Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

WE M4/M416 Slide catch

:

Doctor's Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2012, 20:39   #1
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
WE M4/M416 Slide catch

First of all, I'd like to apologize if my parts vocabulary is a bit off. Transferring my knowledge from Paintball to Airsoft has me making silly name mistakes, so bare with me!

Anyways, I have the WE M416 (I'll just say M4 because I'm lazy) which is open bolt. ***The little slide on the mag is set to the slide lock position*** however, the slide only locks back - obviously when the mag is empty - but only when you push hard on the bottom of the mag. If their is no upward pressure on the mag, the bolt will travel back and fourth whilst dry firing.

Is this a problem with the mag or the slide release? If so, where can I get parts?

The gun is brand new by the way. Only opened and shot as of today.

Thanks in advance for your inquiries.
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 20:46   #2
XZIVR
 
XZIVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Same thing happened on my g36.. In that case what I had to do was take the mag apart (also brand new) and stretch the spring a bit. Turned out it was slightly too weak to actually engage the lock. Try that if you havent already.
XZIVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 20:48   #3
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZIVR View Post
Same thing happened on my g36.. In that case what I had to do was take the mag apart (also brand new) and stretch the spring a bit. Turned out it was slightly too weak to actually engage the lock. Try that if you havent already.
It's a slow night at work so I'm on it lol. I'll report back soon. Thanks for your help bud!
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 21:01   #4
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
Unfortunately that didn't change anything...just entertained me for 15 min lol. That's a tough spring to play with! Haha!
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 21:44   #5
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy
 
MaybeStopCalling's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showpos...5&postcount=12
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:54   #6
djKail
 
djKail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
I believe the bolt catch in the 416 is similar to the Scar. Basically I had this issue on all 5 of my magazines with my WE Scar. The bolt would only lock back if there was force applied to the bottom of the magazine, or if the weapon was tips 90 degrees on its side.

I fixed this by adding a thin layer of JB weld on the bolt catch where it makes contact with the bolt lock switch on the magazine. At first I added a little too much but I just sanded it down. it works perfectly for me.
djKail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 22:51   #7
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
Quote:
Originally Posted by djKail View Post
I believe the bolt catch in the 416 is similar to the Scar. Basically I had this issue on all 5 of my magazines with my WE Scar. The bolt would only lock back if there was force applied to the bottom of the magazine, or if the weapon was tips 90 degrees on its side.

I fixed this by adding a thin layer of JB weld on the bolt catch where it makes contact with the bolt lock switch on the magazine. At first I added a little too much but I just sanded it down. it works perfectly for me.
Okay thank you Just curious, does this JB Weld wear off quick?
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 00:31   #8
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman
 
Shirley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Did anyone catch the title?

Slide catch? Really?
__________________

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 00:57   #9
Huron
GabeGuitarded
 
Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
AEG shim method works great for me. Only put ten rounds in my mag so the gas pressure would be high when it ran out of BB's and it locked back no problem (on CO2, 15-20 degree weather, so the bolt was flying nice and quick lol).
__________________
Quote:
The war between the sexes is over. We won the second women started doing pole dancing for exercise.
Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:49   #10
-=ArchAngel=-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
Did anyone catch the title?

Slide catch? Really?
read the op. He already apologized for not making the right term.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 19:55   #11
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
AEG shim method works great for me. Only put ten rounds in my mag so the gas pressure would be high when it ran out of BB's and it locked back no problem (on CO2, 15-20 degree weather, so the bolt was flying nice and quick lol).
Could you potentially elaborate on this "AEG shim method"? I read the link Green Synergy posted but where exactly do I put these shims? If it's in the buffer tube I can't really see how that will change the way the catch works...then again I'm pretty new to teching on airsoft equipment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
read the op. He already apologized for not making the right term.
Thank you I don't mean any harm whatsoever to anyone, just curious how to get this gun fixed.
__________________
Guns:
WE M416
Tokyo Marui G18C

Got gas? I know I do!

Last edited by FeaR Da Allstar; March 20th, 2012 at 20:02..
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:28   #12
djKail
 
djKail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaR Da Allstar View Post
Okay thank you Just curious, does this JB Weld wear off quick?
Well, the only part you add JB weld, is the part of the catch that comes into contact with the switch on the magazine. This is not harsh contact and does not cause the JB weld to wear off. Once you get the right amount on and let it harden for 24 hours (note that you can sand off access JB weld if you added to much) then you will never have to do anything to it again.
djKail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:38   #13
GRIM
PMC84X - AV Status Revoked.
 
GRIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
I have the same issue... can you take a picture of where to add the JB Weld. Thanks.
GRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 16:07   #14
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
Quote:
Originally Posted by djKail View Post
Well, the only part you add JB weld, is the part of the catch that comes into contact with the switch on the magazine. This is not harsh contact and does not cause the JB weld to wear off. Once you get the right amount on and let it harden for 24 hours (note that you can sand off access JB weld if you added to much) then you will never have to do anything to it again.
Okay, thank you very much (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC84X View Post
I have the same issue... can you take a picture of where to add the JB Weld. Thanks.
Just add the JB weld to the bolt catch in the actual chamber. The part where the point on the mag (don't troll me for that technical explanation) sticks up from the slide comes in contact with.
__________________
Guns:
WE M416
Tokyo Marui G18C

Got gas? I know I do!
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 18:23   #15
FeaR Da Allstar
 
FeaR Da Allstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newfieland
Alright, I wasn't able to find JB Weld in my place however my dad patched a little hole on your boat last year using "QuikAluminum"...some sort of Aluminum-reinforced epoxy. It takes about 60min to fully harden to we'll see how this works. I just really hope it doesn't fall off the metal catch!

Fingers are crossed...
__________________
Guns:
WE M416
Tokyo Marui G18C

Got gas? I know I do!
FeaR Da Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 15:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.