boarder wars 3

:

General

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2009, 21:18   #46
Big Red

Disappointing

Well folks......

My sincere thanks to those within the Airsoft community that supported the BW series (those who signed up, paid up and attended BW 1&2 and for those who paid up and rallied hard for BW3.

Trust us,....those of us in Force Recon have worked very hard to plan BW3 this year including money already used to promote and obtain materials for this event as well as the significant time spent which is hard to quantify.

In order to bring a larger scale Milsim event - certain objectives and components in the planning stages well before the actual event needed to be addressed, secured etc.

At this stage and due to the hit we've taken (financially) I don't see another large scale event (BW Series) being hosted by Force Recon. We are working on building our team and enjoying smaller scale Canadian events. We will be active in the US as well.

Personally, I am disappointed and sorry (not so much for us but I think for the ASC community as a whole) that this event was cancelled.

This was the opportunity of a lifetime to play in such an eerie and cool place. The reality is I don't think an opportunity like this will materialize again and that is a sad day for Airsofters.

I look forward to seeing you on others fields of battle or training events.

Big Red
CWO - Force Recon
Planner - Operation Border Wars Series
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:51   #47
CamoGames

Hey guys, this is Al from Counterfeit Combat, Saskatchewan.

I must say after reading this I am quite shocked that this event didn't go forward after the succes it has had the last two years. Obviously the people behind this game are very good at what they do, and put together a great event.

Other then the Atlantic provinces, Saskatchewan has the smallest pop in Canada, but I still had 214 players at my Claybank event in May. I had players from Ontario, Manitoba, Sask of course, Alberta, and BC.

Maybe I was fortunate, maybe it was the location, but the location (from what I saw) that was being used for BWIII was outstanding as well.

In my opinion, it's events like these that will change the face of Airsoft for the better in our country.

This is quite surprising.

Operation Mason Relic Owner
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:51   #48
HGI

I was looking forward to the photos and videos
Old June 28th, 2009, 15:54   #49
FlyGuy

I too would have made it a priority this year except that I new well in advance that I could not make it so I did not sign-up. That said, the tragic failure to launch BW3 this year will be felt far and wide for a long long time.

In retrospect though, I wonder if the recent economic hardships played a significant role in player commitment. I know my budget is measurably tighter this year and I imagine there were many more out there like that. Perhaps the constant wallet squeezing just made it too difficult for a majority of folks to set aside not only the entrance fee; which by the way was more than reasonable given the scope of the event, but also the other not-so-insignificant related expenses such as travel, meals, accomodations, etc..

In the end, perhaps BW3 was exactly the right idea to invigorate our hobby, but unfortunately was also set to occur at precisely the wrong time economically-speaking...??

Once again, I grieve for not only the significant loss Krusty and his gang incurred planning and coordinating this event, but I also grieve for the huge loss this represents to airsoft in Canada. RIP Border Wars...

'Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
Old June 28th, 2009, 16:12   #50
Wilson

BW3 was supposed to be the one major event that I went to this year.

Anyone up for Rawdon in August?
Old June 28th, 2009, 17:56   #51
Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I too would have made it a priority this year except that I new well in advance that I could not make it so I did not sign-up. That said, the tragic failure to launch BW3 this year will be felt far and wide for a long long time.

In retrospect though, I wonder if the recent economic hardships played a significant role in player commitment. I know my budget is measurably tighter this year and I imagine there were many more out there like that. Perhaps the constant wallet squeezing just made it too difficult for a majority of folks to set aside not only the entrance fee; which by the way was more than reasonable given the scope of the event, but also the other not-so-insignificant related expenses such as travel, meals, accomodations, etc..

In the end, perhaps BW3 was exactly the right idea to invigorate our hobby, but unfortunately was also set to occur at precisely the wrong time economically-speaking...??

Once again, I grieve for not only the significant loss Krusty and his gang incurred planning and coordinating this event, but I also grieve for the huge loss this represents to airsoft in Canada. RIP Border Wars...

'Fly
Not so sure it was all due to financial climate. There were many people who signed up months in advance knowing the cost associated. That's why we posted the event well in advance and we went so far as to explain why the costs were higher than usual. There could be a number of reasons why people signed up then didn't pay.

Suffice to say that we're not planning any large milsim events in Canada as we took a financial hit in prepping the event but our bretheren in the States have asked us host one on the National Guard base next year.
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:56   #52
Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Suffice to say that we're not planning any large milsim events in Canada
Does that mean you're turning your backs on Canada?
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:36   #53
dutch13

if you're looking for an op august long
look into operation cold front at cfb rivers in manitoba
all i have to say is ridiculousness to the field
in a good way
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:48   #54
whisper_kill

I've hosted MANY small and large airsoft events over the last 5 years. Every time you run a game you assume the risk. From my years of experience I've learned that providing a pre-payment option is ineffective. Period. The economy, entry fee etc... has no bearing. Saying that, I will still offer pre-payment price reductions on my events and it will sit in escrow until the game, in the event I have to return it to the players.

A game of Border Wars' size (in terms of expense, not players) would be a very tenuous line to walk, right from the get go. Most games run without insurance and a useless piece of paper known as a waiver. Dangerous? Yes. Accepted? Yes. Cheaper to run? Most definitely.

If you want a Border Wars 'type' experience, a 2 - 3 hr drive from Toronto will take you to the Lewiston National Guard base at which they run a fantastic set of OPs every year. I suggest signing up with the Western New York Airsoft League and familiarize yourself with that group. They are good guys, with access to extremely affordable and authentic facilities. I personally attended OP: Northern Wind, and let me tell you... it is a very different airsoft experience, with switched on players, more vehicles than you can shake a stick at and new faces/terrain. Gun rentals are an option, ask Mike Haggerty for more information.

In our very own country, you have OP: Cold Front (mentioned above) at another truly unique and authentic facility. Admittedly, this one is a bit of a drive... but if you turn it into an extended road trip, you will have unforgettable airsoft action and rest assured, you will be taken care of by the Manitoba players!

Lastly, if you are looking at medium sized games, with honourable hard playing airsofters, look no further than Brian McIlmoyles FTF field. An amazing space in which to run virtually any type of scenario. If you haven't signed up for "the thirty", you will be missing out, and watch for another KillHaüs Entertainment OP in the fall.

The Big OP still exists, you just need to recce for it.
Old June 29th, 2009, 19:04   #55
Big Red

Not necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Does that mean you're turning your backs on Canada?
As far as planning a larger scale milsim events yes, however we plan on conducting smaller scale stuff here in Canada. The Western New York folks, as Whisperkill has said, are a great bunch of guys and with the assistance of the National Guard, we have access to better training facilities and mobile equipment. They were hungry for us to start a Border Wars series in the US anyway.

Our team still plans on attending Canadian events and enjoying the fun with our Canadian bretheren.

Whisperkill, if people don't opt for prepaid options for larger scale events in unique settings such as Picton, you assume too much liability and risk in hopes that people will "just show up". This is why we won't be planning similar types of events for awhile.....we took a nasty hit in securing the facility, promoting the event and the costs associated.

Thanks

Big Red
CWO - Force Recon
Planner - Border Wars Milsim Series
Old June 29th, 2009, 19:45   #56
Skump

very interested in getting a milsim event in this year. where can we get info for this new york op?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 20:10   #57
Wilson

Looks like I'll get to play with some of you guys after all!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General