Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Question from a concerned player.

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:36   #16
Belaslav
 
Belaslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaslav View Post
Eg. For instance, if one of the kids modifies their shooter to fire at 500+ FPS, he will be in a world of shit if discovered, since by law anything firing at that velocity may be considered a firearm.
Sorry if this is offtopic, but I don't see your point.
Belaslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:39   #17
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaslav View Post
?

Please explain.
EDIT: Someone pointed out a mistake in my logic, I really didn't need a "biconditional" only "IF". Sorry, it was morning and I wasn't thinking clearly.

Ie. Mathematically you need to have P AND Q => Illegal this means 500 FPS AND 5.7J of impact force is illegal. Taking the opposite of that (DeMorgan's Law) ~P OR ~Q => Legal. This means if it shoots 500 FPS on a .20g BB it won't have nearly the amount of impact force to be a controlled firearm). (It still might need to be XOR though).

A whiffle ball going at 500 FPS (even though I don't think that's physically possible) isn't the same as a pellet gun going at 500 FPS because the impact force and energy transferred is too low on the whiffle ball.

Really what we in airsoft should be saying is that field limits are X Joules but then people would have to do some math-fu to figure out what they're shooting at. It's much easier to lock one variable (weight of BB) at chrono and then figure out the speed after that.

PS: I'm almost sure that there's something else wrong in my mathematical logic here but I just can't see it but I hope you get the idea.
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE

Last edited by L473ncy; March 17th, 2010 at 16:36..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:41   #18
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaslav View Post
Sorry if this is offtopic, but I don't see the point.
Controlled firearm is defined by upper limits on muzzle energy (500fps) and muzzle velocity (5.7J), both has be exceeded for a barrelled projectile weapon to be a controlled firearm.

For a 0.20g airsoft BB to exceed 5.7J would require a muzzle velocity nearly 800fps. Basically, not going to happen with 99.9% of airsoft guns available in Canada. Kids are far more likely to shoot controlled firearms in the form of pellet guns at each other.

It is not illegal for kids to play airsoft, provided it is done in a regulated setting (i.e. paintball field) and with full parental consent. Whether that's a good idea is a matter for the parents to decide.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:55   #19
Belaslav
 
Belaslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Let me explain in more detail. If I (for example) modify a spring airsoft rifle to fire at ~700 FPS, as long as it doesn't exceed 5.7J, it won't legally be considered a firearm, but it may give a reason for confiscation/testing in case someone gets a bleeding wound, wouldn't it? He will probably get it back, but still you'd probably want to avoid situations such as this as much as possible.

Last edited by Belaslav; March 17th, 2010 at 11:58..
Belaslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:03   #20
Drake
E-01
 
Drake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal, QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaslav View Post
Let me explain in more detail. If I (for example) modify a spring airsoft rifle to fire at ~700 FPS, as long as it doesn't exceed 5.7J, it won't legally be considered a firearm, but it may give a reason for confiscation/testing in case someone gets a bleeding wound, wouldn't it? He will probably get it back, but still you'd probably want to avoid situations such as this as much as possible.
You can get a bleeding wound from sub-500fps gun.

Seriously, you've been spoon fed an explanation by several people, stop posting about his now; it's not what the thread is about.
__________________
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 17:58   #21
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
But....we DON'T restrict airsoft to 18+
We recommend that people be 18+ to come play on fields, and purchase their own guns, but parents can buy their 16yr an AEG and come play airsoft WITH them.
Xtreme Tactics in Winnipeg let's 16yr olds play as long as they have a signed waiver from their parents.
The business is responsible for itself, and the parent is responsible for what their kid does with their airsoft gun.
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.