Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SVD Modification?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 19th, 2011, 23:12   #31
Specs
 
Specs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria City
are you allowed to rape, kill and deform a dog?
NOOO!
therefore you cant do that to a SVD PERIOD...its wrong
__________________


Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 23:28   #32
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specs View Post
are you allowed to rape, kill and deform a dog?
NOOO!
therefore you cant do that to a SVD PERIOD...its wrong


But I AM allowed to Pimp my Bird :>
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 23:42   #33
Specs
 
Specs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria City
if its name is RS SVD then no
__________________


Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 23:47   #34
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specs View Post
if its name is RS SVD then no
Just think about how awesome a totles pimped out SVD with custom paint job, fore-grip and optics would be, and you'd understand my love for all things custom. It's one-of-a-kind, million-in-one. Best of all, it's mine... all... mine... mwuhahhahahahaha!!!
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 23:53   #35
Specs
 
Specs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria City
......im gonna drop the r bomb soon.....i gotta go
__________________


Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 00:24   #36
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specs View Post
......im gonna drop the r bomb soon.....i gotta go
Yea I pretty much got all the information that I wanted, and more.
1. Theoretically I CAN modify an RS to full auto, but it'd take a bit of work. Also I have to know more about how AEGs work.
2. Shortening the barrel and re-crowning is something that I could do myself with the right tools. However, to re-thread the barrel, as long as I can find the right people to do it for me, it's only a matter of money
3. It's unlikely that RS will ever make the QBU-88, so for now my aims should be to save up enough money for an SVD.
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:19   #37
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
I will do anything and everything you want to that SVD.
I don't have eastern firearm morals like these other people
And what's more, I'll actually make it look good!
And paint it, and put optics on it, and upgrade if need be but those RS SVD's are crazy accurate stock.
And it won't be terribly expensive to get the custom work done either, I just love these projects

Did I mention I'm also a machinist, painter, welder, millwright and very well experienced gunsmith?
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:59   #38
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I will do anything and everything you want to that SVD.
I don't have eastern firearm morals like these other people
And what's more, I'll actually make it look good!
And paint it, and put optics on it, and upgrade if need be but those RS SVD's are crazy accurate stock.
And it won't be terribly expensive to get the custom work done either, I just love these projects

Did I mention I'm also a machinist, painter, welder, millwright and very well experienced gunsmith?
Lol oh really? Well then once I get my hands on one of those beasts, I'll be sure to let you know :3
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:14   #39
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
Wicked
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:41   #40
Amos
 
Amos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokushima, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Amos
Lol have fun frank.

the biggest upgrade you can do to a RS SVD is a new spring and hop-up rubber.

Everything else is proprietary and doesn't need to be changed.

I'm 5'11", I found my SVD to be on the short side and I had absolutely no problems maneuvering around in the bush with it.
__________________
Custom Builds:
FA3674U
Krinkov
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:18   #41
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
Lol have fun frank.

the biggest upgrade you can do to a RS SVD is a new spring and hop-up rubber.

Everything else is proprietary and doesn't need to be changed.

I'm 5'11", I found my SVD to be on the short side and I had absolutely no problems maneuvering around in the bush with it.
Oh hey, an age verifier, reminds me I gotta get AV'd soon.
Btw, I'm thinking you probably use your SVD the way RS designed it to be used; more of a sniper than a DMR/AR lol

To be honest, I think barrel shortening would be fairly pointless without the full auto conversion and vice versa. To use it like a DMR/AR, I think someone would probably need both full auto capability AND maneuverability. However, if one only uses it mainly for sniping, the semi-auto and the barrel length would be perfectly fine.

Edit: Just read an article about the TK Twist barrel, looks pretty sweet...

Last edited by Cifyra; January 20th, 2011 at 06:23..
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:46   #42
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskaryot View Post
And since I won't be planning on buying anymore AEGs,
Hahaha.... That's a laugh. These words will come out of your mouth when your wife or girlfriend confronts you on your airsoft habit:

"I can stop whenever I want.... I swear.... I just don't want to.... yet."

Also (when referring to a gun your wife/girlfriend hasn't seen before), "Look at it, it's just so cuuuuute, it totally followed me home, I swear. Can I keep it?"

If you use a TK Twist you WILL have to install a 1 Joule spring for best results. (M110 at the most, since according to Illusion that's when accuracy is acceptable, and any higher after that it's worse than a 6.08 barrel). It's an awesome product (and I'm planning on installing one into my next rifle), don't get me wrong, but you'll have to be part of the 1 Joule club for best results.

Also..... I wouldn't be surprised to see SVD's going for cheaper in a few months once the market "stabilizes" more and there's more stock floating around in Canada. Don't buy bleeding edge unless you can pay the premium for being the kid on the block with the newest and coolest toys.

Finally, it's not length that affects accuracy, it's a combination of bore consistency, bore tightness, and length. Consistency being the thing that affects accuracy the most (which is how the TK Twist works, with the "rifling" creating a "pocket of air" for the BB to float on for a "straighter" path down the barrel), then tightness affects the bouncing of the BB inside the barrel (less bouncing = better accuracy). So I guess you'd be fine to cut down a barrel but not on the SVD or I will have to kill you. However you also have to worry about crowning the barrel which means that accuracy at the end will be affected (the crown is the last thing that the BB touches as it exits and logic would dictate it would affect the BB's flight path), so it's best to pickup a shorter barrel of the right length so you don't have to deburr/crown the barrel.
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 16:31   #43
Cifyra
Iskaryot
 
Cifyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga/Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Hahaha.... That's a laugh. These words will come out of your mouth when your wife or girlfriend confronts you on your airsoft habit:

"I can stop whenever I want.... I swear.... I just don't want to.... yet."

Also (when referring to a gun your wife/girlfriend hasn't seen before), "Look at it, it's just so cuuuuute, it totally followed me home, I swear. Can I keep it?"
Haha, I would buy another AEG if Real Sword made another PLA rifle. However, I'm not sure how that will turn out, so the most I would do is to spend the money on upgrading the SVD or something lol. Unless I decide to get another loadout. But I don't think I'd do that until I get a full-time job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post

If you use a TK Twist you WILL have to install a 1 Joule spring for best results. (M110 at the most, since according to Illusion that's when accuracy is acceptable, and any higher after that it's worse than a 6.08 barrel). It's an awesome product (and I'm planning on installing one into my next rifle), don't get me wrong, but you'll have to be part of the 1 Joule club for best results.
Ah, so I guess It's better for SMGs and Pistols then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Also..... I wouldn't be surprised to see SVD's going for cheaper in a few months once the market "stabilizes" more and there's more stock floating around in Canada. Don't buy bleeding edge unless you can pay the premium for being the kid on the block with the newest and coolest toys.
By the time I get enough money for the SVD, hopefully the price would've dropped...


Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Finally, it's not length that affects accuracy, it's a combination of bore consistency, bore tightness, and length. Consistency being the thing that affects accuracy the most (which is how the TK Twist works, with the "rifling" creating a "pocket of air" for the BB to float on for a "straighter" path down the barrel), then tightness affects the bouncing of the BB inside the barrel (less bouncing = better accuracy). So I guess you'd be fine to cut down a barrel but not on the SVD or I will have to kill you. However you also have to worry about crowning the barrel which means that accuracy at the end will be affected (the crown is the last thing that the BB touches as it exits and logic would dictate it would affect the BB's flight path), so it's best to pickup a shorter barrel of the right length so you don't have to deburr/crown the barrel.
Actually, I heard that the pocket of air doesn't actually float the BBs, but rather make the bouncing around inside the barrel more predictable.


Larry makes crowning look easy lol
YouTube - Gunsmith - How to shorten and recrown barrel with hand tool
Cifyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:18   #44
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
Well the fact is, between Amos and myself we've gotten smoothbore airsoft guns both bolt and electric to shoot DAMN far and DAMN accurately.
Further and more accurately than you could with a TK twist barrel actually, specifically because your limited to a low joule rating, and thus, light ammo, meaning it's very likely to get swept away by the wind.
It's a widely accepted fact that smoothbore barrels and get you consistent accuracy out at 150ft no problem.
Sure you might be able to reproduce those results with a twist barrel....in a hermetically sealed environment....
But anyway, there's no use in going to twist barrels unless they start making them for 1.7 and 2.0 joules
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:05   #45
Amos
 
Amos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokushima, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Amos
TK twist barrels are made for Japan where the LAW prohibits people from owning airsoft guns that fire over 328 FPS on a .20 BB (1J).

There's alot more you can do if you don't have those restrictions.

Also, about the comment on how I used my SVD;

I used it as both a sniper rifle and a DMR. It was equipped with a MOSFET and an 11.1 25C LIPO battery.
__________________
Custom Builds:
FA3674U
Krinkov
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.