Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Chroming a gun?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:46   #16
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskaryot View Post
That sounds good in theory, but doesn't it also expose it to the elements? I guess it would only matter if it's made of steel when it could rust.
Not just steel (some steels won't rust, such as stainless, or treated steels.)

Die cast zinc-aluminum will also suffer from oxidation, particularly if it has a higher zinc content, it will pick up a dull/dark grey oxidation that looks really ugly. Be prepared to re-do the polishing every couple of months to take off the oxidized layer if you decide to do this to most airsoft barrels, as the majority of production grade barrels (such as what KWA offers) are made from pot metal. Even Tokyo Marui's metal parts are highly susceptible to oxidation, as anyone who decided not to heed similar advice will eventually tell you. You could seal it with acrylic to protect it from the elements, but it will eventually wear down due to contact with the slide and its basic mechanical function. The required upkeep isn't worth the cosmetic benefit, in my opinion, as well as the devaluing of the gun/component.

Also, be aware of any coatings that you add on, as the added thickness could affect tolerances and cause mechanical problems.

Last edited by ILLusion; April 19th, 2011 at 01:51..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:20   #17
Statua
 
Statua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portage La Prairie, Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to Statua Send a message via Skype™ to Statua
Not sure how durabe the chrome krylon fusion is but the matte colours have a very strong bond and don't scratch. Chipping however may result on the edges if you transport your gun with other things in the same case/bag as they would bounce and rub against the gun.
Statua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 13:31   #18
D.Kovacs
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winnipeg
all krylon will come off, without too much effort. I would say stay away from chrome, no benefit whatsoever, buy a cheap springer and paint it if you want to play around with a flashy gun.
D.Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 13:45   #19
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek
 
Spawn28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Bay The Gateway to Hells Ars!
Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
For the amount of bullshit and work and hassle why not just buy a chrome slide for it? Fuck they are not that expensive
__________________
Spawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 13:50   #20
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn28 View Post
For the amount of bullshit and work and hassle why not just buy a chrome slide for it? Fuck they are not that expensive
hmm, I don't recall seeing any chrome KWA CZ75 slides for sale, or do you mean real steel?

Edit: There are aluminum conversion kits for KSC CZ75, they should fit fine right? And aluminum won't oxidize either?
__________________

Last edited by Cifyra; April 19th, 2011 at 13:54..
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 16:04   #21
Statua
 
Statua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portage La Prairie, Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to Statua Send a message via Skype™ to Statua
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kovacs
all krylon will come off, without too much effort. I would say stay away from chrome, no benefit whatsoever, buy a cheap springer and paint it if you want to play around with a flashy gun.
Have you tried their line of fusion paints?
Statua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 16:51   #22
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskaryot View Post
Edit: There are aluminum conversion kits for KSC CZ75, they should fit fine right? And aluminum won't oxidize either?
Read my earlier replies again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Die cast zinc-aluminum is NOT the same thing as aircraft grade billet aluminum... which also is NOT the same thing as aluminum siding on a house. Each will react differently to different processes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Die cast zinc-aluminum will also suffer from oxidation, particularly if it has a higher zinc content, it will pick up a dull/dark grey oxidation that looks really ugly. Be prepared to re-do the polishing every couple of months to take off the oxidized layer if you decide to do this to most airsoft barrels, as the majority of production grade barrels (such as what KWA offers) are made from pot metal. Even Tokyo Marui's metal parts are highly susceptible to oxidation, as anyone who decided not to heed similar advice will eventually tell you. You could seal it with acrylic to protect it from the elements, but it will eventually wear down due to contact with the slide and its basic mechanical function. The required upkeep isn't worth the cosmetic benefit, in my opinion, as well as the devaluing of the gun/component.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 19:25   #23
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Read my earlier replies again:
Yeah I've read your post, I'm just not sure what kind of aluminum it is made out of as the seller(redwolfairsoft) didn't specify. All they said was "high quality CNC Aluminium" unless CNC is a type of Aluminum. Btw, I know I can't order from the US, I'm just reading their description for info.
__________________
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:02   #24
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskaryot View Post
Yeah I've read your post, I'm just not sure what kind of aluminum it is made out of as the seller(redwolfairsoft) didn't specify. All they said was "high quality CNC Aluminium" unless CNC is a type of Aluminum. Btw, I know I can't order from the US, I'm just reading their description for info.
CNC is a process of cutting a part using Computer Numerical Control (CNC) to control the path, feed rate, and depth of the tool. It's the physical process of transferring a CAD (Computer Aided Design) file in to a tangible part that matches the design. Most of this work is done on a mill or a lathe, but other types of machine tools can also be used.

"CNC" can be done to plastic, wood, die cast metals, or even aircraft grade aluminum, so saying it's "CNC" alone doesn't mean anything.

"High quality" doesn't mean anything either, as it could just mean it was manufactured with high quality control in the manufacturing process, or that it was manufactured to very tight tolerances.

For what it's worth, MOST retailers do not know enough about a specific product to be able to say what it's actually made of. If you want the real answer, it's better to ask the manufacturer themself.

Last edited by ILLusion; April 19th, 2011 at 20:05..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:07   #25
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
CNC is a process of cutting a part using Computer Numerical Control (CNC) to control the path, feed rate, and depth of the tool. It's the physical process of transferring a CAD (Computer Aided Design) file in to a tangible part that matches the design. Most of this work is done on a mill or a lathe, but other types of machine tools can also be used.

"CNC" can be done to plastic, wood, die cast metals, or even aircraft grade aluminum, so saying it's "CNC" alone doesn't mean anything.

"High quality" doesn't mean anything either, as it could just mean it was manufactured with high quality control in the manufacturing process, or that it was manufactured to very tight tolerances.

For what it's worth, MOST retailers do not know enough about a specific product to be able to say what it's actually made of. If you want the real answer, it's better to ask the manufacturer themself.
Haha, I just realized I've done CNC myself with AutoCAD before, just didn't ring a bell
__________________
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:08   #26
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
CNC process is used a lot to finish up features on cast products, where the casting was done to create the major shape.

Price of the product can give a rough estimate of what the product is made of and how it was made.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:10   #27
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
CNC process is used a lot to finish up features on cast products, where the casting was done to create the major shape.

Price of the product can give a rough estimate of what the product is made of and how it was made.
$460USD before Canadian markup

Edit: Lol, I just realized, $500+ CND just to chrome a gun XD
__________________
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:11   #28
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskaryot View Post
$460USD before Canadian markup
Can you send me a link to it?
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:14   #29
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Can you send me a link to it?
Sure, I think this is the only brand of CZ 75 aluminum slide/body, although I may be wrong. http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...tte_Silver.htm

Really, I'm more interested in just chrome slide.
__________________
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 20:43   #30
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
Okay, it's Prime. Would've helped if you just mentioned that in the beginning.

They use aircraft grade billet aluminum for their kits. If you polish this, it can be done relatively easily with just a buffing wheel on a bench grinder, but that mirror finish can pick up scratches quite easily. However, it won't really oxidize like other metals. Considering the cost of this kit, I'm not sure if you want to be mucking around with it like that, but it's your money, your call.

You *can* nickel plate this type of aluminum, but it does require a few chemicals that you'd have to order. It's also easy to screw up, so consider that when doing this. Again, your money, your call.

The added thickness will probably require you to re-work the interior of all mechanical areas to get proper function.

Last edited by ILLusion; April 19th, 2011 at 20:47..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.