Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Parts or just get full metal?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 17th, 2010, 20:59   #1
Brokenwings

Parts or just get full metal?

I want to convert my gun to full metal. it's an m4.

thing is i might want to get a different gun later on..

Do you guys think it would be cheaper/best just to buy a full metal gun or buy the metal parts then create it?
Brokenwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:23   #2
sewktbk

My suggestion would be : be patient.

Full metal guns are now legal in canada, so they are crossing the border bit by bit and getting approved as uncontrolled firearms. Which means, prices are gonna go down, my guess is substantially, over the next few weeks/months, since we wont have to rely on special orders to get them.

The thing is, restricted parts like full metal lower receivers will REMAIN prohibited. Long story short, This is because when these parts are not part of a gun, they are considered to be firearms because they can be modified to fire a live round (to summarize).

So basically, you will have affordable full metal guns, but full metal parts will still have to be purchased through special orders, which will mean still relatively expensive.

So i'd say be patient and buy a full metal gun a little later on wen prices have gone down.
sewktbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:25   #3
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

Yeah, I've heard prices are going to go down but still seeing metal bodies for 300 some odd friggin bucks.

That's $2 worth of tin cans.
If you were trying to insert a magazine into another magazine then I guess that would be indeed ghey. Inserting a magazine in a magwell seems rather hetero to me. The tape is merely metro, calling it ghey is rather absurd and makes it hard for the metro magazines to socialize with other magazines.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:25   #4
Brokenwings

Oh shit i completely forgot about that...lower receivers. damn. alright. thanks man
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:26   #5
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
It all depends what range of quality parts you want to use. Metal bodies tend to go for $150-$400, full internal upgrades for a clone would run you around $300-$500 for a drop in mechbox or full tune up kit, hopup, barrel and motor upgrades.

Depending on the route you choose either could be cheaper. Finding a good deal is good and all but dont cheap out too much and go for china ACM parts and a DBoys body or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:26   #6
Brokenwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
Yeah, I've heard prices are going to go down but still seeing metal bodies for 300 some odd friggin bucks.

guess you cant order those and ship em to canada eh.

unless form a canadian retailer i guess
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:27   #7
Brokenwings

i was thinking going CA or TM full metal. top brands i guess
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:31   #8
sewktbk

you should consider WE as well in the mix. they make good guns.
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:32   #9
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Depends how much you are willing to spend and how much you take resale value into account. And yeah, don't try to order a receiver.

Going with either a CA or TM would give you as good a chance of a wise purchase as the other. Depending on the model of gun you are looking at (such as the M4 series) I would personally recommend the CA as the M4 from TM is notorious for its shoddy design leading to numerous physical degradation and damaging of the body, whereas the CA has come a LONG way from its state of having to rely on its metal body as a selling point to counter the TM in the market.

So depending on what gun you're looking at, try to find some reviews online and make a decision which warrants your money more than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewktbk View Post
you should consider WE as well in the mix. they make good guns.
Hes looking for an AEG, not a gas gun. Given how new this person is I would advise he not venture into gas guns as they are money pits and would be better suited for someone with more experience especially with repairing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenwings View Post
good points. thanks. what about WE?
also, do full metal guns function perfectly fine with plastic mags? or could there be some troubles with them
There is no reason plastic would be an issue, but different manufacturers of mags may or may not be friendly with your setup. There are some brands that are known to just not work together (can't think of one off the top of my head at the moment) others are trial by fire. Get a hold of someone elses mags and see how they mingle and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.

Last edited by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw; June 17th, 2010 at 21:36..
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:32   #10
Brokenwings

WE stands for?

haven't seen many of them around :S any reason why?
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:34   #11
Brokenwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
Depends how much you are willing to spend and how much you take resale value into account. And yeah, don't try to order a receiver.

Going with either a CA or TM would give you as good a chance of a wise purchase as the other. Depending on the model of gun you are looking at (such as the M4 series) I would personally recommend the CA as the M4 from TM is notorious for its shoddy design leading to numerous physical degradation and damaging of the body, whereas the CA has come a LONG way from its state of having to rely on its metal body as a selling point to counter the TM in the market.

So depending on what gun you're looking at, try to find some reviews online and make a decision which warrants your money more than the other.
also, do full metal guns function perfectly fine with plastic mags? or could there be some troubles with them
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:36   #12
Twin#1[Op-for]

Quote:
Yes, metal guns use plastic mags fine. But if your going for full metal and willing to spend the cash, why not go for metal mags as well? More reliable and feel a lot better.
Twin#1[Op-for] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 21:44   #13
Brokenwings

i might save up in the long run over the summer a good 1000$. then ill check out the prices. might go for a different gun in the end. i fell in love with a scar blowback someone had XD
Old June 17th, 2010, 22:06   #14
sewktbk

common....really? WE is really known in airsoft.

i mean theres PLENTY of WE guns in the AV retailer sections, in the classifieds, and a lot of threads talking about em...i mean you couldnt avoid noticing them if you wanted to...

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/other-gun.../we/index.html
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/pistols-g.../we/index.html
http://www.airsoftpost.com/index.php...e8ea5bcff03243

could go on and on....

Quote:
WE stands for?

haven't seen many of them around :S any reason why?

Last edited by sewktbk; June 17th, 2010 at 22:09..
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:42   #15
Brokenwings

ive only been learning about EAG's, those are mostly pistols and blowbacks. so yeah to me they weren't well known lol. but i've looked more into a blowback scar and see many WE's in general on the blowback isle so yeah i guess it is pretty popular. thanks again guys
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank