Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Question about Battery and charger

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:02   #1
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
Question about Battery and charger

I am planning to get a 11.1v Lipo battery and a smart charger.

1. Are all 8.4v, 9.6v, 10.xv and 11.1v batteries use the same connector?
2. What is the name of the connector?
3. Are all smart charger able to charge both Lipo and Intellect types batteries?
4. Are all batteries has the same size and shape?
5. What's the differences between standard Lipo 11.1v and mini Lipo 11.1v
6. Should I pay attention to the mah of each battery? Or All batteries of the same voltage would have the exact same mah?
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:15   #2
m102404
Tys
 
m102404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posting in the Newbie tank comes with the expectation that you have searched for answers already, read through the various FAQs and done some reading already. You may need to go to different sections of the forums to find the FAQ that best fits your question.

There are at least 2 very, very good battery write ups on this forum already.

1. No
2. There are mini Tamiya, large Tamiya, DEANs, mini DEANs and RC type connectors
3. No. Read the specs for the charger.
4. No.
5. most likely the mini is smaller
6. Yes. No.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:22   #3
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *
 
Shooting Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by zollen View Post
I am planning to get a 11.1v Lipo battery and a smart charger.

1. Are all 8.4v, 9.6v, 10.xv and 11.1v batteries use the same connector?
2. What is the name of the connector?
3. Are all smart charger able to charge both Lipo and Intellect types batteries?
4. Are all batteries has the same size and shape?
5. What's the differences between standard Lipo 11.1v and mini Lipo 11.1v
6. Should I pay attention to the mah of each battery? Or All batteries of the same voltage would have the exact same mah?
1. No some use deans and some use mini tynima connecters
2. Read answer 1
3. Some chargers can do all types of batteries but some are limited to just lipos or nimh and nicd batteries, a good charger will run you 50-150$.
4. No it depends on the batteries mah size the bigger mah the longer they last the bigger they are in physical size.
5. The only difference is that the larger battery will have a higher mah rating and will be able to power you gun for longer.
6. A battery with a higher mah rating last longer then a bat with a lower mah And all batterys of the same voltage will NOT have the same mah rating.

Are you sure you want to use a lipo? In a sence all guns are lipo ready but their is a diffeence between lasting one shot and 10000, most guns require upgrades before they can safely use lipo batterys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 19:12   #4
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
This is the spec of my new KWA M4 S System.

Power = 8.4V, 9.6V NiMh Battery, or 7.4V, 11.1V Lithium Polymer or Lithium Manganese Battery [Maximum 11.1 V, 20A continuous]

I have not decided what batteries I am getting. May be I just stick with the 10v intellect type batteries.

Would anyone able to tell me the following:
1. Size of the battery required
2. Type of the connector required

Would anyone kind enough to direct me to any links of compatible batteries for this rifle?
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 19:27   #5
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
You really don't need anything more than 8.4v or 9.6v in a large type battery.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 19:32   #6
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
I am completely new to Airsoft. Would anyone direct me to any links of decent compatible batteries for this rifle? I guess I need some solid examples.
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 20:00   #7
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
I sell some batteries, PM-ed.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 20:53   #8
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
This is the spec of my new KWA M4 S System.

Power = 8.4V, 9.6V NiMh Battery, or 7.4V, 11.1V Lithium Polymer or Lithium Manganese Battery [Maximum 11.1 V, 20A continuous]

Would anyone kind enough to direct me to any links of compatible batteries for this rifle?
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:10   #9
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
You really don't need anything more than 8.4v or 9.6v in a large type battery.

The KWA M4 S System have an internal battery compartment inside the rail system. I need to make sure the battery fit in the compartment. The problem is that I am waiting for the arrival of my new gun but it has only 48 hours return policy for returning a defect product. This is why I would like to get a battery before my gun arrives, so I can test the rifle upon arrival.

I am hoping some airsoft guru or someone who is currently owning this gun would be able to point me to the right direction.

Last edited by zollen; March 16th, 2010 at 21:14..
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:11   #10
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
If your new, stick to NiMH, There's a LOT of research you have to do before even considering using a LiPo battery. They require higher maintenance than NiMH due to the fact they can be quite dangerous.
And although some manufacturers state their guns are "LiPo ready", it's a blatant lie. If a gun doesn't have a fuse, it's NOT LiPo ready. And you still have to choose a battery with an appropriate constant drain rating (the C rating)

Give these two threads a read through, it should be everything you need to know about LiPo!
http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com...teries-part-1/

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=99899
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:16   #11
MADDOG
 
MADDOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Aurora/Ontario
Madbull LifePO

These are great, LifePO , I am loving them so far.
Bullet proof, fast, will stop discharging without issues compared to Lipo and minimal danger in the odd event you do something stupid to your battery.

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1532

You need their Madbull specific charger though, the charge connection is proprietary and the connector is a small taimya type same as a stock setup on KWA I believe

MD
__________________
WOLFPACK U-96

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:18   #12
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
Great!! Thanks for the info. According to some online reviews, this rifle does have internal fuse. However you are right about LiPo could be dangerous in the hands of a newbie. I think I will stick with standard NiMN battery.

Are all 9.6v NiMN batteries have the same size, same mah and same connector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
If your new, stick to NiMH, There's a LOT of research you have to do before even considering using a LiPo battery. They require higher maintenance than NiMH due to the fact they can be quite dangerous.
And although some manufacturers state their guns are "LiPo ready", it's a blatant lie. If a gun doesn't have a fuse, it's NOT LiPo ready. And you still have to choose a battery with an appropriate constant drain rating (the C rating)

Give these two threads a read through, it should be everything you need to know about LiPo!
http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com...teries-part-1/

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=99899
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:27   #13
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *
 
Shooting Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by zollen View Post
Great!! Thanks for the info. According to some online reviews, this rifle does have internal fuse. However you are right about LiPo could be dangerous in the hands of a newbie. I think I will stick with standard NiMN battery.

Are all 9.6v NiMN batteries have the same size, same mah and same connector?
No mah and connecters will vary from each battery.

Quote:
If a gun doesn't have a fuse, it's NOT LiPo ready.
Are you sure lipos need a fuse because i've been using my gun with a lipo for a while and i don't have a fuse.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:34   #14
zollen
 
zollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to zollen
According to the article, LiPo battery is no more dangerous than standard NiMH or NiCad batteries. It requires the same level of maintenance than any other battery types. The article does suggest the use of a balancer and a good charger with indicators, would greatly improve the qualities of the charging. The only drawback is that in the event of over charging beyond the LiPo tolerant level, LiPo batteries could ignite violently.

Thanks for the article. It really helps me understand Lipo batteries



Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
If your new, stick to NiMH, There's a LOT of research you have to do before even considering using a LiPo battery. They require higher maintenance than NiMH due to the fact they can be quite dangerous.
And although some manufacturers state their guns are "LiPo ready", it's a blatant lie. If a gun doesn't have a fuse, it's NOT LiPo ready. And you still have to choose a battery with an appropriate constant drain rating (the C rating)

Give these two threads a read through, it should be everything you need to know about LiPo!
http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com...teries-part-1/

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=99899

Last edited by zollen; March 16th, 2010 at 21:40..
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 21:37   #15
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *
 
Shooting Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by zollen View Post
According to the article, LiPo battery is no more dangerous than standard NiMH or NiCad batteries. It requires the same level of maintenance than any other battery types. The article does suggest the use of a balancer and a good charger with indicators, would greatly improve the qualities of the charging.

Now I am thinking of 11.1v Lipo again...
No if the lipo isn't maintained and charge properly it could EXPLODE consuming your house in flame, no joke it happened to some RCer guy in the states.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.