Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ghillie construction

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 29th, 2010, 23:09   #1
Huge
formerly Huge94

Ghillie construction

So I'm in the beginning of my thinking process about constructing a ghillie suit.
I've read a lot about it, but everything seems tocomplicated for me. First thing I've learned was to keep them simple so it got me thinking...

Could I take a regular, solid poncho ( like this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/MILITARY-RAIN-PON...ht_3288wt_1057) then maybe sew (or glue) pieces of net on it to then attach the pieces of burlap? Then maybe do the same with OD bdu pants... This would make a light, effective and waterproof ghillie.

Opinions?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 23:29   #2
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Simplest way IMHO;

1. Get a set of BDU's in woodland (or other colour preference). By at least one size larger than you usually wear so you can move freely and wear camelbacks etc underneath the ghille;
2. Buy a surplus cam net;
3. Get yourself some SHOE GOO;
4. Using the shoe goo, apply the cam net to the bdu's, with a dab of goo at each corner of the netting.
5. Attacch burlap/jute string if req'd.

Using a cam net gives you a nice strong netting material to tie burlap/jute to, while also providing some "leaf" type camo as well.

I'm building a new ghille right now and will be using this method. Don't forget that you will be wanting to get yourself some cordura fabric and some thin padding, use it to reinforce the pressure areas like the front of the legs, torso and elbows of the ghillie.

Happy ghillie making!
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 23:31   #3
Huge
formerly Huge94

There, a nice simple and easy guide. Thanks for that mate!
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 23:51   #4
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

No problem; I forgot to mention that for the padding you want closed cell foam, not open cell so it doesn't soak up water. A thin camp sleeping pad from Cambodian Tire will work and is super cheap.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 20:48   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Actually that doesn't work at all, way to thick and stiff. Best to use two layers of cupboard liner foam, can find at the dollar store or CT, is used for making a non-slip mat in cupboards, tool boxes, etc. Fold in two, sew under OD canvas (don't use nylon, it's really noisy when rubbing against branches and stuff), good to go. Am saying all this because the first time I made my ghillie, I used nylon canvas and sleeping bag roll, was damned hard to bend my knees well and was noisy. I went with my suggestion after, works like a charm, is quiet and protects well.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 23:45   #6
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I re-enforced the elbows and knees with denim (jean) that I painted. I just wear my kneepads under the ghillie suit. Work like a charm.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion