMR
 
HAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
This is what someone else built and what I'd like to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2835785616_cd8c975335.jpg (183.3 KB, 35 views)
__________________
Duty Never Ends
HAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 23:01   #9
R.I.T.Z
Crackers
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR View Post
Yea I kinda thought that might be the case, though I'd like to think people are a little more mature especially in a tight group as airsoft.

Plus with this terrifying weapon who could laugh at it lol
a lot of people would laugh.
The only "rifle into an lmg" I've seen is RPKs or a Shrike.

the main issue is finding a group that will allow it as a LMG.
as a skirmish weapon sure. but in a milsim game I doubt it highly
__________________
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 00:02   #10
HAMR
 
HAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
a lot of people would laugh.
The only "rifle into an lmg" I've seen is RPKs or a Shrike.

the main issue is finding a group that will allow it as a LMG.
as a skirmish weapon sure. but in a milsim game I doubt it highly
Are people really that strict??
__________________
Duty Never Ends
HAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 00:08   #11
Dracheous
Lego Head
 
Dracheous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gatineau, that's right I'm in QUEBEC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyrabbit View Post
I think he wanted to convert a M4 CQB into a heavy bolter. You just stated how to do it using a 249. Informative but a little off the mark for him
Well if we're going to nit pick I showed him how to do it using a G36 but suggested a 249. His question was it possible and clearly examples have shown it is. But you know, that's just posting useful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
I can't wait to wear a terminator suit deep in the woods in summer
That'd be boss. Call your hits before the thunder hammer comes down!


Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR View Post
This is what someone else built and what I'd like to do.
Really the only thing that stands in your way is mounting AEG internals into what ever you build. Once you accept the design of what you want then you just have to engineer yourself a mechbox, barrel, hopup and some sort of way to feed it all. For the HB this is why I suggested something more along the lines of a 249 because then you just use a big ammo box to feed it; make a shell to cover up or decorate one of the big oversized green ones from A&K. Really the only thing that will be difficult will be shimming and securing your motor to mechbox ((unless you go straight to a V3 mechbox and then its got a cage to fix that right up)) and making sure the ammo feed is aligned so you don't have double/tripple/no feeds. Everything else is cosmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
a lot of people would laugh.
The only "rifle into an lmg" I've seen is RPKs or a Shrike.

the main issue is finding a group that will allow it as a LMG.
as a skirmish weapon sure. but in a milsim game I doubt it highly
I have yet to see anyone ever denied playing with a Pulse Rifle in full Colonial Marine kit. Only to hear people complain that there's no Predator; but let's face it, if he can go invisible and play with lasers it's going to be a bad day for everyone else. :P

When did Milsims stop allowing LMGs? I mean if that's how a MILSIM is now then I think I'll stay retired. I could understand the organizer getting worried about an entire team of 50 249's combing the bush. But generally the weight and bulk of LMG's keep the numbers of them on the field down. At one time it was purely cost and it was encouraged to those who owned em to run em.
__________________
_________________________________

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!

Last edited by Dracheous; July 13th, 2014 at 00:12..
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 00:37   #12
HackD
 
HackD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere between Hamilton Ontario, and Hell..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR View Post
Are people really that strict??
Skirmish/field days? No, generally they aren't that strict. It's usually a come as you are, and run what you've brought.

Milsim? Whole different kettle of fish. 'Military Simulation', is just that.. a simulation of real world counterparts, as close as people want to get in a game.. which generally includes close guidelines on uniform and gear worn, with the expectation that weapons being carried have a counterpart in the real world, and on the same general side. There can also be restrictions on the number of SAW's/LMG's being carried on a squad basis, and requirement that they are real world SAW's/LMG's, that are acceptable to fill that role.

I applaud your idea of some creative wizardry in turning something into a fantasy gun .. whatever floats your boat. However, you need to recognize that whatever is created in the fantasy realm, may see some limitations in acceptance by others/organizers at some skirmish/field days - and by most, if not all Milsim events.

I've got my own idea for an AEG conversion, involving a surplus M14.. a Browning M2 .50cal BMG 'ma deuce' .. but i recognize first and foremost that it would have to be a very close approximation to the real-deal, to find acceptance at a Milsim, and it'd be pretty much useless to bring to the average skirmish/field day.

Last edited by HackD; July 13th, 2014 at 00:53..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 01:06   #13
R.I.T.Z
Crackers
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
/snip
When did Milsims stop allowing LMGs? I mean if that's how a MILSIM is now then I think I'll stay retired. I could understand the organizer getting worried about an entire team of 50 249's combing the bush. But generally the weight and bulk of LMG's keep the numbers of them on the field down. At one time it was purely cost and it was encouraged to those who owned em to run em.
I think you misunderstood my comment.
I did not say milsims do not allow LMGs, but using a weapon from a table top strategy game in a milsim is generally frowned upon and chances are low that it would be allowed.
Milsims are for realism, and using that is not realistic. if he had an rpk, m249, m60 etc... that'd be another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR View Post
Are people really that strict??
Milsims yes, but for your average pick up skirmish games no.
I've seen airsoft builds with halo rifles and the like but those get taken to the fun silly games like skirmishes or zombies and such but not milsim.
__________________
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:54   #14
HAMR
 
HAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Skirmish/field days? No, generally they aren't that strict. It's usually a come as you are, and run what you've brought.

Milsim? Whole different kettle of fish. 'Military Simulation', is just that.. a simulation of real world counterparts, as close as people want to get in a game.. which generally includes close guidelines on uniform and gear worn, with the expectation that weapons being carried have a counterpart in the real world, and on the same general side. There can also be restrictions on the number of SAW's/LMG's being carried on a squad basis, and requirement that they are real world SAW's/LMG's, that are acceptable to fill that role.

I applaud your idea of some creative wizardry in turning something into a fantasy gun .. whatever floats your boat. However, you need to recognize that whatever is created in the fantasy realm, may see some limitations in acceptance by others/organizers at some skirmish/field days - and by most, if not all Milsim events.

I've got my own idea for an AEG conversion, involving a surplus M14.. a Browning M2 .50cal BMG 'ma deuce' .. but i recognize first and foremost that it would have to be a very close approximation to the real-deal, to find acceptance at a Milsim, and it'd be pretty much useless to bring to the average skirmish/field day.

Ah OK I get it, i was under the impression that it was out of smugary they would laugh or not allow such a weapon but I see now its more like a reinacment of a modern battle and to use a weapon out of that flavor would deminish the experience.

On the opposite side of the same coin, new weapons are designed and built every day, new innovations and better systems (x-8, G 11, ext) so not arguing with your point but if it looked good enough (as I won't spend 20 min on it lol) why couldn't they accept it as a new weapon, say a H&K HB 115? Just a thought.
__________________
Duty Never Ends
HAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 13:03   #15
R.I.T.Z
Crackers
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR View Post
Ah OK I get it, i was under the impression that it was out of smugary they would laugh or not allow such a weapon but I see now its more like a reinacment of a modern battle and to use a weapon out of that flavor would deminish the experience.

On the opposite side of the same coin, new weapons are designed and built every day, new innovations and better systems (x-8, G 11, ext) so not arguing with your point but if it looked good enough (as I won't spend 20 min on it lol) why couldn't they accept it as a new weapon, say a H&K HB 115? Just a thought.
you'd have to discuss that with the game host.
if they say yeah sure its some new super awesome gun the military has been experimenting with fine.
but if they say no, its a milsim use current weapons. then you have to use a current weapon.
__________________
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.