Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Beta Project pmags- for the really poor airsofters

:

Reviews

Old July 2nd, 2013, 19:47   #1
solidgear34

Exclamation Beta Project pmags- for the really poor airsofters

-sadly pics will not be uploaded till later because i forgot to charge my camera.....

message to viewer: note that i am reviewing this from a semi used pmag, results may vary upon users.

origin of this mag
:
so during a game at warsoft one of the players was throwing a major temper tantrum on his shiny "new" beta project pmags, i offered him to hand me a broken one to see if it is repairable for a review, and surely enough, here it is.

EXTERNAL FEATURES
:
the beta project replicates the magpul version surprising well, no shitty moulding, no scratches or rough edges, the plastic has a very realistic feel to it and surprisingly also has the "PTS" logo shown on the right side of the mag, the "PMAG 30" indication is also shown in the lower part of the mag.
also including with the pmags "beautiful feature" is the realistic bullets behind a clear plastic casing. not a bad look for a clone

PERFORMANCE:
so upon first performance on my g&p m4 the pmag performed to be a little short, either the mag refused to feed or skip feeds alot, out of the 100 rounds i added in the mag feeds 7/10 out of the time, upon inspection it is known that the pmag spring is alot weaker "looks like it was cut short by the previous user, so performance vary" and also 4/10 chance that the push nub might get stuck midway, so a shave down might be in order.

AFTER REPAIR PERFORMANCE:
real easy repair for the weak spring, shove a couple of bbs and the mag boosts from firing 7/10 of the time to 9/10 (could be improved). mag did feed flawlessly after the small lubrication and shavedown of the nub.

FINAL LOOK:
overall for a used half broken and fixed pmag this did do pretty well, buying the 5 pack brand new is highly recommended, this would be a great addition for anyone who wants a pmag but doesn't want to spend 25-30$ per mag.
"p.s this pmag also fits magpul ranger plates"
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:26   #2
CookedChestnuts

Green Label PMags aren't the way to go. I bought a box of 5 a while back, and they performed like absolute garbage out of the box. After fiddling around, cleaning them, etc., I finally got them working about as well as STAR plastic magazines.

There are so many better midcaps that you could buy for $9-13 each. King Arms, G&P, MAG brand, Echo1 Dogs of War all perform better than these mags. If you want the Magpul look and want to sacrifice performance, then maybe consider these. Or you could buy any of the magazines above, throw a 5.56 NATO Magpul on it, and call it a day.

Last edited by CookedChestnuts; July 3rd, 2013 at 03:27..
CookedChestnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:45   #3
RaisinBran

What do you mean by shaved the nub? I just removed the nub completely leaving just the follower with no nub connected to it.
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:55   #4
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
I had a ten pack of these and for the first couple months they fed very well, but after some vigorous use they fed terribly.

I tried removing the top of the follower on a couple to see if maybe that extension on the follower was catching; no joy. I tried lubing; no joy. I tried cleaning the mags AND my hop up; no joy.

Mind you, I was using these with a G&G SCAR only, so who knows what the real problem was. I can tell you though that after buying four true PTS mags, the feel between the two is like night and day. Much denser polymer on the PTS mags than the BP versions. The color matching is also better on the PTS (kinda a given), and I have NEVER had a single feed issue with them on full auto or semi.

Its really chapped that the real PTS mags don't come as package deals or for less expensive individual prices, but after using multiple brand mags, the PTS PMAGs are bar none my favorite. Having a car drive over them and being filled with mud and still performing after a quick clean speaks for itself.

I will say that I have a bunch of random "Chinglish" brand STANAG mags bought for $8 each that perform almost as well, but not on full auto, they are my "semi auto only" mags.

My only conclusion is that the spring in the BP versions simply were not made with enough tension and after being loaded and depleted multiple times that they simply didn't have enough tension to force the rounds into the hop up. I say this as I would only fire one round on full auto and maybe 5/10 on semi. I ended up selling them all for dirt cheap as they were too much of a pain to deal with.

Last edited by Zack The Ripper; July 3rd, 2013 at 09:58..
Zack The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 17:54   #5
solidgear34

true there zack, i was looking at the dytac mags as well, i think they might be ok
Old July 3rd, 2013, 18:01   #6
White_knight

ironically when i got my pts masada, i picked up a box of the green labels and two pts pmags. the pts ones were the ones giving me trouble while the green labels preformed flawlessly. also the the green label faux bullets look way better than the pts ones.

White_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 18:20   #7
RaisinBran

IMO best mid caps that are cheap and look great are the Socomgear licensed ones.
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 19:24   #8
solidgear34

lol i guess everyone has mixed feelings about them, so it depends on the box?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 21:29   #9
Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidgear34 View Post
lol i guess everyone has mixed feelings about them, so it depends on the box?
Depends on YOUR gun actually, as the feeding/fitment problems most run into deals with how far into the magazine the hop feeder goes based on your guns specific measurements and hop up chambers dimensions. They all roughly follow the same, but there is always slight differences that can turn a feeding mag with no problems into a huge pain in the ass.

I have had some good and bad luck with BP PMAGS, they are licensed by PTS so there is some guarantee they are decently fabricated. They cut corners somewhere in the process, but it is hard to tell where.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 21:41   #10
solidgear34

hmm
Old July 3rd, 2013, 21:47   #11
Socks

i cant get these to feed in my g&p at all, what did you do to yours to get it to work?
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 21:49   #12
solidgear34

well socks i jammed bbs into the back and hoped that the spring tension can be increased, i may lose some bb space but i worked out so far
Old July 3rd, 2013, 22:22   #13
solidgear34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
i cant get these to feed in my g&p at all, what did you do to yours to get it to work?
also i recommend adding velcro to the inside of magwell, a tighter mag compartment might help
Old July 3rd, 2013, 22:56   #14
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
^Airsoft MacGyvers at work.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:17   #15
Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
Usually people file down the feeder lip.

So check out some google-fu to find out how to do it.

Measure 2 times, cut/file once.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews