Airsoft Canada
AirsoftParts.ca

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Questions about hosting events

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:57   #1
bojangaler
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Questions about hosting events

I've been eye-ing some abandoned places down in Hamilton and Toronto areas to host a zombie role-playing event and I've narrowed it down to a couple locations. My inquiry is the types of things I should consider like insurances, theft protection on equipment because renting guns for the event is included, if anyone in the Hamilton area would like to lend a hand and just general dos and donts of these kinds of events,

Also, if you've hosted zombie related events or attended one, some descriptions of the event and preparation would be greatly appreciated.
bojangaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:53   #2
MaciekA
 
MaciekA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangaler View Post
I've been eye-ing some abandoned places down in Hamilton and Toronto areas to host a zombie role-playing event and I've narrowed it down to a couple locations. My inquiry is the types of things I should consider like insurances, theft protection on equipment because renting guns for the event is included, if anyone in the Hamilton area would like to lend a hand and just general dos and donts of these kinds of events,

Also, if you've hosted zombie related events or attended one, some descriptions of the event and preparation would be greatly appreciated.
You're about to get several dozen replies on the legality of this. The short answer is that you will not be able to use that "abandoned" land.
__________________
"Mah check"

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 16:38   #3
Dirtbag
 
Dirtbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Shortest of the answers, that land is NOT abandoned simply not used, big difference. The land could be held by the city, development company,offshore owner just for a start.

Bylaws most likely do not allow for discharge of any thing vaguely resembling a gun, including bb, pellet, bows of any type and even nerf in some places.

Even assuming that the city would allow you to use airsoft in that manner good luck getting the property owners permission if you can find them.

Lastly zombie games are fun for the shooters and lousy time for the zombies unless they are very well planned and thought out. Think weeks not hours of actual planning and writing.
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 18:17   #4
bojangaler
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I have and will be spending weeks of preparation work. Of course the locations are not truly abandoned just vacant at the time, I will be willing to pay if the location proves well on a monthly basis or a portion of the property taxes they pay. Also getting covered with insurance doesn't hurt as well, so that will be a must. The zombies in this event will be paid staff and the players need not to play zombies unless they desire. I just need ideas on locations within Ontario that would allow such an events.
bojangaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 18:35   #5
c3sk
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangaler View Post
I have and will be spending weeks of preparation work. Of course the locations are not truly abandoned just vacant at the time, I will be willing to pay if the location proves well on a monthly basis or a portion of the property taxes they pay. Also getting covered with insurance doesn't hurt as well, so that will be a must. The zombies in this event will be paid staff and the players need not to play zombies unless they desire. I just need ideas on locations within Ontario that would allow such an events.
You will need the following just to get started.

1) Full insurance for the property, this requires the property owner for a green light.
Policy minimum would need to be 1 million general liability coverage or more for any insurance company to touch it, not to mention insurance specifically for "airsoft" which is not common, so start hunting now. This is not cheap, so start getting ready to put away thousands to cover your overhead.

2) If any by-laws are present (and rest assured, they will be). You may be boned regardless.

3) Local authorities need to sign off on your activity. This typically requires a proposal + inspection of the property.

4) Township or the City requires a proposal and inspection of the property, they will determine if you need to apply for any permits for the event.

5) Emergency services such as Fire need to be made aware of what you are doing.

6) lots of other stuff....

7) Could always host the game in Cherno.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by c3sk; June 8th, 2012 at 18:42..
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 18:47   #6
PrIeSt
takagari
 
PrIeSt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anola(ish) MB
Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Would give up now m8.

Maybe aim for something outside the city limits. old town warehouse or farm. As for in one of the major cities. Never. Unless you full on rent. than you may as well open oyur own indoor CQB field.
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 19:02   #7
bojangaler
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Now, where would the world be if everyone just gave up at the first speedbump takagari? Thank you c3sk for the concise list, it is greatly appreciated and helpful. I would be open to locations outside city limits also. I will start hunting for insurance companies that has a niche in airsoft and research some by-laws related to the events.

I know in the UK there are such events like this one, so what I'm proposing to do is to shine the light on zombie survival games over to Canada.

P.S Where is Cherno??
bojangaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 19:06   #8
c3sk
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangaler View Post
P.S Where is Cherno??
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 19:09   #9
:^)
Pizza is a Vegetable
 
:^)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Waterloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post

7) Could always host the game in Cherno.
I would host in Elektro more people there then Cherno. IMO.
:^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 19:22   #10
PrIeSt
takagari
 
PrIeSt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anola(ish) MB
Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangaler View Post
Now, where would the world be if everyone just gave up at the first speedbump takagari?
Well you don't need to give up. but I hope you've got 10k or more sitting around to front. not too mention months of council meeting's. Fighting with the by-law officers.

It's been looked into lots of times before in many cities.

Very few will sign off easily or cheapily to allow people to fire "Unregistered Firearms" which remember. Is exactly what your going to be doing. Within city limits.
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 19:40   #11
lurkingknight
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
not to mention notifying and clearing with all the adjacent inhabited neighboring buildings/communities... last thing you want to happen is swat to show up with the real deal shock and awe because some pedestrian out walking their dog saw someone with their AEG on the gaming premises.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 19:57   #12
Danke
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Danger Zone
No one has mentioned plan B yet.

That's where you partner up with an established site and put your scenario on there.
__________________
Airsoft, where nothing is hurt but feelings.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 21:09   #13
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangaler View Post
Now, where would the world be if everyone just gave up at the first speedbump takagari? Thank you c3sk for the concise list, it is greatly appreciated and helpful. I would be open to locations outside city limits also. I will start hunting for insurance companies that has a niche in airsoft and research some by-laws related to the events.

I know in the UK there are such events like this one, so what I'm proposing to do is to shine the light on zombie survival games over to Canada.

P.S Where is Cherno??
This isn't the first speedbump. It's like a minefield already filled with potholes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
Well you don't need to give up. but I hope you've got 10k or more sitting around to front. not too mention months of council meeting's. Fighting with the by-law officers.

It's been looked into lots of times before in many cities.

Very few will sign off easily or cheapily to allow people to fire "Unregistered Firearms" which remember. Is exactly what your going to be doing. Within city limits.

10k might cover the insurance and a few other minor things. Not much else.

Try like 100k or at least a few 100k.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 21:23   #14
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Id recommend you actually attend a couple of events and volunteer to help the host before jumping into hosting yourself
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 22:13   #15
PrIeSt
takagari
 
PrIeSt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Anola(ish) MB
Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Wait you've beer hosted your own cheaper ops yet?

Small steps young padawan
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
AirsoftParts.ca

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.