Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Shooting Glasses and Sealing Goggle

:

General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:07   #16
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Hamilton Area

Soldier of Fortune

Last edited by Trev140_0; January 23rd, 2012 at 18:14..
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:07   #17
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow
 
Dynamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: T̆͒ͥ̓̿̅̈́̐͊̿͗̐̾̃͐ͧ&#8
Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
im going to guess this has something to do with paintballcity's enforcement of full seal ANZI rated goggles.
the only reason why pbc is allowing the use of full seal ESS/tac goggles, is because the owner of the facility is being nice enough to allow it, even at a risk to his business. yes, you guys are playing airsoft, but you are also sharing the venue with paintballers, and the insurance only allows for the use of paintball rated safety equipment.
personally, if there are any paintballers sharing the field, then even full seal goggles should be avoided. at the end of rounds when the different groups switched off the field, there were always some paintballers already waiting and shooting off some paintballs while we still had airsofters walking to the exit.

if people are unwilling to accept the minimum safety requirements set out by the property owner, they need to be removed from the venue and told to smarten the f up before coming back.

squash goggles.. all i can say..
__________________
Weapons Technician / Gunsmith



Don't look at me, I don't know, lol \(_o)/.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:21   #18
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
No not at all.


No idea what the other places are doing.

My question was soely on the games you see out west and in the UK and wondering why they are all using shooting/safety glasses.

If you look on the sterling airsoft games, they are almost ALL wearing these.

I could not understand why, and the explaination of needing to withstand a shot from paint makes sense.

Having said that, we are not "sharing" a field with paint where we play. In fact the next game we have the entire place will be airsoft.

Looks like we can provide the option now after doing some digging.

Thats all....

Last edited by Trev140_0; January 23rd, 2012 at 18:26..
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:49   #19
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev140_0 View Post
No not at all.


No idea what the other places are doing.

My question was soely on the games you see out west and in the UK and wondering why they are all using shooting/safety glasses.

If you look on the sterling airsoft games, they are almost ALL wearing these.

I could not understand why, and the explaination of needing to withstand a shot from paint makes sense.

Having said that, we are not "sharing" a field with paint where we play. In fact the next game we have the entire place will be airsoft.

Looks like we can provide the option now after doing some digging.

Thats all....
Regardless. Have you confirmed with the field owner that you are permitted those glasses? It's not the best idea to assume as you might be turned away. All airsofters or not, it's still an insurance policy for that particular facility.

One big caveat with any type of rated glasses, if you go prone, your eyes are exposed. Try it. Lay on your stomach. Now imagine you are looking down range through your rifle sights.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:55   #20
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
We are the ones putting the games on, not asking as a player for this field.

All confirmed.

Face protection and CSA high impact improved.
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 19:00   #21
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev140_0 View Post
We are the ones putting the games on, not asking as a player for this field.

All confirmed.

Face protection and CSA high impact improved.
so you realize you are also on the hook if someone has an eye injury? Waivers don't hold much weight!
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 19:01   #22
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
And here is a set of close ESS Goggles being shot by a gun shooting at 525 FPS with a 40G bb.

Not even a scratch.

ESS Clone Goggles Impact Test - YouTube


The end of the day, I undertstand the safety required in case if we are around paintball, but as in the games in the UK and out west, the games we are putting one do not have paintball at all.
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 19:10   #23
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
I'm not talking about playing with paintballers at the same time anymore, but since it's still at a paintball field, their insurance will likely not cover any accidents or injuries to the eye.

Also, look at your first video and how the glasses broke apart upon impact and fell off the dummies face. yes, they probably didn't fit as well as on a real person but that's not the point here.

What if there are 2 rounds sent down range at someone glasses? The first one knocks them off and the next one goes guess where? What if it's a full auto burst or longer?

Next, you should seriously go try this with your glasses on. Lay on your stomach. Now imagine you are looking down range through your rifle sights.

As I said before, you as an organizer can be held responsible for any injuries.

Full seal goggles should be the minimum for active players.

Anyway, I'm not going to ague with someone who doesn't have a clue. Good luck.

Last edited by coach; January 23rd, 2012 at 19:12..
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 20:16   #24
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Not scientific,but I just took a pair of these. CSA. High impact safety glasses.
Opened fire on the right lense on full auto, with .25 bb, 400 FPS. 30 rounds into them.

12 inches away.


Some of the bb's shattered. (bb bastard) but bairly a scratch.


Hamilton 2-20120124-00007.jpg
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:37   #25
wildcard
 
wildcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In my man cave
Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev140_0 View Post
Not scientific,but I just took a pair of these. CSA. High impact safety glasses.
Opened fire on the right lense on full auto, with .25 bb, 400 FPS. 30 rounds into them.

12 inches away.


Some of the bb's shattered. (bb bastard) but bairly a scratch.


