Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cybergun Magpul Masada Issue - Overheating?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 23rd, 2012, 21:03   #1
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

Cybergun Magpul Masada Issue - Overheating?

Hello everybody,

After just recently turning 18 (Yes, I am looking into getting my AV status) I purchased the Cybergun rebrand of the A&K Magpul Masada. I've been running it stock with the 8.4v 1200mah battery it came with, and I've fired approx. 600 .20g BB's through it and I've run into a problem.

I attempted to fire a few BB's at a target the other day, and for some reason the squeeze of the trigger did nothing. No response, not even a sound was made (and yes, the battery was fully charged, and the safety was off). I attempted the usual switch from semi to full a few times, and nothing happened. So, I went to check the batteries connection, and noticed that the battery was extremely hot. I then noticed that the hand grip was giving off a significant amount of heat as well, and after a little research I discovered that the motor is located there.

Now, I'm not quite sure exactly what the problem is here, however I have a feeling that the motor is either fried or the battery was simply junk. Either that, or the wiring in the gun is terrible. I never dropped the Masada or bumped into anything with it, so how this happened is beyond me.

If anybody could shed some light on the problem, and perhaps give me a push in the right direction in terms of action it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help that anybody can offer,

Jake

P.S.-I just got the gun a few days ago, so the warranty is still active. Should I look into getting a replacement or what?
hot_shot under fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 21:31   #2
dwsage

I'm not a gearbox expert but as far as I am aware, a motor draws almost infinite current at 0rpm. so if your motor is seized or something is stopping it from spinning AND there is power running through it, it's most likely drawing from the power source at an insane rate. which might explain the extreme heat up. As to what is seizing the motor... that I am not sure. maybe try adjusting the screw at the bottom of your pistol grip. The height of the motor might be off.

also, did you clear the barrel with the cleaning rod? its possible that there is a jam
Old June 23rd, 2012, 21:56   #3
Wrath144
formerly steyr

Take off your upper receiver and look in the rear window of the mechbox. If the piston is back you probably just locked it up and the battery is too weak to turn it over.
It sucks that the grip is a part of the lower receiver, otherwise you could probably just do the paperclip trick. In this case, that would require you to pull apart the whole gun, except for the gearbox. If you feel comfortable doing that, let me know and I'll give some more info.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 22:01   #4
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

I noticed some minor scorch marks on the inside of the "female" plug, so I attempted to plug the battery in to see what would happen. When the 2 ends of the plug came into contact briefly, it sparked and something in the motor moved rather quickly for a fraction of a second. Because of that I don't think that the motor is seizing up at all as it seems to still function.

I did check the barrel and nothing is blocking it what-so-ever. I think the problem here may be the plug and battery, not the motor or wiring. However, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff, so I certainly could be wrong.

I checked the piston and it is in its forward position, so I don't believe that the battery is too weak to push it back.

As for opening up the gun, I can't do that as it will void the warranty, and I don't really want to do that just yet I'm afraid.

Thank-you for your input, it is much appreciated,

Jake

Last edited by hot_shot under fire; June 23rd, 2012 at 22:05..
Old June 23rd, 2012, 22:42   #5
MultipleParadox

If you have a warranty going on, best thing is to make use of it

You should go back to where you got it (mau we know where?) and ask for an exchange or prof. repair

If your motor seems to work, it might be your gears seizing up due to a crooked gear or something blocking the piston. You shouldn't try to operate it until you know what's the issue or you might worsen the problem

Good luck

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 23:07   #6
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

I just sent Tornoto Airsoft an E-mail about it. Hopefully they return my E-mail with good news sometime early next week.

I won't be touching the gun until I've figured out what's wrong with it. Fingers crossed that the warranty isn't voided by some ridiculous reason. Otherwise I'll have to take it to a gun doc, and that's only more money out of my pockets...

Thanks for the info and input everybody. I really appreciate it!

Jake
Old June 24th, 2012, 00:00   #7
L473ncy

Was that the 1st gen or 2nd gen A&K Masada?

IIRC the first gen was just absolute shit whereas the 2nd gen isn't too bad and compared to the ARES/Magpul PTS version at least it's got a standard V2 gearbox so worst comes to worst just drop in a complete gearbox and you're good to go (ideally you won't have to but it is an option).

For your reading pleasure: http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums...pinions-44370/

As for your problem I've seen it a few times. It will have to be taken apart to the gearbox however but after it's there you can fix it. It could be the gears have seized, it could also be that a gear tooth broke off and is blocking the gears from spinning therefore causing your motor to pull current from the battery and discharge. When it pulls current the battery pack will heat up as will the motor and because it has nowhere to output that energy in the form of mechanical motion you're left with it all being converted to heat energy.

IMO, if you have warranty then take it back to them and get it fixed, if not then pay a gundoc to look at it or if you're mechanically inclined and have the tools and time to go back and forth for parts then you could do it yourself.
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:32   #8
dwsage

i just remembered seeing this a while ago BROKEN! Magpul Masada/ACR PTS Airsoft Version Repair Video PART 1 - YouTube
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:12   #9
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

I believe that the Masada was a 2nd gen. I'm not 100% sure, however as I did buy it new and it is the Cybergun knock-off, chances are it is the 2nd gen.

If the warranty is somehow voided I will be taking the Masada to a gun doc to see what the problem is. If worst comes to worst I'll drop in a new upgraded gearbox, buy a 9.6v 1600mAh battery and some new plugs and hopefully the Masada won't crap out on me again for some time.

Once again, thank-you all for the help!

Jake
Old July 14th, 2012, 20:52   #10
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

Just thought I would update on the situation.

I sent the Masada back to Toronto Airsoft, and they said that they fired it and it works perfectly fine. They said that the 8.4v battery simply was not powerful enough to push the upgraded spring (Although it had been for the first 5 days I had it, so what the hell?) So now they are going to downgrade the spring and ship the Masada back to me (Ofcourse, charging me for shipping both ways in addition to the gun docs charges, even though it's covered by waranty).

Something tells me that something is wrong with the gun, because I tested it with a friends 9.6 1600mAh and 11.1 Lipo battery before I shipped it back, and there was no trigger response. So either I'm being bullshitted, or something happened to make it work again while the Masada was in their hands. I guess I'll see what the deal is when I get it back. Either way, if it's broken out of the box when I get it back, ohh man...

Regardless, I can safely say that I'll never buy anything short of BB's from Toronto Airsoft again.

Now, onto a new question.

I was looking through eHobbyAsia and saw that the Magpul PTS P-Mag 120s are only $19.80 per mag if I buy 8 or more (and I plan to buy 10). That is quite a good deal compared to the $27-$38 per mag in Canada. Now, my question is, can I import the mags without a problem from customs? I know that they should be fine to come accross our boarders as they are only airsoft. Plus they do not have the window with the fake bullets visible, however I wish to know if anybody has had any personal experiances with this kind of thing.

Any answers/help will be much appreciated.

Thank-you,

Jake

Last edited by hot_shot under fire; July 14th, 2012 at 23:25..
Old July 14th, 2012, 22:17   #11
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
So they fixed your problem for free (gave you great customer service) and you're never going to buy anything from them again? Seems like a silly choice.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 22:32   #12
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Sounds like you got first class service from Toronto Airsoft and now you're whinging about it... what did you want a whole new gun?

What you were describing is "classic" seized piston syndrome, I'm not surprised that your buddies batteries were also unable to clear the jam, often the mechbox needs to be taken apart or the anti-reversal latch disengaged to clear this malfunction.

Guh! That things shoots 440fps and you were trying to crank it with an 8.4v battery? That's definitely underpowered, but it should perform better with the stock spring installed.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 23:24   #13
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

Oh no no, I did have to pay for it completely (Shipping both ways in addition to the gun docs charges to change the spring). Sorry that I left that part out... It was just surprising to me that I had to dish out another $90.00 considering a friend of mines experience with them was similar, however they paid for everything in his case.

And a seized piston huh? Well, I never would have thought of that... It makes perfect sense though. I had a huge feeling that the 8.4v would mess things up a bit, especially with the M140 spring installed (Noob mistake to run the underpowered battery that came with the gun with a pre-upgraded spring). I should have ran the 9.6v right off the bat. However I do suppose that now with a downgraded stock spring and the 9.6v 1600mAh battery, things should run a lot smoother then before.

And my apologies to Toronto Airsoft for my previous post. I'm just upset that my first AEG stopped functioning only 5 days and 600 bb's after receiving it. It's very upsetting, especially considering it set me back $430.00 (Reasonable price, but that's a lot of nickels and dimes saved since 2008) However, I suppose my case was a best case scenario, considering the experiences of other people here on ASC.

Jake
Old July 15th, 2012, 00:11   #14
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Well you bought a Cybergun..... Whatd you expect. Thats a low end AEG. And airsoft is like that. Go Buy a G&P and run it stock, the gears will give out rather quickly in most cases.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 00:40   #15
ap27

Technically the Cybergun Masada was identical to the A&K, just with proper licensing. But yea, the A&K one did require some work done out of the box. Most AEGs do, even the PTS one I think

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank