Airsoft Sniper

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 4th, 2009, 12:31   #1
King Cobra

Send a message via MSN to King Cobra
Airsoft Sniper

Hey Guys,

I'm coming over to Airsoft from Paintball, I've been keeping my eye on Airsoft latley and they have a more wide range of gun's that look more realistic as I play Military Simulation. I'm 14 years old, So yes, My parent's are obviously buying the gun for me and are allowing me to. I played as a Sniper in Paintball, What Airsoft Sniper rifle would you suggest?

Sincerely,

Jake,
King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:34   #2
KND
* AV revoked *

I would suggest you wait until 18 year old first because we never let 14 years old kids playing as a sniper in airsoft. You must be a least 18 years old and has experience in game to carry hot gun, ( high fps gun ) otherwise you will just stick with regular assault rifle like AK and AR.

I don't think, there are any field in Canada that allow 14 years old playing airsoft plus you can't get any rifle as well within your age.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:35   #3
Mr.Shiney

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Shiney
You might find that due to your age, that finding a location to play at might be difficult. As some event organizers may only allow Age Verified players. Moreover joining a team would be difficult for the same reason. So you might want to stick to paintball for now, and wait a couple of years.

Juctim Omnimodo

Michael
Mr.Shiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:44   #4
Ktown Militia

First of all, good call on converting over to airsoft!! Second, like stated above you will have a 99.9% chance of NOT playing at any fields in canada. Most of us here dont even condone the use of airsoft under the age of 18.

So, welcome to the site, there is tons and I meas TONS of info on here. Do a little research, and get to know some of the people and maybe by the time you are 16 you could maybe play at a local field.

cheers

EDIT: on a side note, dont get a sniper rifle as a starter. Go for an assault rifle or submachine (ie. MP5)

good luck
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:47   #5
King Cobra

Awh Guess I have to wait. My parent's would be buying all the equipment for me..... But I guess not having a field to play on would suck :P
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:48   #6
KND
* AV revoked *

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cobra View Post
Awh Guess I have to wait.
Glad that you pick up that route. Be back here in next 4 years, I will be here waiting for ya.

I just wonder what do you mean by all equipment ?

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:51   #7
Ktown Militia

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cobra View Post
Awh Guess I have to wait. My parent's would be buying all the equipment for me..... But I guess not having a field to play on would suck :P
you are totally right brotha, having the gear but nowhere to play is just painful. Wait it out and you will be way ahead of most of the underage noobs that cant understand why the way things are in airsoft canada.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:52   #8
Donster

a sniper rifle for a first choice is a poor one! you will be outgunned. airsoft is a lot like paintball in that the bb wont always go where you aim it. You're best bet if you want to "snipe" is to get a DM rifle, such as an M14, M16/SPR etc etc. In this way, you can still snipe, get used to the physics and play style of airsoft, and not be outgunned as you can do semi and auto fire. Plus, with the guns that i just mentioned, you will be plenty accurate. i ran an entire year with a stock M14 and it was great. i just upgraded it, so we shall see how it all turns out. but ya, other than that, WAIT! that being said, DM isn't for everyone! the M14 is heavy and cumbersome. i dont mind it. i also stalk my prey and wait for them to pass me, and then i sneak up on them, sometimes within 15-20 feet and with NO ghillie. why? because i dont trust the ballistics of airsoft rifles enough. you have to learn to play and get the patience.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:54   #9
King Cobra

KDN. I'm really into Military Simulation so.... Like, Rifle, Pistol and upgrade's that I would be making to the gun once I learn how to :P I already have a ghillie, but I need knew Uniform and stuff.. So that's what I mean by equipment :P But... Im gonna keep looking for a field hopefully I can find one that will allow me to play but if not, I guess ill just stick to paintball until then.

EDIT: Donster, Im not the kind of sniper that waits for people to pass by then shoot them :P I like hide in bushes... and scout out for my team and pick off enemies from a distance, dont want to get in the middle of a huge fire fight unless absolutley neccessary.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:55   #10
Ktown Militia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONSTER 125 View Post
i also stalk my prey and wait for them to pass me, and then i sneak up on them, sometimes within 15-20 feet and with NO ghillie. why? because i dont trust the ballistics of airsoft rifles enough. you have to learn to play and get the patience.

+1!
Old April 4th, 2009, 13:03   #11
RICKBO

Send a message via MSN to RICKBO
While maybe not a great time to be trying to get into airsoft-as you have 4 years until you can become age verified and finally begin looking at the classifieds-This is a good opportunity for you to scout out the local teams and fields, read up some reviews on rifles/sidearms/gear, and see about spectating some matches or mil-sims.

I must say, though, that you've gone about this the right way... Introducing yourself and commenting on your switch-over instead of bluntly asking where you can buy an airsoft sniper.

If the local teams will allow you to spectate a few skirmishes or mil-sims (More likely they'll allow you if you offer to video tape battles from the game) they may find you responsible and allow you to take a look at their guns and possibly let you play earlier than your 18th with consent from your parents.

But do note that it is through ASC that most guns are traded/bought. You are about as likely to find a camel in the artic than to get an airsoft gun over the border.
Last edited by RICKBO; 1 Minute Ago at 01:37 PM.
RICKBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 13:05   #12
Donster

if you play in a deciduous forest, multicam is KING. i actually trust my MC camo over any ghillie whenever i play at Wasaga Paintball.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 13:24   #13
Turnbull

As you may have noticed, many airsofters will tell you that buying a sniper rifle as a first gun is a bad idea. We don't say this because we don't like you, we're just offering a useful piece of advice.

In order for you to understand my point, you need to know some basic concepts involved with "sniping". First off, sniper rifles, on most fields, are allowed to exceed the normal velocity regulations for regular assault rifles, which is 400 fps (feet-per-second), by a margin of 50 fps. This means that while normal rifles can shoot at 400fps, a sniper can clock in up to, but not exceeding, 450fps. In the airsoft community, anything above 400fps is generally considered a "hot" gun. Due to this, many game organizers will feel uneasy allowing a new player to use an aeg (Automatic Electric Gun) clocking in over 400 fps, as it presents a safety hazard. As a sniper, you must consider that you have MER's (Minimum Engagement Range), which is a set distance that you must be away from your target in order to engage them with your sniper rifle. This rule is simply to prevent point blank fire with a sniper rifle, which is very dangerous, considering the high velocity of the gun.

Another basic concept that you should know is that a stock sniper rifle, meaning non-upgraded, will not have a range advantage over other aegs. This being said, fielding a stock sniper rifle will put you at a disadvantage compared to the other players for two reasons: Effective range and ROF (Rate of Fire). With a non-upgraded sniper rifle, you will not out range other aegs, combined with the strict "Semi Automatic Fire Only" policy towards sniper rifles, which greatly reduces your ROF, makes a non-upgraded sniper platform rather ineffective.

It is also worth noting that a complete sniper platform, including your rifle kit, ghillie suit, as well as vest, accessories and most of all UPGRADES to the sniper rifle, is a VERY costly endeavor. In order for the sniper rifle to be effective, you must heavily upgrade it, which can run you for alot of cash.

All this to say, I am not trying to hate on you, put you down, "flame a noob" or anything of the sort. I know how it is starting off, and thus I'm just trying to give you a perspective of the costs and requirements of pursuing the sniper path. By all means, after playing a few games, if you decide to follow this path, then go for it.

Cheers,

Turnbull
Old April 4th, 2009, 13:43   #14
King Cobra

Thank's Turn Bull for the information. Rickbo, Thank you aswell. Paintball has much less restrictions then Airsoft I've noticed but I think that's because most Paintball gun's dont even look a bit real... And in most situation's are not as dangerous as a Airsoft gun as they usually dont clock over 350 FPS. My dad and I went paintballing a couple time's together before I actually got into it cause he's the one who got me into it... Would a field let me play if my dad was with me playing?
Old April 4th, 2009, 13:44   #15
lemegacool

what turnbull said about the stock accuracy and range is true... you'll have to put more than the cost of the rifle in upgrades to make it a LITTLE bit superior to an aeg, actually i've putted about 400$ in upgrades in my sniper ...

airsoft is an extremely expensive sport... but well worth it

edit: i think you have to be at least 16 for some field to let you play with adult supervision

member of fire team NOM. my other regular forum: www.toyotanation.com / gen3,gen4 camry
lemegacool is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank