Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

18+ age restrictions Reasons

:

General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:55   #1
shaharov
 
shaharov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Duncan, BC (just North of Victoria)
18+ age restrictions Reasons

Can somebody help me out. I'm trying to compile a list of reason (besides maturity) as to why airsoft fields have 18+ restrictions for airsoft, be it legal, liability, etc and why Airsoft in general is thought to be good at 18+. Basically consider that I'm trying to tell a very mature 17 year old player why he can't play airsoft with us. I fully agree with the 18+ AV but I'm trying to see if I'm missing something and I think it's a good idea to think why exactly the age verification/restriction exists.

Thanks
__________________
Friendly Fire...... ISN'T!!
shaharov is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:24   #2
ex
IRON TESTICLES
 
ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaharov View Post
Can somebody help me out. I'm trying to compile a list of reason (besides maturity) as to why airsoft fields have 18+ restrictions for airsoft, be it legal, liability, etc and why Airsoft in general is thought to be good at 18+. Basically consider that I'm trying to tell a very mature 17 year old player why he can't play airsoft with us. I fully agree with the 18+ AV but I'm trying to see if I'm missing something and I think it's a good idea to think why exactly the age verification/restriction exists.

Thanks
The biggest reason in my mind is legal responsibility. The law deems you to be legally responsible for your actions at 18 Not 17 etc etc. Bottom line is if your under 18 you can not be held responsible for your actions to the same degree as someone 18+
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ex is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:58   #3
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
.... It's up to the field owner in the end of whether or not they can play or not.

ie. You can't buy guns till you're 18+ here on the forums but you can always rent or otherwise when you're 16+. Hell I know that places like Laser Trek in Calgary have a 14+ rule (same as paintball IIRC and I believe that's because of safety concerns from the parent insurance company that stipulates things like this).

Other places might be 16+, and even others may be 18+ no exceptions and others 18+ unless with a reputable 18+ player taking care of you (ie. uncle/brother/dad/cousin playing alongside you).

ALSO NOTE that paintball fields aren't really supposed to be letting people play airsoft because it's not really stipulated in their insurance policy.
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE
L473ncy is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 13:19   #4
Danke
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Danger Zone
I would suppose it's the same reason that's the approximate age of majority for other actions like voting, drinking, driving, watching dirty movies (not all at the same time please!) and so on.

Maybe you should ask Lawdog to jump in here with some precedent why 18 or near to that age is the common standard.
__________________
Airsoft, where nothing is hurt but feelings.
Danke is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 13:46   #5
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Because 18+ is a nice and neat number that businesses tend to use. Don't look at it too closely though. If the 17 is mature enough, "Please wait one more year" should be all the reasoning he needs.

There is no one universial age of majority in Canada, it's set by the provinces and is either 18 or 19. Here you find the liability issue.

Age of criminal responsibility in Canada is 12. Here's your culpability aspect.

18 is the age to vote, but that's hardly indicative of anything.

You can get your learner's licence around 16 in most provinces, and as low as 14 in some. Even with parental supervision, it's vastly far more dangerous situation than airsoft.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 14:37   #6
kullwarrior
 
kullwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I like to think of it as Firearm
Technically were pushing airsoft into uncontrolled firearms, we should self-regulate because these item will cause damage. Just the pellet it shoot, not the reprecussion from police and media.

The Firearm Law state you need to be 18 to get your own license. (Dont goto Minors, we dont use airsoft for a living)
__________________
kullwarrior is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 14:42   #7
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
The Firearm Law state you need to be 18 to get your own license. (Dont goto Minors, we dont use airsoft for a living)
Minor's Licence has nothing to do with using firearms for a living, no more than the full PAL does.

Create age rules based on your own regional community discretion, comfort levels and common sense, but don't mis-characterize laws to do it.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 14:46   #8
Steven
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langley, B.C
In terms of most games, it's entirely up to the host. Some are strictly 18+, some let people under 18 play if deemed repsonsible enough,

I started out watching, learning, take pictures. Then, one day they asked me to play. That was over a year ago, and i haven't had a problem. It's all about who runs the game, and your attitude towards the sport.

But i was very lucky, and an exception. From what I've seen since, 18+ is a nice, nice rule.
Steven is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 14:51   #9
kullwarrior
 
kullwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Minor's Licence has nothing to do with using firearms for a living, no more than the full PAL does.

Create age rules based on your own regional community discretion, comfort levels and common sense, but don't mis-characterize laws to do it.
Well from the godly Canadian Firearm Safety Course handbook, you can only apply for minor's license if you need it for hunting (as a mean of acquiring food).
__________________
kullwarrior is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 15:05   #10
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
Well from the godly Canadian Firearm Safety Course handbook, you can only apply for minor's license if you need it for hunting (as a mean of acquiring food).
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...mineur-eng.htm
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 15:25   #11
Amos
 
Amos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokushima, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Amos
The 18+ rule is entirely about the copious amount of pornography that is found out in the airsoft filed. (It is my understanding that most clubs play on Porno farms)
__________________
Custom Builds:
FA3674U
Krinkov
G3SD6
Amos is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 15:57   #12
Jimski
 
Jimski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaharov View Post
Can somebody help me out. I'm trying to compile a list of reason (besides maturity) as to why airsoft fields have 18+ restrictions for airsoft, be it legal, liability, etc and why Airsoft in general is thought to be good at 18+. Basically consider that I'm trying to tell a very mature 17 year old player why he can't play airsoft with us. I fully agree with the 18+ AV but I'm trying to see if I'm missing something and I think it's a good idea to think why exactly the age verification/restriction exists.

Thanks
mature means you understand community rules and are willing to abide,without the need for someone to give you a lengthy explanation of the reasons why.
+18=being legally an adult : this should be enough.

anything sounding like "yes but *whinewhinewhine*" is a clear demonstration of immaturity.
__________________
Jimski is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 16:09   #13
Mr.Shiney
 
Mr.Shiney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London,Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Shiney
The Five Reasons Why Minors May not Participate in Airsoft:

A Minor Cannot:

1) Enter into a Contract
2) In some areas own an Airgun or Unregulated Unregistered Unrestricted Firearm ( Such as Ontario)
3) Enter into signing away their rights in the form of a waiver
4) Be held completely responsible for their actions both in Criminal and Civil Courts
5) Consent to medical treatment and/or appoint a proxy or responsible person in case they are unable to consent.
__________________

6 Section, 2 Forward Observation Unit Airborne, Royal Artillery
Level 2 Certified BA Sniper
Sniper Instructor (Fieldcraft)

Last edited by Mr.Shiney; April 27th, 2010 at 17:02..
Mr.Shiney is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 16:11   #14
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"
 
pusangani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scarbrah, Ontario
You know the answer yourself, you posted a fine example in your other thread.

Tell the boy that it's because kids do stupid shit like this:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-88892762.html

^
from your own thread
__________________
pusangani is offline  
Old April 27th, 2010, 16:45   #15
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw
 
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
mature means you understand community rules and are willing to abide,without the need for someone to give you a lengthy explanation of the reasons why.
+18=being legally an adult : this should be enough.

anything sounding like "yes but *whinewhinewhine*" is a clear demonstration of immaturity.
I dont think this argument is valid. The person claiming to be mature has every right to question why things are the way they are. He he seeking reasoning of a system that he does not clearly see the purpose of at first glance, as far as I know hes not trying to get around the rules or to bend them in order to fulfill his wants and needs. You say being mature means to understand and respect the rules that are in place, how is asking for reasons behind them a "clear demonstration of immaturity"?
__________________
My trust is in whiskey, in weed and in Slayer, its GODDAMN ELECTRIC - Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline  
Closed ThreadTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 21:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.