Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

My first Airsoft...

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 13th, 2010, 03:40   #1
Detriix

My first Airsoft...

hey guys im fairly new to the site and whole airsoft concept.
ive been shopping around for my first airsoft and ive always been attracted to sniper rifles and sooo i came upon a site "airsplat"

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-WELL-MB05-C2.htm

^thats the one

i have a few questions.

will this get seized at customs? if yes

where could i get one in country for around that same price

thanks in advance
Detriix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:51   #2
Schoolboy

[quote=Detriix;1331443]hey guys im fairly new to the site and whole airsoft concept.
ive been shopping around for my first airsoft and ive always been attracted to sniper rifles and sooo i came upon a site "airsplat"

^thats the one

i have a few questions.

will this get seized at customs? if yes Yes it will get seized.

where could i get one in country for around that same price no you wont get it at the same price, its 2X as much here in canada Example https://www.buyairsoft.ca/ultimate-b...rifle-tan.html

A small pointer start with an AEG, sniper are generally a bad idea for new guys. if your 18 get Av'd and look on the sale forms.

Last edited by Schoolboy; October 13th, 2010 at 03:56..
Schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:32   #3
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

What to expect in Canada is in the link in my sig

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:15   #4
L473ncy

Why not to get a sniper rifle as a first gun.

As for a preview of prices see surebets sig, he spent a lot of time on that.

I would personally suggest something like an M16 or M14 and turning that into a DMR platform then eventually locking it to single shot with delay (via MOSFET) if you really want to become a "sniper". Be warned though that path is really capital intensive and you're looking at $1200 in order to get a gameable sniper platform. Or you could go stock with maybe a few consistency upgrades and just be really really super sneaky.
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:48   #5
Statua

Send a message via MSN to Statua Send a message via Skype™ to Statua
Actually price can vary. The aftermath kraken is 220 in the states and 200 at cabellas.
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:06   #6
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statua View Post
Actually price can vary. The aftermath kraken is 220 in the states and 200 at cabellas.
we're talking about decent starting platforms that are not prone to being POS right out of the box.

get verified and check the retailers/classifieds here.

non av'd noobs leading non av'd noobs..... always interesting
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:19   #7
BrendanL

^ Excuse me? I am using a kraken that has been around for 2 years and still works great, I shoot plenty of people out who use $500 plus guns. Just because someone has a kraken doesn't mean they know nothing, it just means they don't have the coin to buy an expensive AEG. Its funny how often I hear shit talking about krakens, but some of them work great.
BrendanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:40   #8
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanL View Post
^ Excuse me? I am using a kraken that has been around for 2 years and still works great, I shoot plenty of people out who use $500 plus guns. Just because someone has a kraken doesn't mean they know nothing, it just means they don't have the coin to buy an expensive AEG. Its funny how often I hear shit talking about krakens, but some of them work great.
i said prone to be, i've heard some being made with magical pixie dust, and others with cow shit. it depends on your luck.
with that kind of unreliability, its why i suggest a different gun.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:40   #9
Strelok

Quote:
Its funny how often I hear shit talking about krakens, but >>>some<<< of them work great.
Yeah.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:40   #10
Disco_Dante

Quote:
but some of them work great.
And some are a POS right out of the box, like RITZ said.

I used a metal bodied kraken at border wars 2 for most of the day, and it was great! I've also fired 200 rounds through a brand new one and had the thing fizzle out.

Edit: Well played Strelok!

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:48   #11
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Its the never ending debate of cost vs quality vs user competency vs lemon rate vs upgrading learning platform vs unicorns vs supporting a crappy company vs Bob Saget vs Robert Goulet vs performance for cost effectiveness.

The bottom line is that the kraken is:

Fairly inexpensive compared to other airsoft guns available in Canada
Performs modestly for the purpose it is intended for
Can be upgraded / repaired with most existing standard parts
Can be a lemon out of the box
May not be the most esthetically pleasing AEG on the market but you do get what you pay for

In my personal opinion the money could be better spent on something else but my final judgment on the kraken AK is that it works for its cost. If you just wants something that can fire BBs than yes it should suit your needs for that requirement. If your expectations are low, then it may surprise you, if your expectations are high than you may be surprised as well.

Purchasing a kraken is a lot like getting falling down drunk and then going home with a random at the end of the night. You'll never know what you truly got till you wake up the next day. In some instances you may enjoy you have, in other instances you may feel like you need to soak your entire body in a bath of Purrel....

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:57   #12
shiftsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detriix View Post
hey guys im fairly new to the site and whole airsoft concept.

^thats the one

i have a few questions.

will this get seized at customs? if yes

where could i get one in country for around that same price

thanks in advance
It'll get seized if you order one from the vendor in your link.

However, there are similar bolt action spring airsoft "sniper" rifles available in Canada at the lower price point you are looking for. These are of the infamous ACM variety and come without a scope and bipod.

Google is your friend.

The only caveat I have for you is that it could very well be a disappointing purchase.

As far as the Kraken goes they are fine but have their issues not unlike any other airsoft gun.

I have had 2 King Arms AEGs and a VFC AEG in my possession the last 12 months that were BNIB lemons.

Anyways, it's not my problem. Enjoy your overpriced shaving acessories.

Last edited by shiftsup; October 13th, 2010 at 12:00..
shiftsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 13:38   #13
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Quote:
No one is saying that krakens and the like never work out, it's just they they have a much higher lemon rate and general sub-standard parts.

I could probably get plenty of hits using a blowgun.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 13:52   #14
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by surebet View Post
No one is saying that krakens and the like never work out, it's just they they have a much higher lemon rate and general sub-standard parts.

I could probably get plenty of hits using a blowgun.
Except blowguns are prohibited weapons!!
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 14:01   #15
Crunchmeister

Krakens are hit or miss. You never know what you're going to get. You may get a gun that fires reliably out of the package, or a lemon that won't last past the first mag.

That being said, I generally don't recommend a Kraken for a first gun to any noob that knows nothing about airsoft. Even the "good" ones aren't that great. Hopups are usually shit, accuracy mediocre, and consistency rather poor. I would strongly recommend a noob get a decent quality starter gun - JG, G&G or some other comparatively priced gun. They are generally much better built and more reliable all around. And their performance out of the box is pretty decent compared to anything by Aftermath.

To someone that knows how to mod / repair airsoft guns, for a few bucks and a couple of hours, a Kraken can be turned into a pretty reliable backup / loaner gun that shoots straight and consistently. It will still look butt-ugly, but in terms of performing the function of throwing BBs downrange and actually hitting the intended target, then it fill that role quite nicely.

Where I do strongly recommend a Kraken is when someone is looking for an upgrade platform to build a custom gun. It's basically a 3-D instruction manual that will have all the small parts, screws, etc that are otherwise impossible to buy. You can buy a Kraken, upgrade to a metal body, wood kit (or tactical furniture), upgrade the internals and have an excellent wood / metal gun that will outperform any stock all plastic AK (such as TM), at about the same price. So for a D-I-Y AK upgrade project, it's the perfect gun,

However, with the recent proliferation of affordable Real Sword Type 56 - the best airsoft AK on the market - this is now moot, as a brand new steel / wood Type 56 can be bought for the same price as a stock TM. It doesn't get any better than real-steel grade externals. So it makes the Kraken upgrade project as useful as adult female groupies at a Michael Jackson concert.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank