Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New to Airsoft

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 4th, 2014, 20:45   #16
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
integrated kneepads might not work out for you, it's one of those one size fits all in terms of proportions. If you find a pair of knee pads that work really well, you can roll with them and invest the money elsewhere.
Says the man that clearly has never owned a pair of quality pants with integrated knee pads lol

ur-tactical.com - integrated battle pants 3D
-pants come in american sizes (means small to OMG WHY DO THEY MAKE WHALE PANTS)
-pads have velcro straps on each side to adjust tension or proximity to your knee, or the side to side shift (I let mind droop in place, they always find their place when I kneel down)
-pads are adjustable in HEIGHT, there's a strap inside that allows you to raise the height of the knee pad to center perfectly over your knee
-Don't have to put knee pads on
-Don't have to wear knee pads around your ankles
-Don't cut off blood flow to your feet
-Don't make the strap lines itchy with ridiculous amounts of sweat
-they're also incredibly comfortable

Only downside is they don't come in every camo of the rainbow, but they come in most of the new ones.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:54   #17
Whiskey1968

Thanks again guys. And I agree, when it comes to the eyes....better to have the best protection.

Regarding the pistol....is better to have green gas or Co2?

If someone could PM me a good place to order the shirt and pants, integrated or otherwise. I will ask a few of the players around here how they find the comfort of both styles.

I was in Kingston last summer with the family visiting the In-law's. Loved it there. They had a cottage just outside of Picton (Cherryhill I do believe). We are planning to visit there again either next year or the year after. Would love to drop in on a few games.

Thanks again guys!!!

Last edited by Whiskey1968; June 5th, 2014 at 04:58..
Whiskey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 13:44   #18
UBE Chief

I heard CO2 kicks harder, and Green Gas can have some lubrication or something pre-mixed. I don't know much, so don't take my word for it <w>
Old June 5th, 2014, 14:14   #19
Wli

Hopefully you'll take the plunge to get age verified as well, as you see a lot of good deals in the av sections. Also, you see a lot of reviews of different retailers so you can have more options when it comes to all the candy you want. If you do go through the av process.. don't do this http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=165194
Wli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 14:55   #20
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Says the man that clearly has never owned a pair of quality pants with integrated knee pads lol
I don't refute this accuastion. lol

Fact is though, if it works for you and doesn't cost a lot, that's fine.. if nothing fits or is comfortable or works for you, then have at it.

I made the comment cause not everything fits everyone the same way. If a cheaper option works just as well, why not go with that? Some people are perfectly fine with a setup that causes legs to go numb on others. :P

edit: be careful with CO2 guns.. some of them won't make chrono... a lot of them tend to shoot harder than some AEGs lol... make sure to do your research before putting money in.

Last edited by lurkingknight; June 5th, 2014 at 15:13..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 15:08   #21
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Well Picton Ontario? You could of came to Nightfall 3! Guess you can come to Nightfall 4.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=161318

Some of us put real steel parts on our guns aswell, this hobby can become quite expensive!

But to each, their own
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 15:13   #22
Wli

Some of us only eat what we can find from restaurant garbage cans and prostitute ourselves down at the docks to put real eotechs and real Daniel defense. We Whore ourselves out so we can Whore more to magpul and what not ;D
Wli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 05:05   #23
Whiskey1968

I work in city sanitation..lol. Believe me Wli...i won't be eating any of that crap

Will be looking into that BioRage..thanks mate!!

I am in the process of getting age verified. I have contacted my local rep and trying to set up a meeting that is convenient for him. Really want to be looking at what this site has to offer. I read that particular post Wli. One thing I have gained over 46 (46 is the new 20 by the way...lol) years of life is patience.

Will def be doing my homework on a pistol before purchase LurkingKnight...thanks for the advice mate!

Checking out their website ThunderCactus...thanks!!

Diadochi ... yur callsign is so familiar. Have you ever played Cliffs of Dover or IL2 (combat flight sim)?

Last edited by Whiskey1968; June 6th, 2014 at 05:09..
Old June 6th, 2014, 07:43   #24
brock0

Quote:

ur-tactical.com - integrated battle pants 3D
-pants come in american sizes (means small to OMG WHY DO THEY MAKE WHALE PANTS)
-pads have velcro straps on each side to adjust tension or proximity to your knee, or the side to side shift (I let mind droop in place, they always find their place when I kneel down)
-pads are adjustable in HEIGHT, there's a strap inside that allows you to raise the height of the knee pad to center perfectly over your knee
-Don't have to put knee pads on
-Don't have to wear knee pads around your ankles
-Don't cut off blood flow to your feet
-Don't make the strap lines itchy with ridiculous amounts of sweat
-they're also incredibly comfortable

Only downside is they don't come in every camo of the rainbow, but they come in most of the new ones.
2nd on this. I just got a pair of the UR Tactical 3D battle pants and gamed them last weekend. The integrated kneepads worked great and were very comfortable... and multicam tropic is sexy.

brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 13:30   #25
Spadona

As for your comment on gas types for gas blowbacks; co2 has more force to it, meaning the BB will have a higher velocity exiting the barrel. Green gas has less unf to it, so the BB will be traveling at a slower speed compared to co2.
Green gas is cheaper, since you can essentially use propane (Coleman 1lb tanks work perfectly) and you can find them everywhere. Co2 costs about $1 per canister, and the costs add up.

Take some time and read the posts here. They're very educational, and can help you buy the right equipment for you. I spent about 3 months researching before buying my first plate carrier. After getting age verified, you'll have even more access to our library of infinite airsoft wisdom.
Spadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 14:09   #26
Whiskey1968

Thanks Spadona. I have done some research and still reading lots of info on the different pistols.

Hopefully I get to meet with my local rep this weekend or one of his mates and get verified. Looking forward to browsing the classifieds
Old June 6th, 2014, 16:22   #27
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock0 View Post
2nd on this. I just got a pair of the UR Tactical 3D battle pants and gamed them last weekend. The integrated kneepads worked great and were very comfortable... and multicam tropic is sexy.
DAMNIT. My pants and boonie are in the mail, already got the tropic shirt though
They didnt have pants in my size when they first released them
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 17:02   #28
brock0

Quote:
DAMNIT. My pants and boonie are in the mail, already got the tropic shirt though
They didnt have pants in my size when they first released them
Ahaha my shirt and boogie are in the mail
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 19:28   #29
Laurel
a.k.a. mak11

Damn brock... now I want them pants... 158 though... I have to wait till my 5.11s fall apart... and you are right, MC tropic looks sexy.
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:49   #30
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
Most of your questions have more or less been covered except for the pistol one, so I'll chime in on that:

Sidearms aren't really required right away so if you're on a limited budget then hold off on the sidearm for now. If you have the budget for it then what you want in a sidearm depends on three factors (besides cost of course) whether or not full metal is a must, exactly what model you're partial to, and what role you want them to serve (ie sidearm and last ditch backup or primary). Certain manufacturers tend to make certain models better then others. If full metal is a must then the best choice that isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg is probably KJW, especially for the M9 which they do very well. You'll see alot of WE's around, they're cheap and full metal but tend to have problems, especially their 1911 models. KJW has a rep of having mag problems, but I have had two KJW pistols and I haven't had any trouble with my mags. If full metal isn't a must then WA or especially TM would be very good choices.

I'll comment on a couple of the more popular choices:

The Desert Eagle is a nice looking gun, but it's large, heavy and awkward. Not really something you want to field unless you're a big guy. There's also the problem that as far as I know, no one makes a full metal version of the DEagle so you'd have to go ABS.

