Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Your view of airsoft "gear"

:

General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:10   #46
scottyfox
 
scottyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa
Army says hooah. Marines say oorah.
And yes it's a huge difference.
But I'm not either, I don't care.
__________________
Views are my own.

scottyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:14   #47
Grizzly0679
 
Grizzly0679's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Alright, alright if the consensus is to get my military lingo correct then I'll up my game. Challenge accepted! But ya'll a bunch if whiners. :P
__________________
Quote:
Here we are again bro -just you and me. Same kind of moon same kind of jungle. Real number 10 remember? Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat... We walk out just you and me, nobody else. Right on top huh? Not a scratch... Not a fuckin' scratch... - Sgt.Mac, Predator
Grizzly0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:15   #48
5kull
 
5kull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly0679 View Post
I saw! it looks great. I'm just new to the sport and don't really know anyone yet so I was hoping to play some games, get to know people then ask someone for a lift, :-D bribing them with gas money and something baked by my girlfriend.

G/f: So, why am I baking at 3:00am?
Me: The future integrity of Capitalism and the projected strength of the West depends on it.
G/F: You're so weird...
Nothing weird there, sounds like my house before every big game

Your welcome to join in our Vietnam adventure! First game is the same for everyone, you follow the others, shoot when they shoot and basically try to look like you know what your doing when in fact everyone is confused and looking for leadership that never comes When you get to your second game you will know what to do.... follow the others, shoot when they shoot and basically try to look like you know what your doing when in fact everyone is confused and looking for leadership that never comes
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:17   #49
Curo
Cobalt Caliber
 
Curo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bowmanville Ont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly0679 View Post
Drake, really? You're gonna argue over semantics? Who cares if it was Hooyah, or Oaah, or HUA, or HOOAH...you get my point.
just like we get it when kids call them clips not mags right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormX View Post
I know that isn't really what you asked, but it's the internet, and I like to type things that don't matter.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:17   #50
Deadpool
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Trois-Rivières
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly0679 View Post
Alright, alright if the consensus is to get my military lingo correct then I'll up my game. Challenge accepted! But ya'll a bunch if whiners. :P
Keep in mind that many of ASC members are either militaria enthousiast, ex or presently military or just plain collectors that take their hobby seriously. It's like saying to a corvette owner and enthousiast: "Nice Mopar!"

You get the point?
__________________

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:22   #51
Grizzly0679
 
Grizzly0679's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Keep in mind that many of ASC members are either militaria enthousiast, ex or presently military or just plain collectors that take their hobby seriously. It's like saying to a corvette owner and enthousiast: "Nice Mopar!"

You get the point?
Oorah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Nothing weird there, sounds like my house before every big game

Your welcome to join in our Vietnam adventure! First game is the same for everyone, you follow the others, shoot when they shoot and basically try to look like you know what your doing when in fact everyone is confused and looking for leadership that never comes When you get to your second game you will know what to do.... follow the others, shoot when they shoot and basically try to look like you know what your doing when in fact everyone is confused and looking for leadership that never comes
That was pretty funny. Thanks man, I appreciate it.
__________________
Quote:
Here we are again bro -just you and me. Same kind of moon same kind of jungle. Real number 10 remember? Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat... We walk out just you and me, nobody else. Right on top huh? Not a scratch... Not a fuckin' scratch... - Sgt.Mac, Predator
Grizzly0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:23   #52
Drake
E-01
 
Drake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal, QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly0679 View Post
Drake, really? You're gonna argue over semantics? Who cares if it was Hooyah, or Oaah, or HUA, or HOOAH...you get my point.
It wasn't about the semantics, my point was that you're griping about something you're not even correctly informed about.
__________________
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:28   #53
Grizzly0679
 
Grizzly0679's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
It wasn't about the semantics, my point was that you're griping about something you're not even correctly informed about.
Actually I did know the difference, but it was a careless mistake. I'm just saying it's an extremely trivial detail to gripe about which takes nothing away from the point. Like a previous poster said it would be like me saying clips instead of mags.

"it's like a finger pointing to a star. Don't pay attention to the finger or you will miss all that is glory" - Bruce Lee

Anyway, Drake let's just let it go. I'm not here to make enemies.
__________________
Quote:
Here we are again bro -just you and me. Same kind of moon same kind of jungle. Real number 10 remember? Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat... We walk out just you and me, nobody else. Right on top huh? Not a scratch... Not a fuckin' scratch... - Sgt.Mac, Predator
Grizzly0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 23:47   #54
Fizzmix
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort McMurray
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Sounds more like you want to play BB tag.
Well that was a productive statement, wasn't it
Fizzmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 00:05   #55
Fizzmix
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort McMurray
The purpose of this post was to seek opinions on gear and the necessity of it. Being new to it, I figured this forum would be the best Place to seek advice. I thank all of you who provided insight. For the others out there, thanks for trying to discourage new players from becoming involved in airsoft.
Fizzmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 00:12   #56
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzmix View Post
The purpose of this post was to seek opinions on gear and the necessity of it. Being new to it, I figured this forum would be the best Place to seek advice. I thank all of you who provided insight. For the others out there, thanks for trying to discourage new players from becoming involved in airsoft.
to answer your question..

gear for gear sake.. is what gets some guys off

others prefer to only have what they need for what they are actually doing.

as I said before .. grab a gun and some goggles... and go.. you will soon find out what works and what does not.. and you can then decide how deep you want to jump into the gear rabbit hole.
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 00:35   #57
Fizzmix
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort McMurray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
to answer your question..

gear for gear sake.. is what gets some guys off

others prefer to only have what they need for what they are actually doing.

as I said before .. grab a gun and some goggles... and go.. you will soon find out what works and what does not.. and you can then decide how deep you want to jump into the gear rabbit hole.
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.
Fizzmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:18   #58
obsolete
 
obsolete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Barrie, On
Fizzmix: I happen to be the opposite of you, I entered airsoft after being a gear whore. I love practical outdoors equipment and clothing and the militaries of the world make the very best of it that can be acquired fairly reasonably. So I buy things I like that can be used in the outdoor setting. Before airsoft that would include hiking and camping. I still do these activities but my gear has three roles now. I started airsoft from my gear addiction.

I have kitted up friends with equipment so they can play airsoft. I have no problem sharing, it helps the sport.

I will put it to you this way. My previous hobby was stock car racing. If I could get an advantage on a competitor legally I would take it. Camo and gear is an advantage to help you in this game. If you don't want the advantage, don't play it. Your choice.
__________________
Level 2 Bolt Action Sniper Certified - Night Ops
Option B Stayner / Killworthy
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:16   #59
m102404
Tys
 
m102404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzmix View Post
Hello,

I am extremely new to airsoft - I have yet to play a game. Here is my problem.
I enjoy the thought of myself and others shooting at each other to see who's aim/positioning/etc. is best. I enjoy competition.

What I DONT want to do is dress up in army fatigues, vests, etc. Nothing against people who like to dress up in all that gear, but it just isn't for me. I fully support safety gear, but just can't bring myself to purchase "army" gear to go airsofting.

Here's where I need your opinion. Is it reasonable to have a game with others if I have no intention to wear the "gear" associated with it? Is all the "gear" necessary to attempt to have serious games with others?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
To each their own....some guys are deep into the military simulation aspect of airsoft...others are not. As long as each persons expectations are inline with the particular game and the rest of the players attending then all is well.

Most skirmish type games are pretty relaxed about dress/kit requirements...as long as safety (i.e. googles/boots/weather appropriate clothing) and self-sustainability is taken care of (i.e. meds/water/food/etc...).

Some places around here, notably the indoor Paintball places, have zero kit requirements. As long as you have goggles you're good to go.

All that said...IMO, it's 100% up to the game, the host and what's set out in the game thread. If teams are split between different camo/colour schemes...then that's what is expected, from everyone. If there's a civilian/partisan/etc...role to fill, then you'd be good to go. There's an expectation that everyone has done what they need to do to participate effectively for the entire duration of the game.

If there doesn't seem to be a civi "team"/group...then ask BEFORE the game. If the game allows for it, it's not too hard a thing to create a civi/all-black type team/group....or to simply lump all the odd balls into a given group.

Same goes for kit/gear...if the game specifies no-highcaps, helmets/cut-resistant gloves, etc...then that's what it is.

I say to ask before the game since it's a bit of a piss off if the host puts it out there to do this/that or to be prepared in this way or that....and then to have guys show up intending to just do and go with whatever they want. It's like being invited to a black tie event and deciding, "Piss on the host and everyone else...I'll just do what I want and go in shorts". You might feel all free-spirited and self-actualized...but you're being a prick.

For example...if you want to boot around in civies and skirmish...do everyone a favour and don't sign up for a WW2 milsim. It just ruins part of the day for everyone else.

Some hosts and groups of players really don't care...others do. Simply ask beforehand and find out for the particular game/event you're checking out.

You said it yourself...it's your problem. Don't impose it on everyone else.

****
It must be said though...there's few guys who can pull off Hawiian shirt like Talon

Last edited by m102404; April 13th, 2012 at 10:32..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:31   #60
scottyfox
 
scottyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa
In all honesty, I started by wearing solid colours and acting out a PMC, or if I was feeling really creative, a Human Terrain System specialist or intelligence agency guy. I was uncomfortable dressing up as a soldier when I worked so closely with them. As I got more into it, and as they started to think it was cool, I relaxed and now have no problem playing milsim in whatever role. Though a certain ex-HH-60H sailor made me promise her that someday I would be a CSAR guy.
__________________
Views are my own.

scottyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.