Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Becoming an Airsoft Enthusiast

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 10th, 2014, 20:23   #16
Karsten Heidt
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
If you're seriously in to trying out WW2 reenacting, check out our group here:

http://ontarioairsoftwwiireenactors.com/forum/index.php

It's a great group, and the atmosphere at our events you won't get any other way.
__________________
Gefreiter Karsten Heidt
5./Fallschirm-Jäger Regiment 5



Join Us
Karsten Heidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 20:48   #17
AlexGPS
 
AlexGPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Scarorough Toronto
Wow! That is honestly the best "getting into airsoft" text iv read. Anyhow about some questions you have, id like to share my 2 cents on them. Im an active airsofter for almost 2 years now and trust me its the best sport/hobby/lifestyle anyone can have. Its great exercise and great meeting people and interacting with your friends. The question about what gun you should get, what variable of this and that, what gear and so on, its all on personal preference. Some people like ACU's some people still run DPM others run Multicam and so on. The variations of things you can buy for airsoft are endless. As for what gun id recommend an M4 in the beginning simply because there are hundreds of variants plus they are the most common types of airsoft guns out there. You can find spare parts from anywhere for M4s. On mil-sim and WW2 re-enactment id say give it a shot once your all set up with your gear and a bit more experienced. Youd enjoy it more in my opinion. Mil-sim is too hard core for the average airsofter and it might give you a wrong opinion on what airsoft is. As for how to start and where just get AV'ed (what im going to do as soon as i come to Canada) and start from there. Get yourself a good pair of ballistic rated glasses and show up at a game one day. Im pretty sure people in Canada rent or lend airsoft guns for newbies and see how it goes from there. It might look good on youtube and ASC forums but you might not like it due to many reasons. Anyhow thats my opinions on the subject. If you need any questions answered or whatever else airsoft related just hit me a PM. Id be glad to help with whatever is needed.

P.S Airsoft is a drug. It gets through your system and never lets go. You think about airsoft 24/7.
AlexGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 21:02   #18
HackD
 
HackD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere between Hamilton Ontario, and Hell..
Welcome to the game.. literally and figuratively.

It sounds like you are of similar age to myself - and with a level of disposable income available, not normally available to the average younger noob fresh to the scene.. provided that SHMBO does not object/kill you for making financial choices that are even poorer than hers..

With this, comes benefits and pitfalls. Some of those pitfalls, you've already recognized, interspersed throughout your post..

#1 - take your time. Figure out what you want to do beyond the bare financial basics of Airsoft, before buying into it further/expanding beyond what the basics require. This makes all the difference in the world, as far as a large collection of guns little used (or sold at a loss) and a small selection of guns, often used. Same goes with equipment/gear/clothing. Get the basics required.. and play a half dozen games, before going financially insane.

#2 - feed that potential addiction with the moderating antidote of reading and researching all aspects of airsoft - not just on this forum, but elsewhere also. You'll learn quickly which opinions to consider, and which one's to dismiss, as far as the direction you wish to go with all this.. purchases, personal equipment setup, reviews, advantages vs disadvantages.. all aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post

Now I’ve looked into pistols so much I’m left with more questions that answers! There are the 1911 models, similar looking 2011 models, the crazy auto shooters, the silencer types and oh so much more. Gas-Blow-Back and Non-Blow-Back, different models that resemble real steel and made with full metal. Plastic, spring, green gas, co2…
Get a basic, work-horse pistol first. Find a shop, and try some grips on for the size of your paws. Ergonomics is key. KJW, KWA generally aren't bad for first choice pistols. Setting it up for 3-4 mags, should be sufficient for it's purpose as a back-up. As you gain experience/you cast your eyes about the safe-zone and observe what other people are using, you may be tempted to expand the side-arm armory.. do not be afraid to ask other players to play "show and tell" about their pistol, for the benefit of further knowledge.. most people are happy to prattle on about their toys, no matter their age!

I started off with a KJW M9 .. it did me fine for 2 seasons. I am entering season 3 with an additional KJW P229 (more compact, plate-carrier carry) and a KWA PTP Mk3 (1911 - the grip is actually more suitable for my small paws as compared to the M9 and P229) for a little bit of variety. Each have their own place, in different load-out setups. In all honesty.. the M9 would be fine as the sole pistol to have, the other two are simply gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I used to think the pistols were confusing! Wow the rifle options!! Do I get the AK 47 or 74, do I go more Canadian Military and choose the M4, or maybe the M5. But then there was this killer looking bolt action rifle… They looked real; some had actual wood “furniture”. They were seriously close to the real steel counterparts. I wasn’t just confused by all the options; I was becoming dangerously “interested” in buying! The more I researched the guns and accessories, the more I was beginning to think I was becoming a lost cause, that I would never get out of this is I bought just one little thing!
The best advice i can give, is for a good all-around first-time airsoft go-to gun - get an AEG from one of the good rated mid-level manufacturer's, and get something that has most commonality with other airsoft players on the field. This is going to be an M4/M16, or an AK47/74 variant. Buy something that is TM compatible, and not of proprietary design.

Once you get a good, solid gun as your primary.. again, any follow-up primary guns are going to be gravy on your airsoft experience.

Once you have played a bit, and discovered exactly what style of play you enjoy .. then you can open your wallet up further and let all sense of financial responsibility disappear.

I've got several primaries.. but each fills a role that i explore at least once or twice in a season. I've got a couple M4's that get the most use, but I've also got an M14 DMR when i am feeling lazy and want to hide in the weeds, an MP5 for CQB indoors, an AK74 for that 'OPFOR' role, and an LMG .. just because i could. 3 years on, i can safely say that i've satiated my thirst for primaries.. unless i get bitten by the GBBR bug.. i'm resisting infection on that, so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
Like a babe in the woods, I have no defenses against the terrible retailers offering me such sweet, sweet candy! I want two of everything and three of the things I need most!
The only defenses you have, is this. See something new and shiney at the airsoft shop?.. the 24 hr rule applies. Come back in 24 hrs, if you still like it, the finances are agreeable, and SHMBO hasn't found your airsoft cache hiding spot yet.. then buy it. Spend the 24 hrs in-between reviewing reviews, and doing comparison shopping.. who knows, you might find something even better in your research that will have made that perspective purchase inadvisable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
Answers to questions and options are like the grains of sand on a beach, there are many… very many! So free kin MANY!! The main options, is to go with what’s right for you. But how do you know what will be right before you are into the sport? I may not have many answers, but I’m jumping in with both feet anyhow!
By all means, jump in with both feet.. you only live once. Just take some baby-steps first in the shallow end, before wading in right up to your neck! Good luck and enjoy!
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 21:18   #19
Boche
I am memel, hear me roar!
 
Boche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mt. Pleasant, On.
When I glanced at the title, I thought it said 'Becoming an Airsoft Athiest'.

Carry on, thread jack over.
__________________

76991693
The Shepherd always finds His sheep.
The Flat Earth has me Levelled.
Boche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 00:19   #20
r.d.fretz
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Bay
It would appear that I should have joined this forum and started posting way sooner! I wasn't into Airsoft guns no matter how cool they looked. That is until last year when I was at a gun show. I saw a couple booths that offered some interesting looking guns. I listened as several people talked about them for a few minutes. I was baffled that my 17yo son knew what type was what and its FPS rating and so on. I was looking at the real steel and knew about them while he had no clue. And here he knew details I would never have guessed at. That was a very odd feeling. My son knew more about guns than I did!

As I listened and he pointed out a few different models he liked, I made the worse mistake any man could! I picked up a Walther CP99. I hate to admit it, but at first I was confused why this little thing didn't look quite right. Felt right, good weight, nice balance... "This thing takes co2?!" It was too late… I was done for!

To make matters worse, I was back in the van calling "She Who Must Be Obeyed" trying to break it to her gently. I tried softening the blow by saying I didn't spend too much, just a few dollars... My son sitting beside me broke into a deep belly laugh when he heard the scream coming through the cell phone... "You bought a WHAT?! Are you (cursing) NUTS?!?" I wasn't sure if my son was about to “soil” the car's seat or if I'd have a bed INSIDE the house that night.

NOW you tell me there is a 24hr rule?! What the…!?!

I think it’s pretty funny that you think I have a disposable income. My good man I have a wife and kids! If there is any money that can be disposed of, it usually is!

Actually she’s great for letting me get toys if I do it the right way. (Usually involves a lot of chocolate and some flowers). You should have seen how I got played when I mentioned TAC14! Clearly I had not thought this through before hand…

Jumping in with both feet isn’t an option anymore; I don’t think I can hold myself back for that long! And there is seriously a 24hr rule? And what’s this about a shallow end?! There is a shallow end to the airsofter’s pool?! Seriously?!

The biggest issue I’m facing is actually choices and options. Seriously I had been confused for a while. I have decided on the APS ACP pistol. It just looks “sexy!” But I am going to invoke the 24 hour rule when I first squeeze my hand on its rubberized grip and feel it’s… 24 hours! I need 24 hrs and several miles so I can’t “accidentally” walk over and buy it. I have decided on the MP5, but may go with the M4 as a first gun. I like everything I’ve heard about the MP5, but going with the M4 due strictly to the popularity and readily available parts and upgrades. Both seem like decent platforms, but the M4 is just too common not to start there.

Chest rigs and mag pouches were easy to find and decide on though. Difficult was convincing SWMBO that this can be used for duck hunting. LOL, should have seen me trying to say a Kevlar helmet was a “must have” for ducks! “Those geese and just plain dangerous hunny! I need the added protection!”

I’ve looked up and found countless boots, talked to a few people and am now settled on SWAT brand boots with the side zip. Since they can come with steel toes I easily said they were “work boots.” Buying ballistic goggles wasn’t open for debate. (Especially after I explained I needed my eyes to keep working properly so I could admire her radiant beauty for the rest of my life!)

You know this just isn’t right letting me in on all these secrets AFTER the fact! You can start slow, there’s a shallow end to the pool, and there is even a 24hr rule before buying! Next thing you know, you people are going to tell me I could buy her a camo outfit and let her play too!

*Thinking…*

“Hey hunny? Remember how you said if I bought one more gun you’d shoot me with it? I bet you’d look really sexy in MARPAT…”
__________________
Knowledge weighs nothing, carry as much as you can!
r.d.fretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:52   #21
AlexGPS
 
AlexGPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Scarorough Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
It would appear that I should have joined this forum and started posting way sooner! I wasn't into Airsoft guns no matter how cool they looked. That is until last year when I was at a gun show. I saw a couple booths that offered some interesting looking guns. I listened as several people talked about them for a few minutes. I was baffled that my 17yo son knew what type was what and its FPS rating and so on. I was looking at the real steel and knew about them while he had no clue. And here he knew details I would never have guessed at. That was a very odd feeling. My son knew more about guns than I did!

As I listened and he pointed out a few different models he liked, I made the worse mistake any man could! I picked up a Walther CP99. I hate to admit it, but at first I was confused why this little thing didn't look quite right. Felt right, good weight, nice balance... "This thing takes co2?!" It was too late… I was done for!

To make matters worse, I was back in the van calling "She Who Must Be Obeyed" trying to break it to her gently. I tried softening the blow by saying I didn't spend too much, just a few dollars... My son sitting beside me broke into a deep belly laugh when he heard the scream coming through the cell phone... "You bought a WHAT?! Are you (cursing) NUTS?!?" I wasn't sure if my son was about to “soil” the car's seat or if I'd have a bed INSIDE the house that night.

NOW you tell me there is a 24hr rule?! What the…!?!

I think it’s pretty funny that you think I have a disposable income. My good man I have a wife and kids! If there is any money that can be disposed of, it usually is!

Actually she’s great for letting me get toys if I do it the right way. (Usually involves a lot of chocolate and some flowers). You should have seen how I got played when I mentioned TAC14! Clearly I had not thought this through before hand…

Jumping in with both feet isn’t an option anymore; I don’t think I can hold myself back for that long! And there is seriously a 24hr rule? And what’s this about a shallow end?! There is a shallow end to the airsofter’s pool?! Seriously?!

The biggest issue I’m facing is actually choices and options. Seriously I had been confused for a while. I have decided on the APS ACP pistol. It just looks “sexy!” But I am going to invoke the 24 hour rule when I first squeeze my hand on its rubberized grip and feel it’s… 24 hours! I need 24 hrs and several miles so I can’t “accidentally” walk over and buy it. I have decided on the MP5, but may go with the M4 as a first gun. I like everything I’ve heard about the MP5, but going with the M4 due strictly to the popularity and readily available parts and upgrades. Both seem like decent platforms, but the M4 is just too common not to start there.

Chest rigs and mag pouches were easy to find and decide on though. Difficult was convincing SWMBO that this can be used for duck hunting. LOL, should have seen me trying to say a Kevlar helmet was a “must have” for ducks! “Those geese and just plain dangerous hunny! I need the added protection!”

I’ve looked up and found countless boots, talked to a few people and am now settled on SWAT brand boots with the side zip. Since they can come with steel toes I easily said they were “work boots.” Buying ballistic goggles wasn’t open for debate. (Especially after I explained I needed my eyes to keep working properly so I could admire her radiant beauty for the rest of my life!)

You know this just isn’t right letting me in on all these secrets AFTER the fact! You can start slow, there’s a shallow end to the pool, and there is even a 24hr rule before buying! Next thing you know, you people are going to tell me I could buy her a camo outfit and let her play too!

*Thinking…*

“Hey hunny? Remember how you said if I bought one more gun you’d shoot me with it? I bet you’d look really sexy in MARPAT…”
Flowers and chocolates go a long way with the ladies. A friend of mine is married with 2 kids and hes an airsoft maniac just like myself. His misses isnt too excited about airsoft but she doesnt mind as long as he keeps it away from the kids and not too pricey.But then again pricey and airsoft should not be said in the same sentence together since airsoft = spending a lot on looking Tacticool. What he does is he buys stuff for airsoft but tells the wife a fraction of the price he paid for a certain item. He bought a really nice plate carrier from ebay for about 120 euro's but he told the wife it was only 50. If he told her the real price he would of been sleeping on it outside the house. Anyhow whatever your choices are like some others have explained are all up to you, but just remember ask before buying. Dont make the same mistake as some of us have made (myself included) And also try out before you buy. I didnt have that luxury since i live in a country where Co2 pistols are allowed but airsoft guns are strictly illegal so we had only the websites and youtube for referance for the guns we where buying.
AlexGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:32   #22
Corinth
 
Corinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Markdale, Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Don't. It's illegal. Animal suffering and all that. I wouldn't even use .177, or anything sub 500 FPS. .22 or .25 pellet at 1000 FPS sure go right ahead, those are designed for varmints anyways.
Anything below .300 Win Mag in Canada is for varmints, IMHO. Our Southern cousins would like to believe .223 Remmy's are "big game" rounds, silly, right?

.338 Lapua Magnum... major sploosh.

As for airsoft, I started off with a KWC Makarov to wet my palate and ordered a KWA M11A1 for an appetizer and then of course I had to get the entree, a King Arms FN P90.

So I'm both AEG/GBBR and I don't think it ends there. I've been getting into the sport for the last five years and I still have these terrible itches to buy something. But I give it the whole "wait a couple of days and see" and that sometimes curbs the hunger. Sometimes...
__________________

Honour and Respect... Pew! Pew!
Corinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 17:08   #23
HackD
 
HackD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere between Hamilton Ontario, and Hell..
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post

...

NOW you tell me there is a 24hr rule?! What the…!?!
Best time-sensitive insurance against impulse purchases.. in anything. Unless it is food, booze, broads, ciggy's, or doobage.. it can generally wait 24 hrs when it comes to discretionary purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I think it’s pretty funny that you think I have a disposable income. My good man I have a wife and kids! If there is any money that can be disposed of, it usually is!
You have my deepest sympathies... really. No larvae for me, fortunately. My ideal of family is 3 cats ranging the house, and going to sleep when i ain't here. The kibble and cat litter bill is a bit of a little b*tch, however. Works for me, in my middle age, anyway.

Get the kids involved, Hell.. get the wife involved. Airsoft is a team sport, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
Jumping in with both feet isn’t an option anymore; I don’t think I can hold myself back for that long! And there is seriously a 24hr rule? And what’s this about a shallow end?! There is a shallow end to the airsofter’s pool?! Seriously?!
The shallow end is when you first start out - consider it a maximal $$ ceiling of sorts.. it's a purely theoretical figure, and varies from person to person - I'd consider the noob shallow-end to be around $1000.00 to be reasonably set up to try this thing out. The deep end can be as deep as 10's of thousands. Some have fallen into the fricken' Abyss, with a long airsoft involvement and with more guns hanging on the wall than that which equips the armed forces of an average sized island nation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
The biggest issue I’m facing is actually choices and options. Seriously I had been confused for a while. I have decided on the APS ACP pistol. It just looks “sexy!” But I am going to invoke the 24 hour rule when I first squeeze my hand on its rubberized grip and feel it’s… 24 hours! I need 24 hrs and several miles so I can’t “accidentally” walk over and buy it. I have decided on the MP5, but may go with the M4 as a first gun. I like everything I’ve heard about the MP5, but going with the M4 due strictly to the popularity and readily available parts and upgrades. Both seem like decent platforms, but the M4 is just too common not to start there.
APS brand name is by general consensus an abbreviation of 'A Piece of Shiite' .. Do some research on what are more established, better rated GBB pistol manufacturers.. i named two of the better mid-grade quality manufacturers already in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
Chest rigs and mag pouches were easy to find and decide on though. Difficult was convincing SWMBO that this can be used for duck hunting. LOL, should have seen me trying to say a Kevlar helmet was a “must have” for ducks! “Those geese and just plain dangerous hunny! I need the added protection!”
Get set up for WW2 airsoft and rock an M1 (American) or M1934 (German). Steel pot helmets have better resistance against cast-iron frying pans than kevlar.. your gonna need it if you get sucked into the deep end of airsoft, and VISA bills accidently get read by SHMBO..

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I’ve looked up and found countless boots, talked to a few people and am now settled on SWAT brand boots with the side zip. Since they can come with steel toes I easily said they were “work boots.” Buying ballistic goggles wasn’t open for debate. (Especially after I explained I needed my eyes to keep working properly so I could admire her radiant beauty for the rest of my life!)
I've heard reports those SWAT side-zippers are weak and bust out fairly easy.. something to consider. I just bought a set of surplus new 3-season CF issue boots about 8 years ago (back then originally for motorcycle use) for about $40.00 .. still going strong now, and very comfortable to me, broken-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
Next thing you know, you people are going to tell me I could buy her a camo outfit and let her play too!

*Thinking…*

“Hey hunny? Remember how you said if I bought one more gun you’d shoot me with it? I bet you’d look really sexy in MARPAT…”
I've seen lots of couples playing at fields - as well as father-son-daughter pairings. Why not? Even if things are on the Outs with SHMBO, you can still pay for a game and have her placed on OPFOR, and work things out from there.. certainly cheaper than Marital therapy. Just an idea there, anyway.

Last edited by HackD; March 12th, 2014 at 17:13..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 22:28   #24
r.d.fretz
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Bay
I really do appreciate the advice about the pistols. This is the one area that still has me asking more questions than are actually answered.

The APS ACP that I was lookin at was 90% looks and 10% the odd new mag set up. The only reviews I have found on it were people who just bought it or retailers, so not helpful.

I was actually looking at the 1911 due to funtion and fit. The one I did handle felt really good, loved the sites and performed well in my hands. Sadly it was green gas, if it was co2 I'd likely have bought it. The only other thing I wasn't big on was the hammer protection whatever its called at the back. Not a big issue, but it was the only thing I could find to complain about besides the green gas issue.

For now I'm invoking the "my wife says I'm not allowed to buy that" rule... its a good excuse, and sounds plausable. Not going to buy more than one gun at the show! LOL, or so I keep saying while SWMBO is within hearing distance!

I toyed with the idea of CF Combat Boots, but I heard such rave reviews about these side zip boots, being lighter and so on. But it can't HURT to go into a surplus store and just LOOK around! BAHAHAHA!!! I can't even type that with a straight face, I am so going to have to buy flowers this weekend...

I hope to meet several of the fellow enthusiasts when I get to the show. I have questions and hope some of you actually have answers. I like the helmet defence against the frying pan though... I may use that AFTER I buy the kevlar though. Good excuses must be used at the proper time! This WW2 re-enacting idea is leathal! before long I could see myself getting into that too... already checking out those websites.

And the SHALLOW end is in the $1000 range?!? Oh shhh-ure.... I knew I missed the shallow end! Right now I'm closer to $2500 not counting the re-enacting gear that I am not avoiding very well... And that's the wholesale stuff!!
__________________
Knowledge weighs nothing, carry as much as you can!
r.d.fretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 23:50   #25
HackD
 
HackD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere between Hamilton Ontario, and Hell..
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I really do appreciate the advice about the pistols. This is the one area that still has me asking more questions than are actually answered.

The APS ACP that I was lookin at was 90% looks and 10% the odd new mag set up. The only reviews I have found on it were people who just bought it or retailers, so not helpful.
A cursory search on the APS ACP indicates that APS is entering into new territory.. the ACP is it's first real go at pistols. I dunno about you, but first run anything i tend to avoid, especially with a "APS" reputation for some of it's long-gun offerings that i've read/heard about.. I'd stick to tried and true. Preferably based upon a TM design. KJW generally makes largely TM parts compatible guns (afaik) .. KWA sometimes does it's own thing, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I was actually looking at the 1911 due to funtion and fit. The one I did handle felt really good, loved the sites and performed well in my hands. Sadly it was green gas, if it was co2 I'd likely have bought it. The only other thing I wasn't big on was the hammer protection whatever its called at the back. Not a big issue, but it was the only thing I could find to complain about besides the green gas issue.
Not sure what the hang-up for co2 is about. I use propane. Hint - silicone oil + propane == a lot cheaper than green-gas cans! It's a little more unreliable in low temps.. but GBB powered anything generally runs into issues in low temps.. it all comes down to degrees. co2 may give you a more consistent velocity, with less venting.. but sometimes at a cost of added stress to the pot-metal gun frames and slides used to make a lot of these, resulting in a somewhat lower lifespan on average.

Unless you are going to be doing IPSC.. in my somewhat limited experience, I can't really see what the cost/performance benefit is in the average mid-grade hand gun, to go co2 over propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
And the SHALLOW end is in the $1000 range?!? Oh shhh-ure.... I knew I missed the shallow end! Right now I'm closer to $2500 not counting the re-enacting gear that I am not avoiding very well... And that's the wholesale stuff!!
Welcome to the madness, Economic and otherwise.

I got into this into the midst of an extended health battle. A form of redneck physio, if you will - nothing is more boring than being on a stationary-bicycle for hours at a time or wrestling with a stretchy band.. that same health issue also kicked me off of motorcycling, which i'd been doing for 20+ years. I thought i'd be saving money switching up recreational activities. At least up to now, not a frickin' chance.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:54   #26
SuperHog
 
SuperHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
R D Fretz,

Get a high powered pellet gun for pest control and humane kills. You have a FAC, get a 1000+ fps either break barrel or PCP.

As for airsoft, it is for a sport.

And yes, your wife and kids can play along side with you. Go to TAC14 and learn before buying, and maybe you can pick up what you need there. Oh, and take you wife to TAC14.

Airsoft GI - Tactical Gear Heads with Michael and Michele - YouTube

Airsoft GI - OPLCMSS Vets Michael and Michele Wojcik - YouTube

Last edited by SuperHog; March 13th, 2014 at 10:57..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 13:49   #27
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants
 
Armyissue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Port Credit
Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
pusangani - I'm not planning to "target practice" on birds, I was planning to eat the game birds I shoot, and only shooting them when legally in season. I figured an airsoft would be a bit less noisey than a .22 cal. I do appreciate the comment and I should have made my intentions more clear.
Anybody else who wants to tell a lawfully licensed hunter what to hunt with and how had better
A) have an Ontario Hunting License
B) be an Ontario Conservation Officer
C) be ready to take an infraction for trolling
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 14:05   #28
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants
 
Armyissue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Port Credit
Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I toyed with the idea of CF Combat Boots, but I heard such rave reviews about these side zip boots, being lighter and so on. But it can't HURT to go into a surplus store and just LOOK around! BAHAHAHA!!! I can't even type that with a straight face, I am so going to have to buy flowers this weekend...
Hi Fretz,
Stay away from my shop, we have a floor of Airsoft and a floor of Surplus,
I won't put you onto the side Zip boots, they are lighter, but they are also designed for paved surfaces. The CF Issue Combat boots are built for Off Road, and they're Made in Canada {well Quebec but that's almost the same}.

Unfortunately I'll be at the TAC14 show with tables full of goodies, just a sampling of the stuff we have in day after day at the shop just waiting for you. Most of my customers wives hate me, That's why they have to stop coming to the store after their wife finds out that there is not "another woman" in their life taking all their free time and money but a "Dude who Sells pants"
I don't usually bring Boots to the show as it gets cumbersome, so plan a side trip to Port Credit (Mississauga) don't tell the missus there's a surplus store here or she'll fight you tooth n nail. The rest of the area I'm in she can shop in the boutiques take in the fine restaurants, gift shops and Cafe's while you dig around till your hearts content, (between 10am-6pm ok?)
Click the banner vvvvvvvvvv and don't let your wife catch you!
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 17:27   #29
r.d.fretz
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Bay
I was at your store just last summer! small but ever so many cool things my wife rolled her eyes at! I was originally looking for a CF notebook (white, spiral bound, can't find the damn thing anywhere anymore). Anyhow, I was there for just that ONE item! Lol, wife made me leave when I kept touching all the stuff saying how I didn't have one yet and could really use it... "Apparently", there is this silly "wife" rule of "just becauase you don't have several of (insert random item here), does NOT mean you NEED another!" BAH!!

Soooo, going to be at the show with "stuff", AND you have a new floor of toys, goodies, distractions, and... *clicking banner*
__________________
Knowledge weighs nothing, carry as much as you can!
r.d.fretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 18:46   #30
Danke
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Danger Zone
Just tell your wife this;

Listen, and understand. That's Army Issue is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until we are broke.
__________________
Airsoft, where nothing is hurt but feelings.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.