Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Barrel Extensions?

:

Newbie Tank

Old September 8th, 2015, 22:55   #1
KillerUnleashed

Barrel Extensions?

So I got a TR4-18 Light because I love the look of the shorter barrel but gotta love not thinking about things and all the fields around my city are outdoors and large so I can be out ranged sometimes but now I'm wondering do barrel extensions actually work for range and with my 6.03 tightbore? I was looking to do at least a 4 inch extension maybe 6 and I like the thought of then just screwing off my "suppressor" extension and then playing CQB.
KillerUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 22:59   #2
chaz

longer barrels do not mean longer shots. In fact you could be causing the reverse affect.
Get better rubbers
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 10:43   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

read this http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=166583
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 12:38   #4
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Barrel length doesn't make that much difference. And you should already be getting really good distance and accuracy with that gun (unless you're not using hopup properly)

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 14:41   #5
ThunderCactus

There is, factually, zero difference in maximum potential range between a 4" and 24" barrel of any bore.
Old September 16th, 2015, 15:58   #6
chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
There is, factually, zero difference in maximum potential range between a 4" and 24" barrel of any bore.
Wait... a 4" 6.01 vs a 24" 6.08 will perform the same? or, am I using cheap crack again and reading your statement wrong?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 16:05   #7
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Wait... a 4" 6.01 vs a 24" 6.08 will perform the same? or, am I using cheap crack again and reading your statement wrong?
Barely, like a few feet from TC research IIRC? Most people been switched already to SBR's 10.5" and less. Good barrel grouping with RHOP = Magic.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 16:37   #8
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
the bore diameter doesn't have much to do with it as much as bore consistency. Over a longer barrel, the bore has higher odds of not being truly straight.

Bore diameter will contribute to fps increases in the case of tight bores because your fps will go up with a tighter bore due to higher pressure.

Barrel length has little to do with it as long as the air ratio from the charge volume is properly matched to the barrel volume. Too much air will cause turbulence at the muzzle which may disrupt the flight path.

Why people may perceive better grouping size after upgrading from brass or old barrels is corrosion, dirt, grime, bb scum, inconsistent bore diameter/straightness, and even poor air seal at the hopup unit.

Longer barrels work in real steel because of rifling, the bullet expands and is grabbed by the rifling groove and twisted in the flight path, creating gyroscopic stabilization, like a football in flight. You can't really do this with a sphere cause it's a sphere. Twisting it longitudinally will not stabilize the BB. It's more like a golf ball than a football.
Old September 16th, 2015, 19:51   #9
ThunderCactus

Literal ZERO difference specifically in maximum potential RANGE.
a 4" barrel of any bore shooting 1.48j has the same range potential as a 24" barrel of any bore shooting 1.48j
Range is BB weight, backspin, and muzzle energy. It has nothing to do with barrels.

Accuracy is a different story, but we havent seen any consistent difference in accuracy between short and long barrels.
Old September 16th, 2015, 22:33   #10
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
I have a rifle using a 300mm inner barrel using an overvolumed cylinder, and an amazing R-Hop job shooting 0.30g BBs at 1.4j. It shoots further and straighter than most guns out there, including most PTWs and HPA platforms. Straight as an arrow.

All you need is the right combination of air volume, barrel length, hop up modding and tuning, and ammo weight to get amazing results.
Old September 16th, 2015, 23:02   #11
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Instead of spending money on a new barrel, buy new BBs.

It bothers me significantly why people are still using 0.25g BBs outdoors.

The heavier the mass, the straighter it travels. There are many good options for 0.28g or heavier BBs.

Even if you don't have RHOP or flat hop or whatever hop, you will immediately see a benefit of switching to a heavier weight.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank