Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

GBBR vs AEG

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 30th, 2010, 17:48   #1
magicmint
 
magicmint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
GBBR vs AEG

In terms of viability, what is the difference between the two? What would you guys rather use in a game? I have a GBBR Scar, and if I were to start playing in the future I though of using it. What do you guys think?
magicmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 17:57   #2
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmint View Post
In terms of viability, what is the difference between the two? What would you guys rather use in a game? I have a GBBR Scar, and if I were to start playing in the future I though of using it. What do you guys think?
AEG pros,

works in cold weather
mags cheap
proven tech
consistent fps shot to shot
sustained full auto fire

AEG- cons
not great in wet weather
delicate
complex
charging batteries
no recoil

GBBR pos
Realistic feel and operation
recoil
generally simple construction
works fine in wet weather
no batteries
heavier BBs don't go slower

GBBR Cons
GAS operation- cooldown- so no sustained full auto
Expensive mags, prone to leaks
Realcap mag capacities ( I dont see this as a con personally)
does not operate below 10degrees c unless CO2 mags used
Inconsistent FPS
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; September 30th, 2010 at 18:02..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:00   #3
magicmint
 
magicmint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Awesome summary. Thanks.
magicmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:06   #4
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Let me add.

To get a operational loadout for a GBBR.. the WE SCAR for example

Guns costs- 500
10 reliable mags - so you will need 12 as 2 will be down at any one time - $540
NPAS - 60
steel upgrades- $100
= $1200

I have over $2000 in my WE m4 ( granted I have 3 upper receivers for it)
but I love the gun and can't see going back to an AEG for anything other than cold weather play
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:11   #5
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I would have to disagree with you on one point Brian:

"AEG- cons
not great in wet weather"

AEG's work great in wet weather, not much difference.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:12   #6
magicmint
 
magicmint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
What are steel upgrades as well as Npas?
And I dont mind spending more on mags. The WE Scar so far feels like the best Airsoft rifle I've held yet.
magicmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:13   #7
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
I would have to disagree with you on one point Brian:

"AEG- cons
not great in wet weather"

AEG's work great in wet weather, not much difference.
But... it is electric and so the potential exists for troubles.. just ask a PTW user if he has had an attack of gremlins while using his gun in the rain.
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:14   #8
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmint View Post
What are steel upgrades as well as Npas?
And I dont mind spending more on mags. The WE Scar so far feels like the best Airsoft rifle I've held yet.
lots of info about that on this forum take a look around
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:18   #9
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
But... it is electric and so the potential exists for troubles.. just ask a PTW user if he has had an attack of gremlins while using his gun in the rain.
LOL PTW's.
Yes those are crap in wet weather. But they're not normal AEG's either.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:22   #10
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45
 
Assault Pioneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton AB
I'd also like to add with an aeg you can grab it and go, you rarely have to do maintenance, a GBBR is much like a real weapon, it needs to be maintained properly with the right lube's and material etc.

if your the guy who doesn't like to strip, clean and re lube a weapon after every use a GBBR is not for you, if your the guy who doesn't fix something exactly like how it's supposed to be fixed (proper replacement part and use propper tools and techniques) and is a "JBweld Mechanic" or like's to use tape to hold things in place or if a screw or pin falls out you grab any random one that'll fit with the help of a bit of force a GBBR is not for you, you'll kill it.

if you know how to PROPERLY maintain a weapon, not use a hammer or jbweld on it, and will actually maintain it and use propper ammo, gas and parts on it then a GBBR is for you, if you don't fit into all of these categories than use an aeg because a gbbr needs to be looked after, after use or it will malfunction and break

basically if you don't take proper care of all your things, and neglect basic stuff than are surprised when it breaks, a gbbr will break in your 3rd day. an aeg is better suited for that type of person because they don't have to deal with the forces a gbbr goes under, and usually lasts forever without maintenance depending if it's a reliable brand
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Wow, best derailed thread, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Don't take weapons training from a book. It ranks right up there with people who think they know guns from watching a Chris Costa video.

Last edited by Assault Pioneer; September 30th, 2010 at 18:31.. Reason: its gbbr not bggr lol
Assault Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:27   #11
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault Pioneer View Post
I'd also like to add with an aeg you can grab it and go, you rarely have to do maintenance, a GBBR is much like a real weapon, it needs to be maintained properly with the right lube's and material etc.

if your the guy who doesn't like to strip, clean and re lube a weapon after every use a GBBR is not for you, if your the guy who doesn't fix something exactly like how it's supposed to be fixed (proper replacement part and use propper tools and techniques) and is a "JBweld Mechanic" or like's to use tape to hold things in place or if a screw or pin falls out you grab any random one that'll fit with the help of a bit of force a GBBR is not for you, you'll kill it.

if you know how to PROPERLY maintain a weapon, not use a hammer or jbweld on it, and will actually maintain it and use propper ammo, gas and parts on it then a BGGR is for you, if you don't fit into all of these categories than use an aeg because a gbbr needs to be looked after, after use or it will malfunction and break
100 percent spot on.. but if you are a RS owner.. it's no big deal..
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:59   #12
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
If you've got a GBBR then run with it. I love my AEG to bits but if I get the chance I'll jump onto the GBBR bandwagon (well actually what I want to do is own a Classic airsoft with an external rig/hose). I'd still keep my AEG as a backup and cold weather gun though.

Don't worry about classic airsoft since they're expensive as hell but the pros are they don't suffer from cool down and you can use AEG mags, con's being that if something breaks then you're pretty much hooped.

I think a GBBR, if you're conservative with your shooting will be fine and can mitigate the cool down effect enough that it doesn't matter as much (ie you don't dump a whole mag in 5 seconds but instead maybe do a few short "three round bursts" and single shot firing).
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 18:59   #13
Dart
 
Dart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Grande Prairie Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Let me add.

To get a operational loadout for a GBBR.. the WE SCAR for example

Guns costs- 500
10 reliable mags - so you will need 12 as 2 will be down at any one time - $540
NPAS - 60
steel upgrades- $100
= $1200

I have over $2000 in my WE m4 ( granted I have 3 upper receivers for it)
but I love the gun and can't see going back to an AEG for anything other than cold weather play
Why do you need 12 mags??? I play with the canadian vest which holds 4 m4 mags plus one in the gun. On larger games I usually have to reload oh lets say every 2-3 deaths. I do run Co2 so I Just carry poweletts in one of my pouch and a speed loader of 300 rounds. I normaly have to go back to staging area after about 2-3 hours.....

maybe I am a better shot than you :P

All the info you will ever need.

just a word of advice though bring a reliable AEG with you for the first few games as you find things that need to be replaced/fixed/tweaked. Oh and carry a bottle of locktite with your kit. Your gonna need it.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 19:33   #14
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45
 
Assault Pioneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Why do you need 12 mags??? I play with the canadian vest which holds 4 m4 mags plus one in the gun. On larger games I usually have to reload oh lets say every 2-3 deaths. I do run Co2 so I Just carry poweletts in one of my pouch and a speed loader of 300 rounds. I normaly have to go back to staging area after about 2-3 hours.....

maybe I am a better shot than you :P

All the info you will ever need.

just a word of advice though bring a reliable AEG with you for the first few games as you find things that need to be replaced/fixed/tweaked. Oh and carry a bottle of locktite with your kit. Your gonna need it.
no sounds like you die alot actually. you have time to sit back and reload and re-gas each mag at you spawn point or however you play the game.

however if you play milsims or just fairly long skirmishes and go all day without being shot or taken out of the game, 4 or 5 mags is not nearly enough, being stuck in the woods without the luxery to just refill mags you won't last, I fire one shot at my opponant and I hit them. 5, 30 rounds mags were not enough for me in an 8 hour game, I now carry 11, sometimes I only make it through 8 mags but having to refill mags is really gay because you loose out on game time
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Wow, best derailed thread, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Don't take weapons training from a book. It ranks right up there with people who think they know guns from watching a Chris Costa video.
Assault Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 19:33   #15
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Why do you need 12 mags??? I play with the canadian vest which holds 4 m4 mags plus one in the gun. On larger games I usually have to reload oh lets say every 2-3 deaths. I do run Co2 so I Just carry poweletts in one of my pouch and a speed loader of 300 rounds. I normaly have to go back to staging area after about 2-3 hours.....

maybe I am a better shot than you :P

All the info you will ever need.

just a word of advice though bring a reliable AEG with you for the first few games as you find things that need to be replaced/fixed/tweaked. Oh and carry a bottle of locktite with your kit. Your gonna need it.
I carry a full loadout.. 300 rounds.. because in the games I play you can't carry loose ammo .. and you may not see your base for 5 hours.

Most of the games I play at have ammo limits of 300 rounds per sortie ... or sometimes 300 rounds total for the game..

Most the time I never go though all the ammo carried.. but sometimes I do Covering fire eats BBs fast...

3 or 4 mags are fine if you are running a RECCE and don't expect prolonged contact.. but if you are digging in to repulse assault.. or on the assault .. you will be counting rounds fast.
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.