Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Dboy AEG's?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 15th, 2012, 21:42   #1
Wolf427
 
Wolf427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mississauga
Dboy AEG's?

Does anyone have any experience with the Dboy brand? Some of their stuff looks decent, and the prices are great. I particularly like that they are full metal.
Would this be a decent brand to start off with?
I'm looking at the HK416 right now.
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 21:44   #2
Kingsix
 
Kingsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Toronto
Dboys have been known for better then average ACM externals and .............. bottom of the barrel internals. Just because something is full metal doesn't mean it'll be strong. Aluminum zinc alloy is my nemesis in airsoft. It's easy to crack and even weaker then plastic.
__________________
Kingsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 21:48   #3
MaciekA
 
MaciekA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
I agree with Kingsix's assessment. Buy em and gut em (i.e. completely throw out the gearbox, wiring, and motor), but don't run them stock. I think of them as project guns, mainly stuff like the PDW, where you have traditionally saved a lot over the VFC model. That one has come down in price recently, so the advantage of going cheap isn't as strong.
__________________
"Mah check"

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 22:08   #4
Wolf427
 
Wolf427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mississauga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsix View Post
Dboys have been known for better then average ACM externals and .............. bottom of the barrel internals. Just because something is full metal doesn't mean it'll be strong. Aluminum zinc alloy is my nemesis in airsoft. It's easy to crack and even weaker then plastic.
I'm more interested in the full metal AEG's because of the feel, not really strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
I agree with Kingsix's assessment. Buy em and gut em (i.e. completely throw out the gearbox, wiring, and motor), but don't run them stock. I think of them as project guns, mainly stuff like the PDW, where you have traditionally saved a lot over the VFC model. That one has come down in price recently, so the advantage of going cheap isn't as strong.
So could you guys suggest a good brand to start off with? I'm not looking to spend too much. But if I decide to spend $400, how are G&P? I'm thinking the M4 sentry.
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 22:11   #5
wind_comm
 
wind_comm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary/Vancouver
if you don't want those Dboy motors I'll gladly take em for some frankentorques.

edit: G&P's are effing fantastic, except for the gears and motors =S
__________________
too busy tinkering to play.

Last edited by wind_comm; October 15th, 2012 at 22:13..
wind_comm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 22:15   #6
MaciekA
 
MaciekA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_comm View Post
if you don't want those Dboy motors I'll gladly take em for some frankentorques.
shhhhhhhh

The one in my PDW was hella slow though.
__________________
"Mah check"

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 22:26   #7
MaciekA
 
MaciekA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf427 View Post
So could you guys suggest a good brand to start off with? I'm not looking to spend too much. But if I decide to spend $400, how are G&P? I'm thinking the M4 sentry.
VFC and King Arms are safe bets if you're just starting off. King Arms M4s are pretty good.

G&P makes sexy guns but as others have mentioned and will continue to mention, they often have a lot of troublesome issues such as catastrophic gear failures in the first game or two, or fitment issues with mags, or piston failures. I would ONLY seriously consider G&P if you have free access to a gun doctor (i.e. a GOOD gun doctor who is on your team already) or are up for a challenge and willing to learn how to replace gears and other parts.

You will see a lot of experienced guys running everything from G&P to CYMA but there are often subtle considerations involved that aren't obvious to the beginner -- mostly to do with reliability and mostly leading to mechanical or electrical upgrades/improvements -- that are to be considered to make those guns into "workhorse" guns.

Hope that helps
__________________
"Mah check"

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 22:47   #8
Wolf427
 
Wolf427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mississauga
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
VFC and King Arms are safe bets if you're just starting off. King Arms M4s are pretty good.

G&P makes sexy guns but as others have mentioned and will continue to mention, they often have a lot of troublesome issues such as catastrophic gear failures in the first game or two, or fitment issues with mags, or piston failures. I would ONLY seriously consider G&P if you have free access to a gun doctor (i.e. a GOOD gun doctor who is on your team already) or are up for a challenge and willing to learn how to replace gears and other parts.

You will see a lot of experienced guys running everything from G&P to CYMA but there are often subtle considerations involved that aren't obvious to the beginner -- mostly to do with reliability and mostly leading to mechanical or electrical upgrades/improvements -- that are to be considered to make those guns into "workhorse" guns.

Hope that helps
Alright, I'll look into those brands then. I dont mind working on my own guns, I did it when I used to play Milsim paintball, and I do it with my real firearms. But I would be worried about all the money it would cost just to replace the parts haha.
One last question, can you recommend a good online retailer?
I prefer to go in store, but transportation can be an issue from time to time. Wouldn't want to take a bus with anything even pertaining to a weapon.
I appreciate the help!
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 23:55   #9
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy
 
Kozzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
If you want a 416 JG makes a reasonably priced version. Good for the money but for best performance you'd probably want to address the internals at some point in the future.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=50930
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:35   #10
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch
 
Gato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond Hill (Ontario)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf427 View Post
.I dont mind working on my own guns, I did it when I used to play Milsim paintball, and I do it with my real firearms. But I would be worried about all the money it would cost just to replace the parts haha.
I don't paintball, but I've seen those apart and I own numerous real firearms myself, believe me when I tell you that an AEG is nothing like either of those. Entering with that mindset will lead to all sorts of frustration and other "fun".

The majority of AEGs don't even take down wnywhere close to how their real counterparts do
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Like seriously dude. The incredible lack of common sense in the question could be scientifically investigated for evidence of a black hole.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:37   #11
SuperCriollo
 
SuperCriollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Misssissssuassuaguaggauga
Yup, an AEG is mechanically closer to clock work, than a firearm. King Arms and VFC are pretty good. ICS and G&G aren't bad neither.
__________________

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:58   #12
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West
 
Rusty Lugnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cobourg Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCriollo View Post
Yup, an AEG is mechanically closer to clock work, than a firearm. King Arms and VFC are pretty good. ICS and G&G aren't bad neither.
In my opinion clock work crossed with Voo Doo
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:08   #13
Swattiger
 
Swattiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I own a few G&Ps. Older generation tend to have hop up problem, which means they do not work too well. But the new ones e.g. Stoner machine gun, have solved this problem, and have great rate of fire right out of the box.

If you have $400 budget and look for a airsoft AEG which can perform well right out of the box with reasonable reliability, King Arms, G&G, G&P, VFC are all good choices.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 13:48   #14
Wolf427
 
Wolf427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mississauga
Thanks for the help everyone!
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 14:36   #15
fantastix
 
fantastix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Windsor, Ont
From the ones I've brought in, I find there is a large number of lemons (and some of the shoddiest gearbox greasings ever), but the ones that work tend to be very durable and reliable.
__________________
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village.
fantastix is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.