Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Can FPS be lowered with a weaker battery?

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2010, 22:19   #1
Percuvius

Can FPS be lowered with a weaker battery?

I know that a weaker battery lowers ROF, but will it also lower FPS? With my gun shooting over 400fps in cooler weather I'm worried it may shoot too hard for some field limits in the warmer weather.

Would swapping out my 9.6V for an 8.4V or lower shave some FPS off if it becomes a problem for me?
Old May 12th, 2010, 22:21   #2
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

What? It will shoot the same with the same spring. Battery does not affect FPS.

If you got a gas gun, then warmer weathers will increase FPS.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old May 12th, 2010, 22:27   #3
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Battery voltage can affect rounds per minute but it will not affect the bbs travel speed.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:07   #4
Rotting
Roko

TM velocity reducers are an option, however they allegedly are not very effective when firing in full auto, as well as some places won't even allow you to play with them (guessing due to the assumption of a hot gun). If you're at a private field and it's close-quarters and your entire team plays in semi-auto only, then a TM-VR might not be a bad idea.

If you're comfortable working on your mechbox, swap the spring out for one designated to shoot lower. If you're not comfortable, fish around your friends who are into the sport and see if they are, pitch them a few bucks for the labour, and you're set. If not, try and find a gun doc in the area. Not that switching the spring is probably most cost effective, and not as high maintenance. Don't know how reliable the TM VR is in terms of reliability, but judging by how it works it probably would need a part replacement more often than not.

Primary: Custom WE M16A3
Secondary: KWA MP9
Side: Custom WE M1911A1
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:04   #5
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Personally I wouldn't trust a velocity reducer as far as I could spit 'em. They rarely work and can easily wear down after minimal use.

As has been said batteries do nothing to affect RoF. This can be seen with a battery that is just about to die near the end of a day that battery is straining to spin the motor to pull the spring but it still shoots just the same as the same spring is being compressed and sending the same amount of air behind the BB.

If you want to reduce your FPS don't dick around as it won't look good on you, just do it the right way. Learn how its done and do it yourself (many tutorials out there, some on this site also) or find someone to do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:45   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
You could pull the piston back with your hand and release it, and the BB will still have the same velocity as if you had a battery in the gun and pulled the trigger.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:45   #7
squeenix
craps0ft expurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percuvius View Post
I know that a weaker battery lowers ROF, but will it also lower FPS? With my gun shooting over 400fps in cooler weather I'm worried it may shoot too hard for some field limits in the warmer weather.

Would swapping out my 9.6V for an 8.4V or lower shave some FPS off if it becomes a problem for me?
Swapping out batteries only increases the rate of fire like others said. Just as a note, decreasing FPS also increases rate of fire.

You have 2 options to decrease fps:

Replace the spring
You would probably want an m100, around 340fps. DO NOT CUT SPRING IT IS A CRAPPY WAY OF REDUCING FPS THAT WILL BREAK YOUR GUN.
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...ex&cPath=66_82

or

TM velocity reducers

I'm not sure if would trust these though...
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...roducts_id=302

Which gun do you have? If you have a VFC, or ICS, you shouldn't pay somebody to install a new spring. VFC has it's quick change feature, and you can take ICS apart with 2 bolts (I think).
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:09   #8
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:

wtf, wow

AEG's are not affected by temperature like gas guns, the fps will be the same

Yes batteries can be affected by cold temperatures, leading them to die quicker, but the battery does not affect fps.

Think that one out a bit, it's the spring that propels the piston, the battery powers the motor that pulls the spring back.
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:30   #9
Rugger_can

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
You could pull the piston back with your hand and release it, and the BB will still have the same velocity as if you had a battery in the gun and pulled the trigger.
Exactly.

There is one other option. Get out to a game before you upgrade your guns. Upgrade the player, not the gun.

In anycase, put the stock spring back in.
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:53   #10
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
In many cases, replacing the hop up rubber is easier than opening the mechbox, and at times another hop up rubber will decrease the velocity due to slight airleaks, and is a viable but cheap and easy way to drop the fps a bit if needed. Two years ago I downgraded my CA M24 to sit around 430fps, then replaced the hop up rubber and found the velocity went down to 397fps. After a bit of thought I did have a game at a paintball field coming up, AEGs max 350, BA max 400fps, figured I'd leave it. While at the field and test firing it at about 180ft with my 0.36g, I found it very easy to get all shots within a 2ft group, so I left it that way, and currently is STILL at that velocity, it works so well I have no interest in "fucking with the hard-on".
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:02   #11
Percuvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
wtf, wow

AEG's are not affected by temperature like gas guns, the fps will be the same

Yes batteries can be affected by cold temperatures, leading them to die quicker, but the battery does not affect fps.

Think that one out a bit, it's the spring that propels the piston, the battery powers the motor that pulls the spring back.
According to Mach 1 temperature will affect my gun. They told me my gun was shooting 406fps in 13C and would shoot a littleharder in warmer weather. I'm not interested in a weaker spring so if it shoots too hard I'll just find a group with a more manly FPS limit.
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:05   #12
Percuvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger_can View Post
Exactly.

There is one other option. Get out to a game before you upgrade your guns. Upgrade the player, not the gun.

In anycase, put the stock spring back in.
LOL, the stock spring shoots way harder than 406fps.
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:05   #13
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
According to Mach 1 temperature will affect my gun. They told me my gun was shooting 406fps in 13C and would shoot a littleharder in warmer weather. I'm not interested in a weaker spring so if it shoots too hard I'll just find a group with a more manly FPS limit.
According to a number of people who deal with AEGs, temperature will not affect FPS on an AEG.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:14   #14
Eien

I would just change out the spring before the day of a game...
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:18   #15
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Temperature will not affect FPS in AEGs... The volume of air within the cylinder is constant.. the only factors that will change FPS is a change in compression.. with a softer or harder spring.. and improving efficiency with better seal or a tight bore barrel.

That being said... very cold weather may cause loss of efficiency ... but then you are operating the system out of it's effective temperature range. FPS can go down in very cold weather

It worries me that people who are selling these things seem to be as clueless as the people buying them
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; May 13th, 2010 at 11:38..
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank