Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

I want to bring my rifle from the UK with me to Canada...

:

Newbie Tank

Old May 16th, 2015, 20:41   #1
mj23lj

I want to bring my rifle from the UK with me to Canada...

Hi,

I have made the permanent move to Canada (Halifax, Nova Scotia) from the UK, and I would like to bring my spring bolt action rifle with me. I have read that you can't buy from outside of Canada, but is there no way I can bring this rifle with me?

I was thinking of breaking it up and sending half in the mail, and putting half in my suitcase for checked baggage.

I have read the rules and FAQ's about importing, but I felt this was a slightly different matter. And I would just sell it and buy again in Canada, but I don't think I could achieve my set up through Canadian retailers.

Thanks for any help, sorry if this kind of thread has been done before (just link me to an old one if that's the case),

mj23lj
mj23lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 20:56   #2
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

If your gun shoots over 366 FPS and under 500 FPS with 0.20g BBs you should be fine. Phone the CBSA info line to get more clarified info.
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:24   #3
mj23lj

Great info. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old May 17th, 2015, 09:25   #4
hollywood...
cranky old man

declare it and at worst it gets siezed, try and smuggle it in and you might not like your "Time" in Canada
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:59   #5
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Yeah, it will get in easily if you declare it and the internet says it shoots between 366 and 500fps. Will be way easier if you have the original box and or owners manual or if the rifle has some trades sayin the model and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 14:09   #6
mj23lj

Thanks again guys. Great info again...

I tried calling the CBSA, but the department I needed didn't seem to be available this weekend (I'll try again tomorrow).

I've been looking on their website, and all I can find is that they are prohibited from importing. Does anyone know where I can find legislation or something on their website that I can print out and bring with me that states that 366fps-500fps is fine to import? That way I can just bring a printed out manual etc with me as well (maybe the original if I can find it).

Thanks once more, I'm feeling very relieved that I can bring my rifle with me!

Last edited by mj23lj; May 17th, 2015 at 14:37..
Old May 17th, 2015, 16:03   #7
StrikeNoir

Try calling them on tuesday. Tomorrow is Victoria Day, so the goverment will still be closed.
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:37   #8
mj23lj

Hi all,

I got an email back from the CBSA. What I've taken from the email; is that to an extent it will be down to the discretion of the border customs officer I deal with, and if I can convince him that my rifle does not truly resemble any real firearm by particular make and model, as well as providing evidence that the rifle fires under 500fps and above 366fps. Is that about right?

Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
It is the Canada Border Services Agency’s (CBSA) policy to effectively control the movement of firearms and weapons in order to ensure compliance by all importers with Canadian laws and regulations.

All firearms and weapons must be declared at the CBSA office when they enter Canada. Failure to do so could result in them being seized, and you may face criminal charges.

Prohibited devices (which include replica firearms) are listed in Tariff Item (TI) 9898.00.00 of the Customs Tariff. The importation of goods listed in TI 9898.00.00 is prohibited unless an exemption to that tariff item applies. According to the Criminal Code, replica firearms are defined as:

· “any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm."

Based on the above definition, it has been established by case law that many airsoft guns may meet the definition of a replica firearm for the purposes of the Criminal Code and the Customs Tariff and may not be imported into Canada.

In general:

· Airsoft guns, with a muzzle velocity of less than 111.6 m/s (366 fps) and resembling with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, other than an antique firearm, will be classified as a replica firearm.

· Airsoft guns, with a muzzle velocity above 111.6 m/s (366 fps), will be classified as firearms and therefore, by definition cannot be replica firearms.

· Those with a muzzle velocity of greater than 500fps and a muzzle energy over 5.7 Joules are controlled firearms and would be subject to licensing and registration requirements applicable to the appropriate class of firearm (non-restricted, restricted, prohibited).

Each importation of an airsoft gun will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis to determine whether it exactly resembles or resembles with near precision a real firearm of an identifiable make and model. If there is a determination that classifies an airsoft gun as a replica firearm, the onus will be on the importer to prove that the particular device does not meet the elements of a replica firearm. If an item is allowed into Canada, applicable duties and taxes will apply. The rate of duty depends on the item and country of origin.
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:01   #9
HGI

I saw this thread before the weekend and couldn't think of anything, but this morning I had this idea. What if one of our Canadian sponsors who actually have the rare importation of airsoft license has it shipped to them with proper paper work attached, prior to you moving, hold on to it and ship it back to you once you've landed.

I'd personally just sell it then remake it once in Canada to save the hassle even though it'd be nice to just bring yours and save the time and possibly the money as well(I have no idea what the value of airsoft in Europe vr Canada is). Just a bummer the world has to be this way in regards to a sport.
HGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:38   #10
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Most BA shoot over 400 FPS anyways, you are fine.

Just declare it, done deal.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:01   #11
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Yeah its not a replica. If it shoots over 366 but below 500 it is an uncontrolled firearm. Fine To import. Locked case and declared
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:10   #12
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

not sure where this 500 fps thing came from... Last time I read the memorandum it was 5.7J that is the upper limit between uncontrolled firearm vs controlled firearm.

5.7J would be something like 790~ fps with a .2

lower limit was 366 to be uncontrolled. below that is a replica which is a no go.
Old May 20th, 2015, 19:09   #13
mj23lj

Great! I feel much more confident about doing it now. Thanks guys!
Old May 20th, 2015, 23:30   #14
Hectic

The definition in the memorandum is wierd and the cbsa interperates it as above 366 below 500. They dont use the firearm definition of 500fps AND 5.7j even tho D19-13-2 says nothing about the 500fps upper limit other than talking about how even tho under 500 and 5.7 it could be an uncontrolled firearm, its just safer to stay within it. Once its in its not considered a firearm untill above 500 and 5.7j (783fps with .20)
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-13-2-eng.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
not sure where this 500 fps thing came from... Last time I read the memorandum it was 5.7J that is the upper limit between uncontrolled firearm vs controlled firearm.

5.7J would be something like 790~ fps with a .2

lower limit was 366 to be uncontrolled. below that is a replica which is a no go.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old May 22nd, 2015, 23:59   #15
eagle_dan

hey, mj23j,
I've done it. I took a SAW from Hong Kong with me. Like everybody says, make sure you declare it, both leaving your destination and arriving here, and in packed luggage.
To make things easier, have a local shop in UK put together a doc that says the fps using 0.2gBB, make and a picture of the airsoft in their company letter head. as long as it's shooting between 366fps and 500fps, you should be fine. also bring a copy of the CBSA Memororandom D19-13-2 pages 8-16, in case the officer isn't familiar with the allowance. One little thing that should help too, be humble and honest when you talk to the officer. It only took me an extra 15min to go thru the thing and they didn't even look at the packed airsoft. Good luck.
eagle_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank