Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spur Gear

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 13th, 2010, 20:02   #16
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris
 
yuhaoyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton west
Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
72:1 ratio.... riiiggghhhttttt
Normal gears are ~19:1, high torque are ~21:1, high speed ~16:1
Buy a set of XYT gears as temp replacements, they're $8 and cheap steel.
With a ratio of 72:1, you'll be getting like 3 RPS
Or get these http://www.ebairsoft.com/double-torque-gear-p-2035.html
At stock CA velocities, you should be able to run high speed gears, give whatever you want a try and see the results, if you go to the parts section, there are double, triple and max torque sets, along with high and ultra speed sets.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
I'll bet Ronan was the one who sent that email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.

Last edited by yuhaoyang; April 13th, 2010 at 20:06..
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 20:15   #17
scurvythepirate
 
scurvythepirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kelowna,BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuhaoyang View Post
72:1 ratio.... riiiggghhhttttt
Normal gears are ~19:1, high torque are ~21:1, high speed ~16:1
Buy a set of XYT gears as temp replacements, they're $8 and cheap steel.
With a ratio of 72:1, you'll be getting like 3 RPS
Or get these http://www.ebairsoft.com/double-torque-gear-p-2035.html
At stock CA velocities, you should be able to run high speed gears, give whatever you want a try and see the results, if you go to the parts section, there are double, triple and max torque sets, along with high and ultra speed sets.
Oh god, "Partly made of steal". I wouldnt buy anything internal from EB Airsoft, ever. Knowing their stuff you'll just f-up your gun.
__________________
scurvythepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 20:20   #18
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris
 
yuhaoyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton west
Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
it's temporary, a gap filler.
I say buy it =/ I ran a CA on a XYT sector gear for half a year, and it worked fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
I'll bet Ronan was the one who sent that email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 20:26   #19
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall
 
TokyoSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...roducts_id=567

Problem solved.

Oh look you can buy just a spur gear as well.

http://www.airsoftglobal.com/product...oducts_id=1161

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-UPI-ICS-MC08.htm

Shop around and find a retailer with the lowest shipping and your set.

It appears you can source parts directly from CA, although the lack of pricing seems to lead me to believe that they may not be full operational in sales. http://www.classicarmy.com/products.php?cPath=23_99
__________________


"Its only a little bit on fire"

Last edited by TokyoSeven; April 13th, 2010 at 20:32..
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 20:35   #20
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris
 
yuhaoyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton west
Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
TM gears won't fit in CA box, at least not the V2 I had before.
More specifically, all the gears fit fine except for the sector gear, which strikes the post that the switch spring is attached to

EDIT: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/upgrade-p...g-gearbox.html
see, steel; I've handled 4 of these sets so far, found no lemony bits. Plus the $8 shipping makes it quite economical.
But they do cost 1/4 prometheus gears, so maybe just buy those.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
I'll bet Ronan was the one who sent that email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 21:13   #21
Skruface
 
Skruface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
I am surprised that no one has suggested Modify gears (the standard ones; not the ones with the bracket). At $50-ish bucks a set, they're fairly priced and Modify has an excellent reputation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
That was a very bad move on your behalf. Sort of like cutting off your foot for money, but not getting the money first and then letting the person with the money run away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
Liberals rely on emotion. Conservatives rely on evidence, and the Socialists rely on everyone else.
Skruface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 21:24   #22
turok_t
 
turok_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...roducts_id=567

Problem solved.

Oh look you can buy just a spur gear as well.

http://www.airsoftglobal.com/product...oducts_id=1161

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-UPI-ICS-MC08.htm

Shop around and find a retailer with the lowest shipping and your set.

It appears you can source parts directly from CA, although the lack of pricing seems to lead me to believe that they may not be full operational in sales. http://www.classicarmy.com/products.php?cPath=23_99
Hey T7, didnt u say that i should be getting all gears from the same brand to ensure fitment? I was thinking about just buying the spur gear as well, but what happens if it doesnt fit with the other 2 CA gears?

Also, is 72:1 ratio really bad?? What does 72:1 translate to in terms of ROF?

On the King Arms website, it says that "normal" is 72:1, but tYuHaoYang said its 19:1.. which is right?

Last edited by turok_t; April 13th, 2010 at 22:35..
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 22:37   #23
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris
 
yuhaoyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton west
Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
quite literally like 3 bps.... a high torque set has the sector spinning once every 21 bevel cycles, 72:1 means the bevel spins 72 times every 1 sector spin.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
I'll bet Ronan was the one who sent that email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 23:25   #24
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall
 
TokyoSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuhaoyang View Post
TM gears won't fit in CA box, at least not the V2 I had before.
More specifically, all the gears fit fine except for the sector gear, which strikes the post that the switch spring is attached to
Thats an interesting tid bit, I will keep an eye out for that the next time I look in a classic army V2. I havent worked on a CA in a very long time, since back in the buy a CA and drop a TM mechbox and throw the CA mechbox in the garbage days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
Hey T7, didnt u say that i should be getting all gears from the same brand to ensure fitment? I was thinking about just buying the spur gear as well, but what happens if it doesnt fit with the other 2 CA gears?
I did state that one should attempt to keep everything to one brand, however you stated that you wished for something temporary so I provided you with suggestions.

The non TM gear that I listed was quoted to be Classic Army compatible. Since I am not the retailer I can not confirm or deny whether or not the gear is compatible. Your best bet would be contact the retailer and ask them for sure. In the end if you purchase the gear and it is not compatible then you can contact the store you bought it from and give them shit for being dirty liars and demand a refund.

Do you have any more what ifs I can attempt to answer for you?

What if the retailer is out of stock on the gear I want?
- Find another retailer
What if it doesnt fit?
-Send it back for a refund
What if they dont take it back?
-Im sure you will be able to work something out
What if my mechbox explodes and I die?
-You should probably learn to shim better.
What if my new spur gear causes my hair to go green?
-Buy some purple pants and matching jacket and pretend youre the joker
What if I discover I enjoy anal stimulation?
- Its all apart of growing up
__________________


"Its only a little bit on fire"

Last edited by TokyoSeven; April 13th, 2010 at 23:29..
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 23:41   #25
turok_t
 
turok_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So ive been doing alot of research about gears and ratio on / off ASC. To my understanding, the higher the ratio, the more revolutions the bevel gear spins in order to make the sector gear complete 1 revolution. So for example, a 72:1 bevel gear will have to spin twice as much as a 36:1 bevel gear in order to produce 1 revolution of the sector gear.

So shouldn't the 36:1 gear have HIGHER torque than the 72:1, because it is able to produce more power? I just wanted to verify this to make sure I understand. Please do not flame my ass
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:47   #26
chaosnemesis
 
chaosnemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
umm. no.. think of it like your bicycle going up hill. On the easiest gear you'd have to pedal (bevel) 72 times to make the wheel(sector) turn once. You'll make it up the hill, albeit very slow, but you'll make it. On the hardest gear( we'll say it's 2:1) you won't even be able to start the climb.

Why you ask??? You are the motor, and you only produce a constant 1/3 horse power. So everytime(on easy gear) you cycle once, you're putting one full cycle of power on 1/72 nd of the sector wich means you were putting in 72 times 1/3hp per sector cycle. Lots and lots of torque. That's why your were able to make it up the hill.

On the hardest gear all your power is spread over 1/2 of the sector. so only 2 times 1/3hp. Very low torque but very very fast sector rpm.
chaosnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 14:27   #27
turok_t
 
turok_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosnemesis View Post
umm. no.. think of it like your bicycle going up hill. On the easiest gear you'd have to pedal (bevel) 72 times to make the wheel(sector) turn once. You'll make it up the hill, albeit very slow, but you'll make it. On the hardest gear( we'll say it's 2:1) you won't even be able to start the climb.

Why you ask??? You are the motor, and you only produce a constant 1/3 horse power. So everytime(on easy gear) you cycle once, you're putting one full cycle of power on 1/72 nd of the sector wich means you were putting in 72 times 1/3hp per sector cycle. Lots and lots of torque. That's why your were able to make it up the hill.

On the hardest gear all your power is spread over 1/2 of the sector. so only 2 times 1/3hp. Very low torque but very very fast sector rpm.
Thanks for your reply! I finally get it now after doing some research online regarding the physics and dyanamics of gear mechanics. Anyways, what is the usual gear ratio range in airsoft? In other words, what is the highest (max torque) and lowest (highest speed) gear ratios in airsoft?
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 14:37   #28
m102404
Tys
 
m102404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Go to airsoftmechanics.com and read up on gear ratios there. RiotSC has written up whole articles on gear ratios, calculations on theoretical ROF and even designed a dual sector gear (shoots twice with each rotation...neat).

Another way to look at it is that the Modify High Torque gear set has a ratio of 21.6:1 and their High Speed gear set a ratio of 16.32:1. A "normal" ratio is somewhere inbetween there.

Another way to find out more is to read some of the stickied upgrade guides on this site. There's talk about the different gear sets...more general stuff vs. specific numbers.

A point to note is that unless you're going to get into the math of it (and I haven't seen that on this site...try airsoftmechanics), it's not worth locking into a specific set of numbers.

Do some more searching yourself...the info is right there in front of you.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 16:34   #29
turok_t
 
turok_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Go to airsoftmechanics.com and read up on gear ratios there. RiotSC has written up whole articles on gear ratios, calculations on theoretical ROF and even designed a dual sector gear (shoots twice with each rotation...neat).

Another way to look at it is that the Modify High Torque gear set has a ratio of 21.6:1 and their High Speed gear set a ratio of 16.32:1. A "normal" ratio is somewhere inbetween there.

Another way to find out more is to read some of the stickied upgrade guides on this site. There's talk about the different gear sets...more general stuff vs. specific numbers.

A point to note is that unless you're going to get into the math of it (and I haven't seen that on this site...try airsoftmechanics), it's not worth locking into a specific set of numbers.



Do some more searching yourself...the info is right there in front of you.
Yes I did the researching already. I already read through that article on airsoft mechanics yesterday and how they derived these formulas to caculate using your motor's RPM and ratio.. pretty neat
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 23:22   #30
turok_t
 
turok_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ahh, so i just installed my new G&P gears and everything worked fine! It was my first time opening up and tweaking my CA mechbox and it wasn't as hard as I thought. I just followed mechbox.com and some other videos as well.

Anyways, I have a Prometheus 6.03 inner barrel with G&P hop up. I realized that if I dont put the hop up on, it shoots fine. But if i turn on the hop up, the bb's start to dribble out of the gun, showing that there are probably 2 bb's in the barrel and the one that is fired is sitting in front of the next bb in the chamber. Anyways, how do i turn on the hop up so its enough to hold the bb in place, but not cause it to get stuck?
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.