Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Socom Gear Lancer Systems & Troy Branded Mid-cap Magazines

:

Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 6th, 2013, 00:21   #1
OM3GA
 
OM3GA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Socom Gear Lancer Systems & Troy Branded Mid-cap Magazines

This review may be a little out of the norm considering most magazines are pretty much the same but I think these offer some unique features and good value for what you are paying.



When you get these magazines they will be packaged in a nice Socom Gear box and the mags them self will be in their own individual bags (pictures below.) You get five for a price of $69.00 (that is the price from airsoftparts.ca so elsewhere may differ.) At that price it makes them a competitor with most other mid-cap box sets of five mags (G&P, King Arms, etc.)

The first thing that sets these magazines apart from most other mid-cap mags is the capacity. Instead of the normal 100-120 rounds you usually see it is 190. Another thing that I personally like is the use real trademarks. Some may not care for them but I know some people do, and besides it adds that nice touch of realism. These mags have a nice feel and they are made from an impact resistant polymer(as per Socom Gear.) It does not feel quite as good as Magpul polymer but it doesn't feel cheap and brittle either. The Lancer L5 mags have "dotted" textured finish and ribbing along the entire body. In contrast the Troy Battle mags have two strips of a fish scale like texture that offer excellent grab, and the rest of their body is smooth.

The magazines both share the same internals and seem to have a pre-lubbed
spring from the factory. The noticeable difference is obviously the external shells. The L5's with a transparent smoke shell and ornament rounds and the Battle mags have an all black shell. The ornament rounds in the L5's are about as good as they come with my only gripe being that the bullets them self are brass like the cases and not copper colored. That is nothing a little copper colored paint won't fix though, and you can even paint the tips to resemble different 5.56 rounds while you are at it if you like.

As for fitment I am ecstatic with these. With my gun using a King Arms receiver I have ran into mag problems before like G&P metal mid-caps not even fitting because they were too wide. They are however a little snug but they seem to get better after around 100 insertions and extractions. They both fit and feed in my personal gun perfectly. The story is the same with a G&P sentry, they fit well and also feed well with next to no wobble. From the original thread I posted about these mags I also got some information about fit in other receivers from HKGhost:
Quote:
I just had my hands on them. They are really nice. Very solid and the bullets are a bit shiny. The nylon fiber body and very solid with no flex. They are a bit tight in Madbull's bodies and very tight in Dboys. G&P fitment are good. Didn't test with other bodies. They have RS trade marks from Lanser Systems and there's grippy texture all over the place. So you won't need anti skid tape or anything to have a good grip on them.
This being said it is better that they fit tight rather than be too loose and if that is an issue its nothing a little sanding won't solve (do this at your own risk as you could potentially take off too much and get a sloppy fit.) Like I said I encountered that they did fit better after about 100 insertions and extractions from the receiver.

That about wraps up this review. I will add anything I discover in the future and feel free to post your own experiences and I will add any new information to the this post. Enjoy the close up shots courtesy of RedWolf Airsoft!





Lancer Systems L5 WarFighter Magazines by Socom Gear:




Troy Industries Battle Magazines by Socom Gear:

__________________

Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis.

Last edited by OM3GA; January 6th, 2013 at 01:10..
OM3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 00:38   #2
Short Round
Najohn
 
Short Round's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phils Grandsons
Thanks for the review! I was really interested in these for whenever I get around to getting myself a new platform.

Good to know they aren't a bust
__________________
Guardians Of Asgaard



P90's 101 Guide
Short Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:36   #3
sushicake
 
sushicake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Markham, ON
I played with some of the lancer ones with the dummy rounds fit nice and snug in my G&P, fed awesomely too but damn do those dummy rounds look bleh... I mean they look cool from the side and the back but for some strange odd reason the decided to make the actual bullet only a sliver, it could be for safety/governmental reasons but adding a few more pieces of plastic to complete the bullet would have made these mags perfect!
__________________
"Don't you know the first law of physics? Anything fun costs atleast $8"
sushicake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 16:00   #4
Eien
 
Eien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Looks like a good alternative to your usual Magpul stuff. Definitively will pick some up when I get a M4.
Eien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 16:30   #5
Mandalore
 
Mandalore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stratford, ON
Nice review!
__________________
WE M4 Raptor
VFC HK416
KWA MP7A1
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa
Mandalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 16:39   #6
ecnerual
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Someone knows if they work greats in a VFC hk416 (Looks like magpul Pmags dont work in the hk416, because its an european gun).
ecnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 16:40   #7
Stealth
Mr. Silencer
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto
Yes they do work in the HK416.

PMags will also work in the HK416 if you modify the magwell and/or use E-Mags instead.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 16:43   #8
ecnerual
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Yes they do work in the HK416.

PMags will also work in the HK416 if you modify the magwell and/or use E-Mags instead.
Do you have any link where I could watch/read how to modify the magwell?

thank you
ecnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:56   #9
Spadona
 
Spadona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Scarborough, ON
I have a set of Tory ones as well. They feed without any issues after a new hop-up unit to my Lancer Tactical, and I'm very happy with them. I slapped a Magpul mag assist on them no problem at all. However, there is a bit of mag wobble, but its not game-breaking. If you have a stock Lancer Tactical, you may need to buy a new hop-up system before they'll work.
Spadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:33   #10
brock0
 
brock0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
I bought the Warfighter L5 mags in tan.

I like the look, they feed well, and loaded easily right out of the box.

They have some odd fitment issues with VFC though.

They do not fit at all in my VFC MK12 Mod 1 or my VFC PDW.

They do however fit and feed nicely in my VFC MK18 Mod 1.

Don't expect them to fit VFC unless you can try one in your gun first.

Last edited by brock0; June 10th, 2014 at 16:30..
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 16:51   #11
Stealth
Mr. Silencer
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnerual View Post
Do you have any link where I could watch/read how to modify the magwell?

thank you
It's self-explanatory once you get the gun and magazine.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 19:27   #12
smwcz
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Unhappy

i just bought a box of Socom Gear Troy Battle Mid-Cap Magazine for M4 AEG 190 round. they do fit in G&G body nice and tight,i m pretty happy about this.the problem is they dont feed ,even in semi.it's 190rd mags but i can only load 120 ish, i can let go. weird thing is they dont feed if i load around 120 rounds, but somehow the mags can work properly if i only load like 50 rounds in there. Another thing is the spring,

spring is not compressed equally

and when i hold the release nub back, no bb pop out


is this mags' problem or what? how do i solve it?
smwcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 22:45   #13
Short Round
Najohn
 
Short Round's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phils Grandsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwcz View Post
i just bought a box of Socom Gear Troy Battle Mid-Cap Magazine for M4 AEG 190 round. they do fit in G&G body nice and tight,i m pretty happy about this.the problem is they dont feed ,even in semi.it's 190rd mags but i can only load 120 ish, i can let go. weird thing is they dont feed if i load around 120 rounds, but somehow the mags can work properly if i only load like 50 rounds in there. Another thing is the spring,

is this mags' problem or what? how do i solve it?

I noticed sometimes my mags wouldn't fully load unless I really forced my loader to feed initially when I got them.


1. If you haven't already broke in your magazines. Load them up fully and leave them for a day, then release all the bbs out on the following day and repeat the method 2-3 more times. If this does not fix your problem proceed to the next step.

2. Take the spring out of each mag, stretch out the springs, and put them back into the mags. Now check if your problem is solved.

If the problem still persists *READ up on the following aka use Google, do the method above first then see if that fixes your problem, if it does not proceed to the next step.

3. Put two SMALL drops of silicone oil into the channel and load up the mags fully. Leave for a couple hours to a day (preferably), then release bbs from mag and repeat process 2-3 times. *NOTE DO NOT REUSE THESE BBs IN YOUR GUN. Throw them away or at someone. Getting oil in your Hop Up Unit/On your Rubber is a NO NO, it WILL ruin your Hop Up Rubber for sure! Don't even fire your gun with the mags until you've finished.

4. Once BBs have been removed and disposed of, open up the mags and thoroughly wipe down the channel in each magazine. Reassemble you mags once you have done so and test fire them.

If the problem persists still proceed to Google for further help. This was the method I did to various magazines I own, certain steps fixed my problems and weren't necessary in doing. A good rule of thumb though is that when you get new magazines, before even testing them in your gun you should always break them in (Step 1), that alone should help with your magazines feeding properly.


Personally I'd trust the internet over my method, which might be similar, research a little on what other people do first before taking action. Good luck
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Breaking+in+Airsoft+Magazines
__________________
Guardians Of Asgaard



P90's 101 Guide
Short Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 00:57   #14
smwcz
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
I noticed sometimes my mags wouldn't fully load unless I really forced my loader to feed initially when I got them.


1. If you haven't already broke in your magazines. Load them up fully and leave them for a day, then release all the bbs out on the following day and repeat the method 2-3 more times. If this does not fix your problem proceed to the next step.

2. Take the spring out of each mag, stretch out the springs, and put them back into the mags. Now check if your problem is solved.

If the problem still persists *READ up on the following aka use Google, do the method above first then see if that fixes your problem, if it does not proceed to the next step.

3. Put two SMALL drops of silicone oil into the channel and load up the mags fully. Leave for a couple hours to a day (preferably), then release bbs from mag and repeat process 2-3 times. *NOTE DO NOT REUSE THESE BBs IN YOUR GUN. Throw them away or at someone. Getting oil in your Hop Up Unit/On your Rubber is a NO NO, it WILL ruin your Hop Up Rubber for sure! Don't even fire your gun with the mags until you've finished.

4. Once BBs have been removed and disposed of, open up the mags and thoroughly wipe down the channel in each magazine. Reassemble you mags once you have done so and test fire them.

If the problem persists still proceed to Google for further help. This was the method I did to various magazines I own, certain steps fixed my problems and weren't necessary in doing. A good rule of thumb though is that when you get new magazines, before even testing them in your gun you should always break them in (Step 1), that alone should help with your magazines feeding properly.


Personally I'd trust the internet over my method, which might be similar, research a little on what other people do first before taking action. Good luck
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Breaking+in+Airsoft+Magazines
Thank you for all those tips, I will give them a try,hope they work
smwcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 16:21   #15
Slodin
 
Slodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Surrey B.C
I have the Lancer, fits so far: (with no fit issues whatsoever)
King Arms Metal body M4
G&P PTS Magpul MoE M4
Elite force Tar-21 Pro
G&G CM16 Raider

These mags are a little tigter than the standard mags, but I like that because I don't like how the standard mags just falls out while reloading..
__________________
Slodin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.