Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

18+ age restrictions Reasons

:

General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:00   #16
Jimski
 
Jimski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
well okay but I don't think a 18+ rule needs a lot of explanation.
__________________
Jimski is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:00   #17
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner
 
Eeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Lambert, Quebec
We all want to play with mature players who show respect and good judgment, but being eighteen does not magically make a person mature or posess the ability to make good choices. Being eighteen does however make you responsible for the choices you make for good or for bad. This is the prime reason for that rule, being accountable. Another major factor is the environment of airsoft. Players smoke, drink, swear, this rule protects the adults as much as minors.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinard View Post
eeyore, the more I look at your avatar, the more I find it looks like a vagina...
Eeyore is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:15   #18
Hairu
 
Hairu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
. Another major factor is the environment of airsoft. Players smoke, drink, swear, this rule protects the adults as much as minors.
We can drink at matches !?
*note to self add flask to future airsoft kit*

Last edited by Hairu; April 27th, 2010 at 17:21..
Hairu is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:20   #19
CimmShark
 
CimmShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under water lab being tested on, somewhere in Lake Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairu View Post
We can drink at matches !?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no we can't.

I don't know where you got that crazy idea from.

No one ever does that because it could lead to a dangerous situation

lol.....
CimmShark is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:23   #20
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner
 
Eeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Lambert, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by CimmShark View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no we can't.

I don't know where you got that crazy idea from.

No one ever does that because it could lead to a dangerous situation

lol.....
And that Hairu is one of the reasons why you need to be an adult. Because stupid things do happen. People do drink a few after, and sometimes during breaks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinard View Post
eeyore, the more I look at your avatar, the more I find it looks like a vagina...
Eeyore is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:37   #21
Rugger_can
 
Rugger_can's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Downtown Ottawa
Maturity means nothing, unfortunately Canada and its provinces has decided that 18 is the benchmark year for being able to make ones own decisions and be held responsible for the outcomes of those decisions. Unfortunately this is not up to discussion. If your not happy with this answer try to remember that it is perfectly legal to discriminate on the basis of age (for ontario anyway) until you turn 18, thus this community and any fields that do so are well within their rights to deny you service based on your age. If your unwilling to wait until you are of age then this community is not the right place for you sadly.
Rugger_can is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:38   #22
Danke
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Danger Zone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
well okay but I don't think a 18+ rule needs a lot of explanation.
It sure seems confusing to people under 18, but then on the day of your 18th birthday it's suddenly clear as a bell.
__________________
Airsoft, where nothing is hurt but feelings.
Danke is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 17:49   #23
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner
 
Eeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Lambert, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
It sure seems confusing to people under 18, but then on the day of your 18th birthday it's suddenly clear as a bell.
No, on their 18th birthday they get included in the "adult" club and just don't give a shit any more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinard View Post
eeyore, the more I look at your avatar, the more I find it looks like a vagina...
Eeyore is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 18:00   #24
Con Murder
 
Con Murder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lethbridge Alberta Canada
The one reason for all to consider is the exposure of airsoft. Yes we want people to know and play our beloved sport. Yet on the other side is the fact that its so crazy intense that you have to tell everyone! So a seventeen year old telling all his friends is more likely to create a wave of other under-agers than an eighteen year old simply due to the whole grouping of ages in our school systems. Yes the average eighteen year old has younger friends but they also will be eighteen soon enough.
__________________
Con Murder
Dark Rhino
L.A. Airsoft
Con Murder is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 18:55   #25
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
What I always tell people complaining about age restrictions

you will be too young for x years ... and too old for the rest of you life.. Wait.. go do stuff that people x years old do.... X activity will still be here when you are old enough.
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:51   #26
shaharov
 
shaharov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Duncan, BC (just North of Victoria)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
.... It's up to the field owner in the end of whether or not they can play or not.

ie. You can't buy guns till you're 18+ here on the forums but you can always rent or otherwise when you're 16+. Hell I know that places like Laser Trek in Calgary have a 14+ rule (same as paintball IIRC and I believe that's because of safety concerns from the parent insurance company that stipulates things like this).

Other places might be 16+, and even others may be 18+ no exceptions and others 18+ unless with a reputable 18+ player taking care of you (ie. uncle/brother/dad/cousin playing alongside you).

ALSO NOTE that paintball fields aren't really supposed to be letting people play airsoft because it's not really stipulated in their insurance policy.
I realize that it's field based decision. Actually this is for our field and we're inforcing a 18+ rule or 16+ with parental permisson (we need to talk to them first). I just get asked a lot by some kids (and parents for that matter). We have our own reasons for age restrictions but I want to see if they line up with everyone elses across Canada, as well as see if there's anything I missed. I'll post results when I compile everything.

