Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

newbie looking for some 1st gun advice

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:53   #1
B-Jewell
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South west ontario
newbie looking for some 1st gun advice

Hello this is my 1st time on this forum! I must say its rather informative. I would just like to say, I really enjoy the idea of the sport, however I have yet to get on the field.

okay so I'm looking into purchasing my 2nd airsoft gun. I had a cheap Canadian tire one that i shot off for target practice a few times before it started leaking C02 out of the barrel and its now scrapped.

So im looking to buy a pistol. I'm firm on that. It will mainly be used for target practice, cure some boredom, and potentially used as a deterrent. I don't plant to use this in an actual airsoft game.. but who knows things always change. I however would like the strongest one I can find that is legal (under 500FPS I believe). I cant quite nail down the laws regarding steel BB's however I'm pretty sure that's a no go zone.

suggestions, questions?
B-Jewell is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:56   #2
HackD
 
HackD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere between Hamilton Ontario, and Hell..
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Jewell View Post
Hello this is my 1st time on this forum! I must say its rather informative. I would just like to say, I really enjoy the idea of the sport, however I have yet to get on the field.

okay so I'm looking into purchasing my 2nd airsoft gun. I had a cheap Canadian tire one that i shot off for target practice a few times before it started leaking C02 out of the barrel and its now scrapped.

So im looking to buy a pistol. I'm firm on that. It will mainly be used for target practice, cure some boredom, and potentially used as a deterrent. I don't plant to use this in an actual airsoft game.. but who knows things always change. I however would like the strongest one I can find that is legal (under 500FPS I believe). I cant quite nail down the laws regarding steel BB's however I'm pretty sure that's a no go zone.

suggestions, questions?
It sounds like a good quality marksman pellet pistol or BB gun is more your thing, not airsoft. Deterrent? You plan to use this to threaten people in some manner? WRONG thing to do. Good luck with your future firearms-offense criminal code charges, or worse... that sort of comment indicates that you shouldn't be near anything more lethal than a spit-ball straw.

Last edited by HackD; October 15th, 2012 at 15:03.. Reason: major re-edit.
HackD is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:02   #3
B-Jewell
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South west ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
It sounds like a pellet rifle or good quality BB gun is more your thing, not airsoft. Deterrent? You plan to use this to threaten people? WRONG thing to do. Good luck with your firearms-offense criminal code charges.
I was thinking more coons ripping up my garden, just the noise of the shot in the air use to scare them off.... but you know I though a bb gun would be a better way to hurt humans than real guns.. -.-
B-Jewell is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:02   #4
FirestormX
 
FirestormX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
It sounds like a pellet rifle or good quality BB gun is more your thing, not airsoft. Deterrent? You plan to use this to threaten people? WRONG thing to do. Good luck with your firearms-offense criminal code charges.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Plastic BBs aren't as accurate as proper metal BBs or pellets. And you should keep in mind that threatening someone with a toy that looks like a real gun, is still treated as threatening someone with a real gun. Self defence doesn't fly as well as in the US.

Edit: Ninja'd with B-Jewell's clarrification.
A short bang like a GBB would make probably wouldn't do too much for racoons, if they're brave enough to come into your yard.
FirestormX is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:08   #5
B-Jewell
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South west ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormX View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
Plastic BBs aren't as accurate as proper metal BBs or pellets. And you should keep in mind that threatening someone with a toy that looks like a real gun, is still treated as threatening someone with a real gun. Self defence doesn't fly as well as in the US.

Edit: Ninja'd with B-Jewell's clarrification.
A short bang like a GBB would make probably wouldn't do too much for racoons, if they're brave enough to come into your yard.
my cheap one use to scare them off for the night. if they start coming back again in the spring, I will be using alternate methods for dealing with them anyway, hence why I said potential, not the main reason I'm buying one
B-Jewell is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:13   #6
MultipleParadox
 
MultipleParadox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St-Hubert, Qc
Regarding those racoons: Buy some airsoft claymore, fill with flour, and lay them around; Top this off with a Timelapse Camera or Infrared Video Cam Triggered by movement for some good laugh
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Real life comparison,

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:14   #7
HackD
 
HackD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere between Hamilton Ontario, and Hell..
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Jewell View Post
I was thinking more coons ripping up my garden, just the noise of the shot in the air use to scare them off.... but you know I though a bb gun would be a better way to hurt humans than real guns.. -.-
BB gun, pellet gun, airsoft gun - none of them should be used to intentionally hurt humans, defensively or offensively. intended purposes like that, are what get things outlawed.

Check your local bylaws also - if you discharge any firearm in most municipalities in your backyard - you are breaking the law, and that is an emergency response unit call just waiting to happen.

BB guns, and pellet guns - for target practice/competition, and airsoft guns in an appropriate gaming environment with appropriate safety equipment being worn - that is what these guns are for.

Last edited by HackD; October 15th, 2012 at 19:08..
HackD is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:19   #8
B-Jewell
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South west ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
BB gun, pellet gun, airsoft gun - none of them should be used to intentionally hurt humans, defensively or offensively. intended purposes like that, are what get things outlawed.
I was being quite sarcastic.. sorry for the confusion.
B-Jewell is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 16:23   #9
Jimski
 
Jimski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Quote:
I really enjoy the idea of the sport, however I have yet to get on the field.
Quote:
I don't plant to use this in an actual airsoft game
it doesn't really make sense.Is that also sarcasm?
__________________
Jimski is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 17:28   #10
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Jewell View Post
I was thinking more coons ripping up my garden, just the noise of the shot in the air use to scare them off.... but you know I though a bb gun would be a better way to hurt humans than real guns.. -.-
No. Period. Check your local bylaws.

Secondly, never shoot to wound, shoot to kill. Whether it's .22 pellet, .22 LR or whatever. If it's for pest control there are rules and regs around that too. It may be a animal rights case if you intentionally shoot to wound (yes, animal rights do extend to "pests").

Either that or pest abatement such as bear bangers or whatnot (again, check local bylaws prior to using noise for pest abatement).

I highly recommend the Remington Airmaster or a Daisy air rifle for target practise and pest abatement (although this is more for smaller pests, for coons you might have to go to something like a 700 FPS .177 or a high powered .22 air rifle).
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE

Last edited by L473ncy; October 15th, 2012 at 17:31..
L473ncy is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 19:50   #11
B-Jewell
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South west ontario
okay, never mind guys. everyones missing the point and thinking im running around a residential suburb shooting racoons. which A) is not at all what is meant and I thought my posts showed that and B) total retarded.. but i said Im a newbie which i guess means i have 0 knowledge of society. C) not even close to the relevant information.

but thanks for the little information I did acquire.
B-Jewell is offline  
Old October 15th, 2012, 22:01   #12
Jimski
 
Jimski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
it's because you should have said that the only thing you plan on doing with an airsoft pistol is playing airsoft.
Anything else will not gather any help from this community; that's why.

But then again your intentions according to the first post are unclear.
__________________
Jimski is offline  
Old October 16th, 2012, 00:46   #13
Aquamarine
PanSexual
 
Aquamarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Asakusa, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
If the 'point' was missed, then the OP can start over again. Thread closed due to complete idiocy.

Note to OP: Sarcasm doesn't show on the internet.
__________________
Aquamarine is offline  
Closed ThreadTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.