I have a 1911 and I love it, but if you're planing on using your pistol frequently as a primary or using it for CAPS style target shooting then go with the hicapa. The hicapa is basically a doublestack version of the 1911. I went with the 1911 specifically because I have small hands and find guns with double stack mags don't fit my hands well. If you're interesting in tricking out your pistol then you should definitely go with the hicapa, the bulk of pistol upgrades out there are all for the hicapa. And get a TM hicapa if you do get one, since all the upgrades are for TM. Yeah, other pistols are TM compatible, but that's not quite the same.

The M9 is a good solid sidearm. If all you want is a good sidearm and backup weapon then the M9 is a great choice. They're fairly common as well, so you'll be able to get one for a decent price.

Glocks in airsoft are like Glocks in real steel: functional, reliable weapons. But in my mind Glocks just don't have any soul. If you're one of those people that like glocks then go for it, if not go with the 1911, Hicapa or M9.

Another thing that concerns alot of people when it comes to pistols is full metal or not. ABS is more efficient, and all the higher quality manufacturers tend to only produce in ABS. But for those that only want a pistol as a sidearm, well full metal just looks and feels so much nicer, generally better kick as well. The downsides to full metal are they use more gas to move the heavier slide (this is particularly a concern in singlestack guns like the 1911) and generally cause more wear on the parts.

Upgrading the higher quality abs guns to full metal is possible but very expensive. It usually easily doubles the cost of the weapon if not more. Illusion is the guy to talk to about pistol upgrades. There's a couple of guys, Illusion included who sometimes build and sell upgraded pistols, frequently in full metal. But you're looking at a price tag of $700-$1300.

The brand names you generally want to keep an eye out for are TM or WA for the higher quality abs pistols, particularly TM. And KJW for reasonably priced, reasonable quality full metal guns. Stay away from WE's, they have a bad tendency to rip themselves to pieces quite quickly. Don't bother with the cansoft hybrids (clear or smoked abs receivers), since you're about to be AV'ed get a full black pistol out of the classifieds or ASC retailers.

I'll cover fueling them as well. Offical documentation usually states that GBB's (Gas Blow Back) run off of Green Gas. But the thing they don't want you to know is Green Gas is just propane, mixed with silicone oil, stored in an unsafe container, and marked up in price by like three or four hundred precent. If you get a GBB that runs off of Green Gas, and they pretty much all do now-a-days, then just get an Airsoft Inovations propane adapter for about $20 (which includes a small bottle of silicone oil) and a can of coleman's propane from Canadian Tire and you're good to go. Most GBB mags hold about 25 rounds. A single fill of gas in a double stack mag is enough, even with the heavier metal slides, to empty the mag of BB's at least twice on a warm day. The single stack mags are alittle more troublesome. Since BB's are tiny compared to bullets, a single stack mag holds as many rounds as a double stack mag. The problem is the gas reservoir is substantially smaller. With a ABS slide you can almost always get through a single mag's worth of BB's but not much more. With a metal slide you're reduced to no more then 15 rounds, maybe 20 on a hot day with slow firing. CO2 is the other major fuel source. It hits harder and is less effected by temperature, but causes more wear and tear and is considerably more expensive. It's also somewhat less common.

The other choice is an AEP (automatic electric pistol) but not a good choice in my mind. The problem with AEP's is they're weak fps. Small batteries mean they have little staying power as well. No blowback either, or if they do, then they're even weaker then normal.

GBB's fire hotter, last longer (or rather are much easier to refill) and, due to blowback, are much cooler. The only reason pretty much anyone gets a AEP is to have a sidearm for the colder months. The only way to get a good performance AEP is if you start going into the borderline smg area like mp7's or mp5k's. A good AEP is going to be about the same cost as a good GBB and still won't have as good a performance as even a cheap GBB.

One other thing to keep in mind with a GBB is the cost of spare mags, which generally tends to surprise newbies. A second-hand GBB mag will be $30-$40 and a brand new one would be $40-$50, each. If all you're using your pistol for is a sidearm and last ditch backup then one or at most two mags should do you just fine. But if you're planing on using it as a primary you're going to want four or five or more and that's going to equal or exceed the cost of the gun itself.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank