Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Poor man's guide to silencing your KJW/Tanaka M700!

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 19th, 2007, 18:39   #1
takatorikku
UnVerified

Poor man's guide to silencing your KJW/Tanaka M700!

Since I'm currently broke arse and have no money for a silencer adaptor for my KJW M700 Police Model, I decided to make use of the parts from my currently defunct CA36K. The end result was great and effective, if not a little wierd looking at first. But hey, it cost me nothing at all (if you don't include the original purchasing of the parts involved) and it WORKS! Before my M700 was pretty quiet, making a fairly quiet *crack* but now it makes a barely noticely *phut*. I love it!

Here is the CA36K outer barrel being removed. I bet if I could get my hands on a G36C barrel, it'd be even nicer because it's shorter!

Now the end cap thing from the M700 is being removed.

Standing them up side by side. Note that they're just about the same diameter, which makes the G36 barrel fit very snugly. Too bad it's pretty long.

Inserting the G36 barrel takes no effort at all. Like I said, it's snug, and you just need to twist it around a bit to swallow the inner barrel, thus making an even tighter, non-wobbly inner barrel fit! My only concern is that it probably twists the inner barrel to the left again (something KJW M700s do...) but I've learned to compensate for it.

Here is the finished product. Not quite attractive, but form follows function. The screws for the front sight keep it from moving in and out, but it never did that anyways. Still, good insurance.

Here's a closer look with the suppressor attached.

End product!

I'm very happy to say that the difference in noise is incredible, and that out on an open field I doubt anyone would hear the gun's report. I'm sure I'll get some pretty wierd looks out on the field, but it's nothing I haven't gotten before haha.

Tak
Old January 19th, 2007, 18:44   #2
Carvs

Send a message via AIM to Carvs Send a message via MSN to Carvs
Im not a fan of silencers on sniper rifles unless they are semi-automatic, sounds weird but almost every semi looks nice with one. Getting back on topic although I dont like silencers, but you still did a nice job.
Carvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 19:05   #3
The Saint

Point of clarification, the CA36C has no additional outer barrel as one would find on the CA36K and CA36. The flashhider on the C screws directly onto the front barrel assembly.

http://www.airsplat.com/Manuals/ERA-CA-G36C-7.jpg
Old January 19th, 2007, 19:07   #4
takatorikku
UnVerified

damn that's a shame. oh well i'll figure something out. thanks G36 guru.
Old January 19th, 2007, 19:14   #5
The Saint

Your method should work just fine, as long as you don't need your G36K for anything. I don't think you need to worry about the G36K's outer barrel twisting your M700's inner barrel, (formely) my CA36's inner barrel sat reasonably loosely inside the outer barrel. Loose enough for me to shim it up.
Old January 19th, 2007, 19:31   #6
takatorikku
UnVerified

here are some shitty videos i recorded on my cellphone showing the difference in noise:

Without suppressor:

YouTube - M700 Suppression test 1

With suppressor:

YouTube - M700 Suppression test 2

you can't REALLY tell since they're awful quality, but trust me, there's a difference.
Old January 19th, 2007, 20:16   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
It'll be even quieter when you have a BB travelling down that barrel! Lol, the supressed video sounds louder than when a BB is shot. Depends on the way you set your gun up though, mine is very quiet without a supressor, largely depends on the way you set the striker spring tension (more gas, more noise/higher fps).

Pretty creative overall though.

BTW, why not remove that front sight base? I think I used a pair of #4-40 or #6-32set screws to hold the inner cap in place on mine, gives it a sleeker look to with and gets rid of that "Crosman quality". Don't remember, been over a year since I did mine.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 21:44   #8
BBS

Send a message via MSN to BBS
i like the set-up! btw how long is the gun with the silencer added on? all i'm afraid in adding silencers to Snipers is the extra length (=clumsier) and affecting it's accuracy.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 21:56   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
One thing I've wondered (based upon a team mate putting a big large diameter supressor on his KJW M700) is the accuracy. His went to shit, even just 100ft away. Some I know in the US have had decent accuracy well beyond that, obviously it's a supressor choice, some work well, others don't. Luck of the draw I guess until someone specifies exactly which ones are great, which ones suck. From what I can tell, as far as huge loss of accuracy, is that chances are high the expanding gas creates vorticies within the supressor that slightly alter the BB flight path just enough to make the BB float off course pretty early after the initial shot.

The M700 is dead quiet outside of 30-40ft, so adding a supressor (something I was keen on) really doesn't make a big differenece int eh way I see the M700. Great gun without one, but adding the cost (unless you have the parts and want to go for it) is pretty much useless. Main point being, you won't shoot anyone within hearing distance of one, only use for a supressor is if you shoot a guy a ways away, and his teammate is within 40-50ft of you, hearing the shot and making your BDUs white with hail. All IMHO of course!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 22:21   #10
takatorikku
UnVerified

hahaha good points Stalker. as far as accuracy goes, it's still pretty much the same for me, meaning slightly to the left like usual. i have noticed some shots going a bit farther left, but it's nothing i don't normally compensate for. i don't know what the proper scope terminology is, but my shots hit in the lower left quadrant of the scope, a little bit under the horizontal line. however, it's always been like that, i bet it would be better if i free float the barrel. maybe i'll try that next.

thanks for all the suggestions!
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:31   #11
SEALs

Send a message via ICQ to SEALs Send a message via AIM to SEALs Send a message via MSN to SEALs Send a message via Yahoo to SEALs
Thats my set up, its very silent in fact, the only thing you hear when the silencer is on is the mechanism of the rifle itself none one the firing sound at all, all it took was the king arms silencer wich already comes with foam and did a custon silencer adaptor since the G&G barrel dont have the removable end cap of the barrel.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/gallery...0013_84639.JPG

Father of fear, reckless and widowmaker

Last edited by SEALs; January 20th, 2007 at 03:34..
SEALs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 14:58   #12
takatorikku
UnVerified

ooooh nice, i especially like your paint!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications