Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How to overcome dominant eye problem (scopes/sights)?

:

Accessories Discussion

Old April 10th, 2008, 23:28   #16
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
As far I'm concerned it's purely mental training. Practice, find the best way to shoot your gun fast (as in rapid sight picture).
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 00:39   #17
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
As far I'm concerned it's purely mental training. Practice, find the best way to shoot your gun fast (as in rapid sight picture).
That's pretty close, your eyes are muscles after all. You can exercise and strengthen them.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 00:39   #18
stoo_ped

well... i consulted my optometrist frined.....the only way to"fix" this problem is to wear an eye patch over your dominant left eye for several months... the same way you fix a lazy eye. your left eye is dominant because the muscles in that eye are stronger. dont use your left eye for months and only using your right eye will strenghten your right eye and it MAY become dominant... but not for sure. so if you're willing to look like a pirate for the 50/50 chance of switching yoru dominant eye... well... that's up to you.... i suppose it's a question of how far you're willing to go for the sport eh?
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:48   #19
Danke

No downsides to looking like a Pirate, free grog, lots of wenches, maybe a boat ride or two in the meantime.

As a side note I shoot pistol in a modified Quell stance (2 eyes open pistol in right hand left eye on the sights) and rifle etc with a tradional right handed stance, scope and iron sights rifle with left eye closed and right eye on the sights, and red dot with right and right again but both eyes open.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:53   #20
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
Keep both eyes open while searching for a target. Once you spot one, most likely with your left eye, close it and fire with only your Right Eye. Once you hit 'em, open up the Left again and use it to scan.
Old April 11th, 2008, 16:05   #21
sigsour

Here's the thing, there is stuff on the net about right hand left eye problems - it's a problem that plague shooters of all sorts, including archers.

There are only 3 solutions recommended by professionals:
1) eye patch over left eye
2) quick target acquisition using both eyes, close left eye for precision aiming
3) shoot with the left hand

However, the recommendation on the net are for recreational shooters aiming mostly at static targets. In other words the targets aren't shooting back.

The reason why I ask this question here, is that the targets do shoot back so method 2 above may not work. It may - but I don't know, and was wondering if people have actually tried it in a rifle gunfight. Snipers don't count, as you're not shooting under as much pressure as someone in CQB. In CQB, I imagine that it would waste a few milliseconds closing your left eye before you could shoot. I know for me, and as others mentioned here - closing your left eye results in a little blurred vision in the right.

The only way I see out of this for me is option 3. However, it would be interesting to read the accounts of airsofters who have used method 2 successfully in non-sniper shooting.
Old April 11th, 2008, 21:35   #22
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
I do it all the time. I use both eyes when scanning, and when I see an enemy, I close my Left Eye so that I can center the Dot in my Reflex RDS properly, since I find it harder to do if both Eyes are open. But I've always dine it that way, so it may be an acquired skill. I've never found it to waste time because you're already aiming while closing your Left Eye, and by the time it's fully closed, you've already fired a few BBs, and less than a second passes during that full motion. Just experiment with different techniques out there and you'll find something that works for you eventually.
Old April 12th, 2008, 17:47   #23
Kos-Mos

I also have the right hand/left eye problem.

I found that I can "precision aim" using both eyes.

Just have to adjust the crosshair with both eyes open and all. Takes a while to master, but one you can do it, you get about 80% faster than any closed eye technique. In short, you concentrate on looking for targets, then simply pointing the gun at it will bring the crosshair in your field of view. (kinda hard to explain)

If I can do it with a 6x scope, I guess RDS will be a breeze.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion