Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Games for newbies?

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 6th, 2014, 01:15   #1
Glamabilly

Games for newbies?

I just wanted to ask about all the games listed I this forum. I've seen a bunch of games with complicated story lines, games that look like invite only, or at least you seem to have to be known by the organizers. If you are just starting out in this game, and in my case in a new city as well, how welcoming are the games listed? I'm not part of a team and am new to the game as if this winter so the only place I have gone is to ultimate air soft. I had a blast there, but would like a bit more out of the sport. Summer is coming, I would like to get out to take part. I, like a bunch of people am not a kid, and have invested in the equipment, I don't want the only use of my guns to be shooting pop cans in the garage. I guess I'm looking for sort of a walk on game with a bit more if a story than paint ball, but not totally milsim. Any advice regarding games would be great.
Thanks.
Glamabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:32   #2
L473ncy

Yes there are.

I personally would not recommend you jump into a full on milsim just yet. Get in some short walk on day skirmishes and "pick up games" and then work your way up to 6-8 hour day sims then get into the milsim thing.

There's lots of venues available to play at just wait until the summer. I can't speak for what the scene is out there but I do know there's tonnes of venues to play at which totally newbie friendly and have a good mix.

At the same time though, if you have a bad experience don't just quit, try a different venue/group and see where that takes you. I know that I don't like the way a certain group I've played with plays and that's fine, they do their thing and I do mine, it's just not my cup of tea. At the same time there's another group that I totally fit in with and I want to see them expand their ranks.

tl;dr just keep looking. Maybe don't dive in head first to a full on milsim but try it out and try a couple of daysims to get a taste.
Old April 6th, 2014, 07:33   #3
Laurel
a.k.a. mak11

Don't forget to check the games section often and just sign up and show up!

Games at Fynch field and Waterdown come to mind when you want some structured games but not super milsim and are open to everyone. People know each other sure and are part of teams. However, once you get there, having the airsoft thing in common, it bridges the gap and you can talk to guys like you have known them forever.
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:58   #4
DEATH2000

Thier is a HUGE difference between "story line games" which are called MILSIM's and regular skirmish's like you would see in COD.

MILSIM stands for Military Simulation and designed to recreate the Military experience. These are for guys who have a decent amount of airsoft experience and the guns and kit to go along with it. Usually these games require a decent amount of equipment for you to sustain yourself for the duration of the game. As a newbie, these probably arent for you.

Try to find a local forum if at all possible, or check the regional sections here for local groups. Short and quick games and skirmishes are much better to get your self some playing experience. As you gain experience you can see what style of playing suits you best and branch out as needed.
Old April 9th, 2014, 14:16   #5
argyleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamabilly View Post
I just wanted to ask about all the games listed I this forum. I've seen a bunch of games with complicated story lines, games that look like invite only, or at least you seem to have to be known by the organizers. If you are just starting out in this game, and in my case in a new city as well, how welcoming are the games listed? I'm not part of a team and am new to the game as if this winter so the only place I have gone is to ultimate air soft. I had a blast there, but would like a bit more out of the sport. Summer is coming, I would like to get out to take part. I, like a bunch of people am not a kid, and have invested in the equipment, I don't want the only use of my guns to be shooting pop cans in the garage. I guess I'm looking for sort of a walk on game with a bit more if a story than paint ball, but not totally milsim. Any advice regarding games would be great.
Thanks.
Also, check out Warsoft nation. They are located at Ohsweken right below Brantford. They host a variety of skirms and of course some milsims are well on a monthly basis. They are opening the 20th of this month for a variety of games! Check out their game schedule in their website below!

http://www.warsoftnation.com/index.html

In terms of newbie friendly, everyone (in my experience) has been nice and informative. Being a new player myself, I've only played at mainly Warsoft and a few times at Ultimate. The rules and game types / modes are fun with varying scenarios.
argyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 14:18   #6
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
www.UltimateAirsoft.com - Rentals - Close quarter combat

www.whitbyairsoft.com - Close to Toronto - cheap - out doors - no rental
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 21:12   #7
BogardusFoul

Also consider, that the season hasn't really started, and there haven't been any open, "walk on" posted yet. In the next few weeks there will be a lot of action in southern Ontario.

Name Tapes
Team Patches
Hats
Custom Embroidery
www.stabface.ca
BogardusFoul is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank