Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Appropriate gun for 12 year old

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 28th, 2012, 18:16   #31
Ricochet
Can I ask you a serious question? How much sand can you fit in your vagina?
 
Ricochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Delta, BC (Greater Vancouver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue 46 View Post
No,LAWFULLY means no,boys and girls,MUST abide by the 18+ law..It will give the airsoft community a bad rap,so parents,teach your child about "guns" in general with a water pistol!
??

Firearms safety starts as young as possible, so a disaster does not occur when something like an uneducated youth comes into contact with a firearm for the first time. Airsoft by it's nature is not "legally" eighteen plus. A child of any age can operate or discharge a firearm with adult supervision. There may be local laws that prevent the use or discharge of such a device by a youth. Retailers can't sell them, or anything dangerous to youth because the retailer cannot assume legal responsibilty for said youth. That "can" include anything from matches, knives, fireworks, power tools, etc. parents or legal guardians are ultimately responsible for the youth; as mentioned by Brian earlier. As long as due diligence, adequate supervision, and all laws are observed then a youth can use an airsoft gun.

The only back and forth grey area ends up with those under the age of majority shooting projectiles at others. Some argue that many children show maturity (true), and that they are capable of playing safe (also true), or all you need is adequate insurance (yikes). But once you put the ability to shoot others in the hands of a youth, how can a parent/guardian be activily responsible for how they shoot unless they are standing next to them as they play?

The important thing is that airsoft guns are dangerous. They look real and therefore can get you killed, or they can easily hurt others without care. As a parent/guardian these are things to consider when mixing youth and airsoft. If it's shooting your interested in I'd also suggest a real rifle. Start him off with proper gun safety and respect; airsoft does tend to bend these principles in people's minds. It's best to build a solid and safe foundation. You did the right thing by asking the community for help, I hope we were able to answer your questions.
__________________
“REALITY IS LIKE A STONE. TO MANY IT’S HARD AND COLD, THEY CAN’T HUG IT OR EAT IT, IT ONLY FRUSTERATES THEM AND DOESN’T DO THEM MUCH GOOD. TO OTHERS IT’S STRONG AND DEPENDABLE, YOU CAN BUILD WITH IT, BUILD UPON IT, OR WORK WITH IT, ALSO USE IT TO SMASH PEOPLE IN THE FACE.”
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 20:59   #32
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
It's easier to teach kids about gun safety than teenagers. True story.

Also, bad rep my ass. Kids have been playing airsoft in manitoba league for like 3 years now, and there's a LOT of them. Not only are they GOOD for the community since they bring up properly trained airsofters, but they're actually really fun to play with too. Consider the shape of the average airsofter on your own fields, how many of those people would you HAVE to run a mile around to flank because they're so active? lol
It's not the kids that are the problem, it's ignorant people who don't want to teach them about airsoft! If they didn't have a supervised and (strictly) controlled environment in which to play airsoft, I'm sure they'd be playing in the street with no eye protection.
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 21:08   #33
dutch13
 
dutch13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Manitoba
^+1
__________________
Como estas bitches....
dutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:41   #34
Dimitri
Can't do math
 
Dimitri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobean View Post
My nephew is severely ADHD which is not adequately controlled with medication and has all the impulsiveness that comes with the condition.
In my opinion ADD/ADHD 99% of the time is a load of crap.

They don't teach boys how to focus their energy any more, with shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, scouts, building things, or what ever else boys have done for thousands of years.

It is easier for teachers to keep repeating the same lesson plans year after year, teaching kids in say Core French how to conjugate the same 3 verb endings year after year, or making every project a art project then it is to each new interesting stuff to kids.

So boys get bored, start not paying attention, acting up in class etc. And boys get branded as having a problem and needing to swallow pills as the only answer, to what is really society's fault not the kids.

Bet if you got that ICS and taught him to shoot under supervision, over time he'll calm a hell of a lot better then what ever drugs he is on. Boys need to grow, and society isn't growing boys up, its forgetting about them. Quite sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
If they didn't have a supervised and (strictly) controlled environment in which to play airsoft, I'm sure they'd be playing in the street with no eye protection.
Yup, like in York Region and now they "banned" airsoft in Markham over it.

Dimitri
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:59   #35
Aquamarine
PanSexual
 
Aquamarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Asakusa, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Oh really now? The Japanese, the creators of airsoft, must have it all wrong, considering they specifically have made airsoft models over the years to target the pre-teen/early teen age groups.i
You're wrong.

Different culture. Different values.
Japanese children don't spend hours and hours and hours after school playing video games, and those who do are the outcast shut-ins and THEY are a rarity compared to the rest.

Thanks, but try again.
__________________
Aquamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:00   #36
Curo
Cobalt Caliber
 
Curo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bowmanville Ont
Wooo how did ADD/ADHD come into the mix? No offence but people who don't have it do not understand. Heck I have a relatively mild case of ADD and I still cannot understand why people with more severe cases do what they do. Truthfully what has been said above about doing stuff like hunting, sports, building, reading, school work. All these things help the brain grow, learn and adjust to the chemical imbalance. Where as it is true medication will always help. The same medications will do wonders for people who don't suffer from it. I have been off my medication for 2 years and see no reason to go back on it. Does the medication still help? Hell yes. But it can help anyone who takes it. It's given to pilots, and college students want it to help them get better grades.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormX View Post
I know that isn't really what you asked, but it's the internet, and I like to type things that don't matter.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:55   #37
MaciekA
 
MaciekA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
I think we should be very careful in not having this thread spill out into a big flamewar about ADD/ADHD, which are legitimate and medically-recognized behavioural disorders.

The original post was a pretty straightforward question about whether an airsoft gun would be appropriate for a 12 year old, particularly one who is showing signs of behavioural issues. We're not doctors, but it doesn't take a doctor to answer this question with "it depends, and whatever the answer is, it must be answered with care and with the safety of the child in mind". I think that for the OP's purposes, we've adequately raised the warning flags here.
__________________
"Mah check"

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:46   #38
Dimitri
Can't do math
 
Dimitri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
Japanese children don't spend hours and hours and hours after school playing video games, and those who do are the outcast shut-ins and THEY are a rarity compared to the rest.

Thanks, but try again.
A American study I just found (first on that came up on Google) say the average American high school aged (teens) boy plays 69 minutes a day on average.

((5*58) + (2*97)) / 7 = 69 minutes.

A Japanese study I found (also the first on that came up on Google), lists a average gaming time of 73 minutes, per day for teenage/high school boys.

((52.8 * 5) + (125.4*2) ) / 7 = 73 minutes.

You should try again.

Dimitri

Last edited by Dimitri; January 1st, 2013 at 12:55.. Reason: Screwed up the math ... fixed now
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:47   #39
localfreerider
willing to perform services in a dark alley that may or may not leave you satisfied for a title. GFE = 1, looks = 2, BBFS for an extra $50.
 
localfreerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobean View Post
I myself know nothing about airsoft guns and had never heard of them until a few days ago so just wanted to get feedback from experts who are familiar with them. After researching them on the Internet and finding this site, my gut feel is my nephew owning or using one of these devices is a disaster waiting to happen – for him and for others. I just wanted to know if I was over reacting and being unreasonable or if it is commonly accepted practice for 12 years to own/use these. Thanks for your responses so far!!
jacobean I wish I had a cool uncle like you growing up!

I can only speak for myself but I've got a cousin with ADHD and Aspergers syndrome. He is now older than 18 but still has the intellect of someone much younger. He's expressed interest in airsoft and had bought Canadian tire cr@p. I feel that its is an accident waiting to happen because of the lack of real responsibility and reason.

I can only echo the advice of people above in saying that your nephew is probably better off with nerf guns.

I have two nephews of my own 5 and 3. You would be surprised at the fun you can have with nerf and there's no chance of it being mistaken for a real firearm.

My humble 2 cents
localfreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 14:43   #40
Militant_Mind
 
Militant_Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton Ont.
Depends on the 12 year old really. I know a 12 year old that goes hunting with his dad with real firearms.

Last edited by Militant_Mind; January 1st, 2013 at 14:49..
Militant_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 19:27   #41
GBBR
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto
Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
why is this still going on and why are you guys bringing other shit into the mix, other shit like airsoft in Japan. and how ADD or ADHD isnt a actauly thing and blah blah blah.

stick to the matter at hand. "is it a good idea for a child of 12 years old with add/adhd to own a airsoft gun?"

Answer is

No, because this 12 year old may not be responsible enough to own one because of his age, and he might not listen to an adult teaching him gun safety because of his condition.

Unless he learns proper safety procedures and also right from wrongs then I believe he can be permitted to use one under adult supervision. Owning one and letting him use it whenever he wants should not even be thought of. If the parent chooses to buy one for him to use under their supervision and have the replica locked away when the child is not permitted to use it is a different story.

Because this is non clearsoft replica it is difficult for police or people in general to know the differences between real and fake. If the child is allowed to do as he pleases something bad may happen. also becuase parents are liable for the childs in some cases, if the child does something stupid the parents could be or will be at fualt.
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:45   #42
BogardusFoul
 
BogardusFoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
If it is a question of a 12 year old (or anyone under the age of 18, for that matter) playing airsoft, a good rule of thumb is, take the weapon he wants, and shoot him in the chest from 3-4 meters away. If he cries, then the answer is no.

If you are more concerned with the youth running down Main Street, waving it over his head, then it is more important to teach them to ALWAYS OBEY THE COMMANDS OF A POLICE OFFICER WHO IS POINTING A FIREARM AT YOU.
__________________
Stabface Custom Embroidery

Name Tapes
Team Patches
Hats
Custom Embroidery
www.stabface.ca
BogardusFoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:39   #43
Maxxa
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Belleville, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogardusFoul View Post
If it is a question of a 12 year old (or anyone under the age of 18, for that matter) playing airsoft, a good rule of thumb is, take the weapon he wants, and shoot him in the chest from 3-4 meters away. If he cries, then the answer is no.

If you are more concerned with the youth running down Main Street, waving it over his head, then it is more important to teach them to ALWAYS OBEY THE COMMANDS OF A POLICE OFFICER WHO IS POINTING A FIREARM AT YOU.
Lol I think that would borderline as abuse... pain isn't the issue and if it is then that should be a redflag right away. I skateboarded for 12 years, I can't imagine pushing kids down the stairs and smacking them in the shins with wood to test their pain tolerence and bone density would be socially tolerated.

I agree with the above poster that said something along the lines of NO person under the age of 18 should OWN a gun, using one under adult supervision with the permission of thier legal guardian would be fine though.
People need to remember that when someone hits the age of 18 there isn't an automatic download of firearm safety and responsibilities straight into their brain, these things need to be taught to by people willing and interested in lisenting... That takes genuine concern for safety and liability to do.
Maxxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 17:05   #44
mmmken
 
mmmken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
You cannot reasonably justify a minor who has had experience shooting real steel to be safe with airsoft because they are completely different things.

Everybody knows that a real steel rifle has the capability of killing people. Thus, unless you had a mental condition, any person would exercise extreme caution handling one. We all watch the movies, we all know what a (real) gun is capable of. Hell, even under the most sterile conditions with nobody around for miles, I'm still afraid of pulling the trigger. Minor or adult: this respect of "objects capable of killing easily" is embedded in each and everyone of us.

Whereas with airsoft - the things shoot plastic balls for fuck sakes. In the eyes of the misinformed, it is treated as a toy whether we like it or not. When an object is treated like a toy, any respect of it is thrown out the door and that explains why kids feel like bringing them out to parks and such. Unless our guns have the ability to seriously (and easily, don't try debating this) harm or kill people, they will be generally viewed and used as toys. Hell, even people actively on this forum (with all the safety rules and practices known) handle airsoft guns like toys.

So, no. Just, no. Your child is not qualified to (or should) be handing airsoft guns just because they have experience safely shooting real guns. They are different things entirely.
__________________
Age Verifier - Unionville and Markham.
mmmken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 17:55   #45
Metalsynth
 
Metalsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Nevermind the legal bull just plain common sense :

If it looks like a real one, treat it as such.

There have been problematic situations where a policemen drew his service weapon on minors going in the streets with these so imagine an instant that same policeman shot those kids, that could be your kid and that policeman could be an uncle stuck with that nightmare for the rest of his life.

There has been a story or two about 3 boys assaulting a girl in a park with those. She could have had an eye shot out because these things but luckly not. You need a safe and propper environnement for those like a paintball field or at the very least, a private field where there is no trespassing.

It's a good idea to look around and get info, most people dont and it just ends up crapping on the people like us that actually go the extra mile, literrally, and do the thing in a propper and safe manner.

So yes, minors could play with these safely but they require supervision at all time with facial protection and a propper controled area like paintball only.

Having a maximum limit of FPS for them is a good idea too in case the thing ends up out of you control for X reason. I suggest looking up airsoft related pictures of bb incidents.

In all honesty, I think these are toys for big boys only and should not be used by minors at all.
__________________

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.