<Disclaimer> I'm not a lawyer but I play one in Airsoft </Disclaimer>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
I like to think of it as Firearm
Technically were pushing airsoft into uncontrolled firearms, we should self-regulate because these item will cause damage. Just the pellet it shoot, not the reprecussion from police and media.

The Firearm Law state you need to be 18 to get your own license. (Dont goto Minors, we dont use airsoft for a living)
Funny thing but I just read on CBC that the Canada Safety Council is pushing for replica firearms to be regulated much like regular firearms (Guess they feel banning them outright isn't really working well). Personally I really dont see a problem with this as yet but I'll wait and see... I'll post another thread for that discussion here http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=103123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
The 18+ rule is entirely about the copious amount of pornography that is found out in the airsoft filed. (It is my understanding that most clubs play on Porno farms)
Nice.. I havn't seen it at our field... maybe I'm not looking in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
mature means you understand community rules and are willing to abide,without the need for someone to give you a lengthy explanation of the reasons why.
+18=being legally an adult : this should be enough.

anything sounding like "yes but *whinewhinewhine*" is a clear demonstration of immaturity.
I completely agree.. I've been ready to hit people... there are 5 admins and to allow a minor we need to come to a concencis (Krap.. can't spell today). One 12 year old has approched 4 of us and says he's mature.. when we say he's to young he says he understands then goes to the next admin.... since he ran out of admin's there's a player now petitioning for him... I'm ready to smack someone... no means no... don't keep asking different people!!!

*Rant stopped.... .ahhh ... that feels better*


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
I dont think this argument is valid. The person claiming to be mature has every right to question why things are the way they are. He he seeking reasoning of a system that he does not clearly see the purpose of at first glance, as far as I know hes not trying to get around the rules or to bend them in order to fulfill his wants and needs. You say being mature means to understand and respect the rules that are in place, how is asking for reasons behind them a "clear demonstration of immaturity"?
I agree, in fact, this is just as much for our admins as well as those that ask, so that we know why were are pushing and enforcing this instead of just saying "well, everyone else is doing this". However, I've found that there is definatly different maturity levels at which (and how) this questions can be asked. But I think everyone has the right to know why these rules. But when you repeatedly push someone, that's a sign of immaturity

*edit I think I contradicted myself there.. I agree that constantly pushing and whining is a sign of immaturity but asking the reason isnt
__________________
Friendly Fire...... ISN'T!!

Last edited by shaharov; April 27th, 2010 at 22:19..
shaharov is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 20:41   #27
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
Dude... No need to quintuple post... Please merge and delete other posts man...

Anyways I see it as being a good idea for both the field and parents.

PS: If that minor is that pushy then no until 18 or he smartens up. Seriously.... I wasn't even that pushy at that age (ok well maybe for things like pokemon and related "school yard" things) but this kid probably won't mesh well with other players (especially with that kind of attitude he'll probably get on a lot of players and admins nerves).
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE
L473ncy is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 22:14   #28
shaharov
 
shaharov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Duncan, BC (just North of Victoria)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Dude... No need to quintuple post... Please merge and delete other posts man...

Anyways I see it as being a good idea for both the field and parents.

PS: If that minor is that pushy then no until 18 or he smartens up. Seriously.... I wasn't even that pushy at that age (ok well maybe for things like pokemon and related "school yard" things) but this kid probably won't mesh well with other players (especially with that kind of attitude he'll probably get on a lot of players and admins nerves).
Yea.. he's been told.. and it's whats pushing us to solidify our policies.. Also sorry bout the quad post... I'll clean it up.
__________________
Friendly Fire...... ISN'T!!
shaharov is offline  
Old April 28th, 2010, 14:46   #29
canadauni
 
canadauni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cowichan Valley, BC
Hey I wasn't approached by this 12 yr old, but anyways I am really not a fan of all the younguns wanting to play
__________________
Canadauni

Yeah I unicycle

canadauni is offline  
Old April 28th, 2010, 16:16   #30
shaharov
 
shaharov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Duncan, BC (just North of Victoria)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadauni View Post
Hey I wasn't approached by this 12 yr old, but anyways I am really not a fan of all the younguns wanting to play
Was Me with Barking Thunder, Dave with ASW, Nate recently, and I thought that he was getting A. Kennedy to ask for him (wasn't the case... another 12yo). So 3 guys. You wern't approched, but you definatily saw in the PM's about it, I think it even came up in our regular board.
__________________
Friendly Fire...... ISN'T!!

Last edited by shaharov; April 28th, 2010 at 16:45..
shaharov is offline  
Closed ThreadTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.