Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Let me get things clear here

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:34   #1
sgtskywalker
 
sgtskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Let me get things clear here

Alright, I have read the FAQ and I want to make things clear here, so correct me if I'm wrong. I cannot play in any airsoft games nor can I own an airsoft rifle unless I'm 18. I cannot brandish my gun outside as I want and just show it to anyone as I am going to be arrested and will pay fines or other for it. Going outside with an airsoft gun which has a red tip will not change anything to the eyes of a law officer, as there is no law about airsoft weapons who must have a red tip in Canada. If the police sees me with an airsoft rifle outside, they will assume it is a real firearm, and I will assume the consequences. And at last, shooting outside with my friend(s) at targets or at each other (with eye and face protection of course) in the backyard or at any other place can bring me some trouble with the police. If anything I said is wrong or not that right, please correct, as I want to clearly know what I can and cannot do with an airsoft rifle.
sgtskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:43   #2
T_A_N_K
 
T_A_N_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskywalker View Post
I cannot play in any airsoft games nor can I own an airsoft rifle unless I'm 18.
You can attend game if allowed by the host, but you will more than likely have to show a great deal of maturity -which shows in your post so far. You can own an AS if you are under 18 provided a parent or guardian has purchased it for you, however said parent/guardian should be with you and watching you while you use it, legally. Would be better if they participated with you, great parent/child sport

I cannot brandish my gun outside as I want and just show it to anyone as I am going to be arrested and will pay fines or other for it.
Depends on what you mean on "outside". Showing them in your backyard that is fenced where you have a reasonable belief of privacy shouldn't really be a problem, in front of your house outside facing a main street is different

Going outside with an airsoft gun which has a red tip will not change anything to the eyes of a law officer, as there is no law about airsoft weapons who must have a red tip in Canada.
Again it depends on what you mean by "outside" I take my airsoft guns outside all the time, but they aren't visible and in a case/bag, they are still technically outside. Yes, red tip means nothing in Canada

If the police sees me with an airsoft rifle outside, they will assume it is a real firearm, and I will assume the consequences.
Yes, they can and WILL assume it is real

And at last, shooting outside with my friend(s) at targets or at each other (with eye and face protection of course) in the backyard or at any other place can bring me some trouble with the police.
Yes, not because it is airsoft, but because Municipalities have discharge laws. Mean you can't shoot things in certain areas, this can include bows, paintball guns, airsoft guns, real guns, potato guns. However, there is nothing wrong with setting up paper targets in your basement, provided you get the permission of your parents, are supervised and wear safety eye protection.
I would say that if you got a Minor's PAL (Firearms License) and passed, it would go a long way to show that you are mature and responsible enough to own and operate an airsoft gun and participate in games. However this is just my opinion, but I'm sure others would agree. I don't know you, but based on your lack of shitty english and the logic in your post you don't seem like a dumbass kid we normally get in the boards, which is refreshing.

Also, if you are interested in still pursuing airsoft under 18, I would go about contacting local hosts of games in the "event" section and ask them if you can participate(not as player at first) and help out. Earn your brownie points and I'm sure you will be on a field in no time. Your going to have to earn your way to play unlike everyone else, but like everyone else, be an ass/unsafe you will shown out the door you walked in.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by T_A_N_K; June 28th, 2011 at 14:57..
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:44   #3
Scouser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything there

there are a few organisations across the country that are geared towards having 14-17r olds play supervised by adults, but they are few and far between

bide your time, ask lots of questions, read lots, watch lots of videos, a couple of years goes by pretty fast, and the fact that you actually took the time to read the FAQs goes a long way

before you know it, you will be 18, and you can head into the field with everyone else and put all your research and anticipation to use
__________________
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1146/4732239144_0fa02ba6aa.jpg
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:52   #4
sgtskywalker
 
sgtskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Thank you for your post, this is actually what I was searching for. When I said outside, I meant a public place like the main street infront of my house. What do you mean by Municipalities? If you're talking about parcs or other, then yes, I assume it is normal we cannot shoot in those areas with a potato gun or other. I was talking again of the mainstreet infront of my house or any other place (not parcs with discharge laws, unless you meant something else by Municipalities) where I can be seen by other people that I have an airsoft gun and I am using it.
sgtskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 14:59   #5
T_A_N_K
 
T_A_N_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskywalker View Post
Thank you for your post, this is actually what I was searching for. When I said outside, I meant a public place like the main street infront of my house. What do you mean by Municipalities? If you're talking about parcs or other, then yes, I assume it is normal we cannot shoot in those areas with a potato gun or other. I was talking again of the mainstreet infront of my house or any other place (not parcs with discharge laws, unless you meant something else by Municipalities) where I can be seen by other people that I have an airsoft gun and I am using it.
Municipalities are the regions in which you live in, which for you would be Montreal. More than likely there is a by-law stating you can't shoot stuff. I would say show them so long as you do privately. Showing it in front of your house on the drive way is not private as anyone living on the street can see it. Showing it in your room, closed garage is different.

Best rule of thumb, do not take it/show it anywhere that the public has access to. Not everyone has access to your house/yard. Everyone has access to a park.

Im putting the bottom in bold because you seem intent that it is OK to shoot in your backyard, depending on where you live it may be, but highly unlikely.

Your best bet if you want to "shoot" is to set up targets in your basement (if its big enough, and your parents let you). Just remember, two eyes are better than one so wear protection. Also unless your friend have permission from their parents, don't let them shoot your gun. If your dumbass friends run outside with your gun and gets arrested, your going to get into trouble as well, not as much, but you are responsible for him having it in the first place, get it? and for gods sake, don't shoot each other.

To put it simple, go to your backyard, walk 200 meters in any direction. If someone else lives/owns property within this boundary, don't shoot there.

Last edited by T_A_N_K; June 28th, 2011 at 15:13..
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:00   #6
sgtskywalker
 
sgtskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
there are a few organisations across the country that are geared towards having 14-17r olds play supervised by adults, but they are few and far between
I remember reading here http://torontoairsoft.com/cms.php?id_cms=7 that most games would allow 16+ years old play with adult supervision, which would actually be perfect, but if what you say is true, then I guess I will have to wait two more years in my backyard until I can finally officially join the airsoft community.
sgtskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:08   #7
Zeonprime
NUTSHOT!
 
Zeonprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskywalker View Post
I remember reading here http://torontoairsoft.com/cms.php?id_cms=7 that most games would allow 16+ years old play with adult supervision, which would actually be perfect, but if what you say is true, then I guess I will have to wait two more years in my backyard until I can finally officially join the airsoft community.
Quote:
Q) How old do I have to be to play/buy Airsoft?

A) You MUST be 18+ years of age to purchase any airsoft guns or parts. To play, it will depend on the field and host regulations. The general rule across Canada is 18+ years of age to play or 16+ years of age with adult supervision.
It really comes down to the host. Even then some hosts may have only exemptions on the 18+ rule for specific games.
__________________

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:13   #8
sgtskywalker
 
sgtskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
I would say that if you got a Minor's PAL (Firearms License) and passed, it would go a long way to show that you are mature and responsible enough to own and operate an airsoft gun and participate in games. However this is just my opinion, but I'm sure others would agree. I don't know you, but based on your lack of shitty english and the logic in your post you don't seem like a dumbass kid we normally get in the boards, which is refreshing.

Also, if you are interested in still pursuing airsoft under 18, I would go about contacting local hosts of games in the "event" section and ask them if you can participate(not as player at first) and help out. Earn your brownie points and I'm sure you will be on a field in no time. Your going to have to earn your way to play unlike everyone else, but like everyone else, be an ass/unsafe you will shown out the door you walked in.

Hope that helps.
My father is actually into airsoft as well, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem. When I told him about the adult supervision, he said it wouldn't be a problem for him, unless they mean other player's supervision during the game by adult supervision. Getting the Minor's PAL would also be an option for me to get into games, and I would just love to be there during games to help them out, even if I'm not playing, as I am assisting to the game in some way. Thank you for your posts and your help again, it really did make things clearer in my head. I appreciate the fact that you took your time to explain, instead of just sending me back into the FAQ, or asking me to get Age Verified like some would probably do, and already did, when I was seeking out answers.

Last edited by sgtskywalker; June 28th, 2011 at 15:15..
sgtskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:17   #9
T_A_N_K
 
T_A_N_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
By parent/adult supervision, it should be someone that actually cares about your well being and that you know. Not just some random player.
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:28   #10
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskywalker View Post
My father is actually into airsoft as well, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem. When I told him about the adult supervision, he said it wouldn't be a problem for him, unless they mean other player's supervision during the game by adult supervision. Getting the Minor's PAL would also be an option for me to get into games, and I would just love to be there during games to help them out, even if I'm not playing, as I am assisting to the game in some way. Thank you for your posts and your help again, it really did make things clearer in my head. I appreciate the fact that you took your time to explain, instead of just sending me back into the FAQ, or asking me to get Age Verified like some would probably do, and already did, when I was seeking out answers.
Adult supervision also, at times, requires your parent or legal guardian to play along side with you and not just hang out in the safe zone.

Getting, having, providing a PAL still doesn't mean a whole lot! It could help depending on the host but not with all.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:28   #11
sgtskywalker
 
sgtskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
Best rule of thumb, do not take it/show it anywhere that the public has access to. Not everyone has access to your house/yard. Everyone has access to a park.

Im putting the bottom in bold because you seem intent that it is OK to shoot in your backyard, depending on where you live it may be, but highly unlikely.

Your best bet if you want to "shoot" is to set up targets in your basement (if its big enough, and your parents let you). Just remember, two eyes are better than one so wear protection. Also unless your friend have permission from their parents, don't let them shoot your gun. If your dumbass friends run outside with your gun and gets arrested, your going to get into trouble as well, not as much, but you are responsible for him having it in the first place, get it? and for gods sake, don't shoot each other.

To put it simple, go to your backyard, walk 200 meters in any direction. If someone else lives/owns property within this boundary, don't shoot there.
Well my backyard is actually pretty hidden from the neighbors, as there are many high enough trees hiding it from them. My parents are OK with me going there or in the basement. Fortunately, the friend(s) I might invite to shoot out is/are not dumb enough to run out on the street with it and shoot at people taking a walk, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem as well. Shooting at each other was just an example (as I have a bad experience with this from which I learned a lot. The poor fellow lost a tooth..). Finally, when I'm outside, I basically shoot on small targets (cans or other) placed at secure locations, out of range of people that might pass, or just enjoy a sunny day dreaming on their backyard. Oh and I never forget my eye protection, as those special glasses are always ready and waiting for me as soon as I decide to take my gun to the backyard and shoot some cans.
sgtskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 15:31   #12
sgtskywalker
 
sgtskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
Adult supervision also, at times, requires your parent or legal guardian to play along side with you and not just hang out in the safe zone.

Getting, having, providing a PAL still doesn't mean a whole lot! It could help depending on the host but not with all.
Well my father was actually talking about me and him going to games together, so I guess it goes to the host now, and I will have to ask him personally and seek answers from him.
sgtskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 16:03   #13
Jackals
 
Jackals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ottawa. Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Jackals Send a message via Skype™ to Jackals
I am not sure what the situation is like in Montreal but I heard somewhere that they only do 18+ events.

If you don't mind the drive, a few fields in Ottawa allow 16+ on most skirmish days if you ask nicely.
__________________
Ottawa's Local Airsoft Site:
www.ottawavalleyairsoft.ca
Jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 16:17   #14
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskywalker View Post
Well my father was actually talking about me and him going to games together, so I guess it goes to the host now, and I will have to ask him personally and seek answers from him.
yeah, that's should work out better for you.

the problem in the past is that I've seen some parents literally drop their kids off, sign the waiver and go shopping for a few hours, treating airsoft as a childcare/babysitting service. seeing as you say your father is already involved, treat it as father son bonding time. (obviously as long as the field owner and host agree to it)

but you seem to be on the right track.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 16:29   #15
Scouser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskywalker View Post
I remember reading here http://torontoairsoft.com/cms.php?id_cms=7 that most games would allow 16+ years old play with adult supervision, which would actually be perfect, but if what you say is true, then I guess I will have to wait two more years in my backyard until I can finally officially join the airsoft community.
I was actually referring to an organisation here in Manitoba called "Lowshots"

They have 1 or two feilds that they play at, the few adult supervisors play with the youngsters, usually using their backup gear so its not shooting as hot, and they have planned scenarios and such. Not really run and gun, they more teach the kids tactics and chain of command and so on.

Think of it almost like a training camp for future airsofters.
__________________
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1146/4732239144_0fa02ba6aa.jpg
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.