Airsoft Canada
www.jsairsoft.com

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Battery Charger

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 18th, 2010, 18:20   #1
Hoarday
 
Hoarday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Niagara Falls
Battery Charger

So I'm shopping around for a decent charger, and I found one on airsoftparts.ca, Universal NPT Smart Charger. It's cheaper in comparison to the rest of the chargers they have there (35 compared to the other at ~85), but it's also the only one that doesn't charge LiPos. I don't really care about that part since I have no interest in switching to LiPo any time in the near future. Is this charger worth it all things considered?

Linky:
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1030
Hoarday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 18:12   #2
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave
 
Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Markham-ON
Send a message via AIM to Affliction Send a message via MSN to Affliction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarday View Post
So I'm shopping around for a decent charger, and I found one on airsoftparts.ca, Universal NPT Smart Charger. It's cheaper in comparison to the rest of the chargers they have there (35 compared to the other at ~85), but it's also the only one that doesn't charge LiPos. I don't really care about that part since I have no interest in switching to LiPo any time in the near future. Is this charger worth it all things considered?

Linky:
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1030
Very good charger, for the money. I bought one off Scarecrow a few years back and it hasn't killed any of my batteries so far.

I did plug in my battery backwards once (half sleep, burrrr) and it shorted the unit. Luckily it is smartly designed with a 2/250 fuse in the connector and all I had to replace was that (quick trip to Radio Shack).
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 18:16   #3
Amos
 
Amos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokushima, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Amos
... I beg to differ, They're not very good chargers and several people I know have had to purchase new batteries because of them.

They will charge your battery.. but will also kill your battery over time.
__________________
Custom Builds:
FA3674U
Krinkov
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 18:26   #4
Rotting
Roko
 
Rotting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
I'd recommend this charger.

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4005.html

Sometimes it takes a bit of hunting to find one, but well worth it. Easy to use as well, learned how to use mine without a manual or any previous experience using a battery charger.
__________________



Primary: Custom WE M16A3
Secondary: KWA MP9
Side: Custom WE M1911A1
Rotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 19:05   #5
horto
 
horto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
I'm a big fan of this charger, if you don't need to charge LiPo and can find one around here.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/tlp-expro...y-charger.html
horto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:29   #6
Rotting
Roko
 
Rotting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Some people have called that the blue box of death for batteries, although I'm not sure why. A few people I know own and like it, unless there's some kind of technical specification with it that isn't the same as others.
__________________



Primary: Custom WE M16A3
Secondary: KWA MP9
Side: Custom WE M1911A1
Rotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:54   #7
Sportco
would-be wine thief
 
Sportco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St-Hilaire
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-Smart-Charg...item51922e6378

I have been using that model (with tempeture sensor & voltage control) for about a year... mine has 7,2 v to 14,x v
Works for me... not sure but my understanding is that what kills batteries is hi temperatures caused by over charge... this one slows down if the temperature rises..

Cheer,

(I've heard the batery killer comments... but not for the temp. sensor one...

Pete
__________________

Level 3 Directory assistance operator
Level 1 skapegoat
It ain't the years, it's the miles.
Sportco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:17   #8
Ratters
 
Ratters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Decent charger

If you want a decent or an awesome charger source out your local R/C shop. These guys know a thing or two about batteries, types of batteries best choice for what you want it to do, how to keep it alive, cycling it, etc.

What is always handy is a charger that you can hook up to a car battery. This way while your inhaling your chow you can top up your battery. You'll be popular with your buddies too!

Cheers,
Ratters
__________________
Canīt sleep. Clowns will eat me!
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 14:05   #9
BABU
 
BABU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportco View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fast-Smart-Charg...item51922e6378

I have been using that model (with tempeture sensor & voltage control) for about a year... mine has 7,2 v to 14,x v
Works for me... not sure but my understanding is that what kills batteries is hi temperatures caused by over charge... this one slows down if the temperature rises..

Cheer,

(I've heard the batery killer comments... but not for the temp. sensor one...

Pete
any1 have any experience with that charger/what you guys think??? seems well priced and like it has all the bells and whistles xcept for discharging a battery
BABU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 17:35   #10
SlashH4X
 
SlashH4X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I suggest you buy the piranha digital peak charger. the blue one form airsoft parts is cheap Chinese made and my friends battery recently exploded while being charged by one.
SlashH4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:04   #11
VooDooPeteK
 
VooDooPeteK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thorold, Ont
depends on what you are looking to spend

the hobby shop in St.Catharines has a some for like $50 that will charge/discharge your batteries and I have yet to have a problem with any batteries (airsoft or RC)

if you plan on going lipo then spend a bit more and get a charger that will charge all types of batteries, then you are set for any situation that comes along
VooDooPeteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 19:51   #12
Rob121
 
Rob121's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Niagara
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPeteK View Post
depends on what you are looking to spend

the hobby shop in St.Catharines has a some for like $50 that will charge/discharge your batteries and I have yet to have a problem with any batteries (airsoft or RC)

if you plan on going lipo then spend a bit more and get a charger that will charge all types of batteries, then you are set for any situation that comes along
Which battery charger is that. I was there the other day and they told me they did not have anything in that could charge my battery.
Rob121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 21:16   #13
VooDooPeteK
 
VooDooPeteK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thorold, Ont
not sure what batteries you are using but the charger I was talking about is the same in the link below

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4036

Hoarday uses 8.4 (7 cells) in his MP5 so this charger would be fine
VooDooPeteK is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
www.jsairsoft.com

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.