Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

buying used gear

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 13th, 2011, 22:46   #1
Canadian Zombie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mississauga, ontario Canada
buying used gear

Good evening everyone,

I am very new to the Air Soft family and have 2 questions. I just purchased my first pistol and ICS M4 rifle ( when it arrives in stock) from a very cool place in town. but I was wondering about things like battery packs, extra mags, red dot scopes and utility belts. I want to support my local shop, but a father of three is on a budget. Is it advisable to purchase these items used so my money can go farther? or is it best to buy new?

Thanks for your help, and Brrrraaainnss!

Zombie.
Canadian Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 22:55   #2
Redzephyr
 
Redzephyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Mags in particular are very expensive if you're buying new. Used ones (M4 in particular) are very common and, generally, pretty cheap. Provided you're getting it from a reputable seller (feedback system on here lets you get a pretty good idea of who you're dealing with; I personally have yet to be burned and I know that it is the same for most of us) you should be golden.

Gear, too, adds up very quickly. Take a peek in the Gear classifieds, you should be able to see it without an AV tag (which you ought to get as soon as possible). There's all sorts of things for great prices. When you're AV'ed, you'll have access to parts and accessories (mags, sights, parts... everything including the kitchen sink) and the gun sections. They are a magical place.

And welcome to ASC!
Redzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 22:58   #3
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan
 
Boyso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Québec city
Send a message via MSN to Boyso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzephyr View Post
Mags in particular are very expensive if you're buying new. Used ones (M4 in particular) are very common and, generally, pretty cheap. Provided you're getting it from a reputable seller (feedback system on here lets you get a pretty good idea of who you're dealing with; I personally have yet to be burned and I know that it is the same for most of us) you should be golden.

Gear, too, adds up very quickly. Take a peek in the Gear classifieds, you should be able to see it without an AV tag (which you ought to get as soon as possible). There's all sorts of things for great prices. When you're AV'ed, you'll have access to parts and accessories (mags, sights, parts... everything including the kitchen sink) and the gun sections. They are a magical place.

And welcome to ASC!
It's all about knowing how to shop.

I got 10 mags for 30$. Plastic, and real cap.

They outlasted my 50$ Pmags.

For gear, just go to your local surplus.

Buy quality footwear and quality eyewear first.
__________________
NEW BACON FOR SALE!

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 23:08   #4
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner
 
Eeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Lambert, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Zombie View Post
Good evening everyone,

I am very new to the Air Soft family and have 2 questions. I just purchased my first pistol and ICS M4 rifle ( when it arrives in stock) from a very cool place in town. but I was wondering about things like battery packs, extra mags, red dot scopes and utility belts. I want to support my local shop, but a father of three is on a budget. Is it advisable to purchase these items used so my money can go farther? or is it best to buy new?

Thanks for your help, and Brrrraaainnss!

Zombie.
Used gear is a very good investment. But never never buy used eye protection. Even if it means delaying playing for another month or so. You eyes are worth the investment. Shop around in the classifieds, for good deals, check it against similar items for price. Ask to make sure they are in good order and work with out problems. See if anyone is sellling gear and mags, buying multiple items may get you a deal.

Good luck.

It also helps if you put in your location in your profile, you never know who in your area might have great deals.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinard View Post
eeyore, the more I look at your avatar, the more I find it looks like a vagina...
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 23:14   #5
Redzephyr
 
Redzephyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyso View Post
It's all about knowing how to shop.

I got 10 mags for 30$. Plastic, and real cap.

They outlasted my 50$ Pmags.

For gear, just go to your local surplus.

Buy quality footwear and quality eyewear first.
Well sure. I picked up five metal CA mags for my G3 for 40 bucks... Buying them brand new from a store locally, they would've been forty dollars a piece. Cheaper online, but it still would've likely been at least twenty bucks a pop. Far as I can tell, they'd never been used. I love the classifieds.

And I dunno, surplus stores are hit and miss in my experience. The users on ASC go through a lot of gear, and it's a lot cheaper than new or surplus stores, nine times out of ten.

And as they've both said, do NOT cheap out on eyewear. Good boots are also some of the best gear you can buy.
Redzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 23:16   #6
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan
 
Boyso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Québec city
Send a message via MSN to Boyso
I hate gucci kit people.

As long as you're not afraid of jumping into mud with your BDUs, that's fine with me
__________________
NEW BACON FOR SALE!

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 23:18   #7
Redzephyr
 
Redzephyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Well, does rolling down a muddy wet hill in the middle of trying to fend off an attack count? I mean, granted, my shouting and curses were more because I hadn't meant to do it, and less to put fear into the hearts of my enemies... but still!
Redzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 00:12   #8
Sportco
would-be wine thief
 
Sportco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St-Hilaire
You did not specify what type of M4 you bought... so battery... 2000 mah Nimh lets you play all day without grief or restrictions

Mags... MAG brand mags 130 rnds midcaps on Ehobbyasia.com... about 38,00$ for 8 plus shipping you'll end up paying about 10$ per mag WHEN you lose one you don't flinch!!! Metal ones just look better... same inside ((Probably same price as used mags))

Get good goggles... ESS is one of the best... XT about 40$ + shipping at opticplanet.com

Get teeth protection... don't listen to people who havent paid 1200$ to fix a broken tooth (mouth piece, mask or screen)

My advice to you would be NOT to buy anything you don't REALLY need... cause eventually you will want to match everything with your BDU's ((so start with cheap surplus canadian forces OD stuff)) fits with everything... until... as we all did... you become really silly and NEED to buy stuff!!!

Even if you don't want to ... you'll end up owning several BDU's (black, tan, green, camo...)

If you wait a few months (even weeks of playing) your views on must haves will evolve (a lot!!!)...

Cheers
__________________

Level 3 Directory assistance operator
Level 1 skapegoat
It ain't the years, it's the miles.

Last edited by Sportco; February 14th, 2011 at 00:16..
Sportco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 00:29   #9
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Buy batteries new. Contact me if you need some.

For gear, you can buy used if you want.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 21:00   #10
Canadian Zombie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mississauga, ontario Canada
WOW!!

thank you all so much for advice and support. I will update my profile and will check out the classifieds after I get Age Verified!

Later days,

Zombie.
Canadian Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 21:12   #11
Canadian Zombie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mississauga, ontario Canada
I have been having a great time picking up new gear, I had to purchase a full face mask/goggle combo because I wear glasses and the cool Spec-Ops shades wont fit over top. I broke out my old Canadian Armed Forces jacket and made it into a vest for mags and gear!

everyone mentions boots, can I not wear sneakers? i much so much better in running shoes.
Canadian Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 21:34   #12
Redzephyr
 
Redzephyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
By all means, you can wear whatever you like and find comfortable. Most people just find life much better with a good pair of boots for a day of play.

And I know what you mean about glasses. Some ballistic-type goggles will fit overtop, and in my experience all paintball goggles will fit. Need to find a good set though; my Sand/Wind/Dust goggles are not only super tight on the glasses, but they fog worse than my windshield does. (And I have a terrible car) I'm hoping that the ESS Turbofan goggles will fit over my glasses... just would like to be able to make sure before I drop a whack of cash on them.
Redzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 21:05   #13
Canadian Zombie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mississauga, ontario Canada
Thanks Redzephyr!

I appreciate the feedback andI cant wait to get out there are have some fun.

Later days,

Zombie.
Canadian Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 21:43   #14
DEATH2000
 
DEATH2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzephyr View Post
I'm hoping that the ESS Turbofan goggles will fit over my glasses... just would like to be able to make sure before I drop a whack of cash on them.
ESS makes Rx inserts for their goggles and glasses so look into those. I know several people who wore glasses and got the Rx inserts and loved them. They replace the need for glasses
__________________
DEATH2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 21:47   #15
Redzephyr
 
Redzephyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Oh, sweet. I'll look into that right now, then. Thanks!
Redzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.