Attachment 28812
Trev,

May I suggest that you use the full sealed style like the revision bullet ant, the reason is those safety glasses do work but the only time it is safe to wear them for airsoft is at CAPS events where it is just shooting targets with no return fire, the sides are still quite open to hard richochet or even a shot to get in. If you are a fan of scoutdoggie video as much as I am you will notice that in one of the video one of their players were actually hurt from getting a bb in the safety glasses from a stray, while he was not injured badly he considered himself lucky and made a switch to a sealed type glasses. Ultimatey it is your field and you have to make the call, just throwing in my 2cents

FYI - in the world of evil cloning there are clones of these safety type glasses that would not hold up to a .25BB fired from a M90 cylinder PTW, I recently did a test for the purpose of showing Paintball city owner/organizer the difference between the real and fake ballistic plastic eye pro and the mesh ones (it shattered and penetrated with a .25 and red cylinder M150, and dented badly with the .25 with blue cylinder 390-400fps)
__________________

Last edited by wildcard; January 25th, 2012 at 10:41..
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:13   #26
z0ng
 
z0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
In some outdoor games I've used ESS CDI's for when running NVG due to their lower profile. The only reason I feel safe doing this is because there is a retention strap to keep them on my face and they're usually being pinned there too by the NVG. If I'm not running with NVG I'll use the full-seal as they fog less than the CDI's, they appear to ventilate and defog faster likely because they're not as close to my face and get better air-flow.

I would NEVER trust my eyes to eyepro manufactured in China or any other knockoff eyepro.

As for mesh goggles I wore them once a long time ago, then at one game took a shot to my right eye. The impact deformed the mesh and resulted in the coating of paint on it spraying my eye. Fortunately I was fine but it was not a fun experience to say the least. I thought I had taken BB shrapnel to my eye until I took said mesh goggles off in the safe zone and inspected both my eye and the goggles.
__________________

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:26   #27
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Trev,

May I suggest that you use the full sealed style like the revision bullet ant, the reason is those safety glasses do work but the only time it is safe to wear them for airsoft is at CAPS events where it is just shooting targets with no return fire, the sides are still quite open to hard richochet or even a shot to get in. If you are a fan of scoutdoggie video as much as I am you will notice that in one of the video one of their players were actually hurt from getting a bb in the safety glasses from a stray, while he was not injured badly he considered himself lucky and made a switch to a sealed type glasses. Ultimatey it is your field and you have to make the call, just throwing in my 2cents

FYI - in the world of evil cloning there are clones of these safety type glasses that would not hold up to a .25BB fired from a M90 cylinder PTW, I recently did a test for the purpose of showing Paintball city owner/organizer the difference between the real and fake ballistic plastic eye pro and the mesh ones (it shattered and penetrated with a .25 and red cylinder M150, and dented badly with the .25 with blue cylinder 390-400fps)

Hi WildCard,

First, I want to say you and I have had side discussions on certain wing nuts who have come to games, not calling hits etc, and I do value your input. I feel your response is actually worth considering as it does lay it out. The photo I showed you of the glasses does not show them on your face and actually wrap around the side pretty well. Minimal gap. Once you finish it off with a shamog wrap its is pretty much closed up.

As the first post I put up points out, I was asking why the games out west in Canada allow them and so does Stirling Airsoft. The example of strirling is actually a good one as I am sure nobody is going to dispute they and the king of the heep for games. Off the wall stuff that make the games here look like a day care center. I saw their videos and the ones from out west and the picture below seems to be the same thing I keep asking. You dont even see an ESS in this picture. I am not trying to argue or question, just was wondering why these places CAN and places here CANT. I am really beginning to think this has more to do with being at a paintball place. Again, at SOF we are not going to be sharing fields, and this spring there is a seperate safety zone being put up for airsoft at the opposite side of the grounds. All the games that will be happening between now and June will effectively cut off the interaction of Paint and Airsoft with the field selection.
To cap this off, there will be a no engagement under 10 foot rule put in.

Anyway, perhaps maybe we can steer the conversation away from SOF and to why below is ok?


See pic at Stirling UK.

Intrinsic 086[2].jpg



ItsGoodToTalk[1].jpg

Last edited by Trev140_0; January 25th, 2012 at 11:41..
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:40   #28
Curo
Cobalt Caliber
 
Curo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bowmanville Ont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev140_0 View Post
Was going to shoot tonight, but found this instead.

Video of a pair of safety glasses being shot at by a .177 pellet gun shooting at 600 FPS.

Followed by a pointed pellet shooting at 800FPS

Amazing Safety Glasses -TEST (High Speed Camera) - YouTube

Self explainatory
True ballistic glasses are suppost to be able to stop .22 pellets as outlined by the US Army's standards (I think, don't hold me to this but I am sure this correct)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormX View Post
I know that isn't really what you asked, but it's the internet, and I like to type things that don't matter.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:42   #29
Trev140_0
 
Trev140_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Will steer this now to why is it ok at Stirling. UK.

Is it FPS?
Rules?
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:45   #30
SINN
 
SINN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Send a message via MSN to SINN
holy fuck dude! why not ask sterling airsoft? use your head
__________________
MODT - Magnus Operator Development Team - tu fui ego eris
SINN is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.