Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Stretching Mag Pouches

:

Gear Discussion

Old September 20th, 2011, 02:31   #1
Bolt

Stretching Mag Pouches

I have a triple magazine pouch which - supposedly - was supposed to be able to carry two M4 magazines in each [pouch]. Technically speaking, it does, but it's an extremely tight fit; too tight to be of practical use.

I've read of a few methods to stretch out mag pouches in order to give them a bit more room. These usually include packing the pouches tightly with something, and then soaking them in hot water or heating them something (hairdryer, heat gun, etc.). Some said just leaving the pouches filled for a while is sufficient to stretch them out given enough time.

I just thought I'd throw this topic out there to see if anyone has used or knows of a method that works (barring buying a new pouch)! I can't imagine I'm the only one who has run into a problem like this.

Last edited by Bolt; September 20th, 2011 at 03:38..
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:55   #2
pancakedestroyer

I just put the mags in my rig and then leave it. Seems to work fine.
pancakedestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:02   #3
slink182

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedestroyer View Post
I just put the mags in my rig and then leave it. Seems to work fine.
^ This. The pouches will eventually stretch out and "relax" (rather like how snug jean will eventually relax). It may take several weeks, though, so just be patient.
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Stalker stays where he is.
His BB's fly across the country to hit their target.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 00:25   #4
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
I have a triple magazine pouch which - supposedly - was supposed to be able to carry two M4 magazines in each [pouch]. Technically speaking, it does, but it's an extremely tight fit; too tight to be of practical use.

I've read of a few methods to stretch out mag pouches in order to give them a bit more room. These usually include packing the pouches tightly with something, and then soaking them in hot water or heating them something (hairdryer, heat gun, etc.). Some said just leaving the pouches filled for a while is sufficient to stretch them out given enough time.

I just thought I'd throw this topic out there to see if anyone has used or knows of a method that works (barring buying a new pouch)! I can't imagine I'm the only one who has run into a problem like this.
FYI if your mag pouch is base of SDS Special Defense System or made by them you are NOT going to fit PMAGS or Thermold mags, They're design for GI mags thats it.
Stretching for that type won't help
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:48   #5
Outcast569

Send a message via MSN to Outcast569
+1 to that Kull. Have had two rigs. One was like that. One was not. Couldnt for the life of me figure out why they wouldnt stretch enough.

Also be aware of cheaper gear. They dont always stretch that well.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:20   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the front half of my condor m14 pouches were actually sewn too small. Condor doubles have a divider between the halves, so the back was pretty loose while the front was too tight. I pulled out the stitch seam and restitched it by hand so it was evened out a bit more. They were off by about 9-10mm, but with determination and both hands, you could get a mag to fit... but you had to either have the vest off, or nothing else to do for about 5 minutes. Now it's snug, but I don't need to work at it to get mags in and out.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:18   #7
Oborous

If you are basically to the point of you'll toss the pouches/burn them in frustration, you can soak them in gasoline or kerosene and then shove your mag's in when it's still wet. This will damage the fibers/threads to some degree, so the whole thing will be less strong. (Of course, do in a well ventalated area, no open flames, be smart, common sense, etc.)
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 13:09   #8
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oborous View Post
If you are basically to the point of you'll toss the pouches/burn them in frustration, you can soak them in gasoline or kerosene and then shove your mag's in when it's still wet. This will damage the fibers/threads to some degree, so the whole thing will be less strong. (Of course, do in a well ventalated area, no open flames, be smart, common sense, etc.)
These 2 statements are at odds

Have you actually done this.. and had success?

or is this a " I heard from a guy who said a guy he knows heard this works"

you will never get the smell out of the gear.. ever

The best option with respect to gear that does not work is to junk it and buy stuff that does.

Buy real name brand quality gear and you don't have to deal with this sort of BS.. Buy quality, buy once.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 13:29   #9
D.Kovacs

ziplock bag + expanding foam.

just sayin'
D.Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 18:07   #10
Bolt

Yes, I've heard PMAGS don't stack. I should have clarified earlier - I'm using regular M4 mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
FYI if your mag pouch is base of SDS Special Defense System or made by them you are NOT going to fit PMAGS or Thermold mags, They're design for GI mags thats it.
Stretching for that type won't help
Old September 22nd, 2011, 13:03   #11
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Old skool method for stretching boots that are a little tight is to put a plastic bag in the show and fill with water, seal it then freeze it.
Water Expands when it freezes, only a few percent, not 700% like foam.
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 13:11   #12
Oborous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
These 2 statements are at odds

Have you actually done this.. and had success?

you will never get the smell out of the gear.. ever

The best option with respect to gear that does not work is to junk it and buy stuff that does.

Buy real name brand quality gear and you don't have to deal with this sort of BS.. Buy quality, buy once.
Yup, I have with Gas; like I said, only do if you're ready to burn your pouches in frustration. I'm -told- kerosene smell comes out easier than gas, hence the comment, but I have not done this myself. This technique was demonstrated to me by a .mil guy, when you're deployed you get creative to deal with issues because you're not just a drive away from getting new nylon.

I do agree, buy real gear that is quality, only in my first season did I purchase 'airsoft' gear.... then I found that real nylon gear is almost always cheaper than Airsoft grade if you know where to look. Generally the better way of doing things.

Last edited by Oborous; September 22nd, 2011 at 13:15..
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 13:32   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the fumes afterwards are nasty. I had a pair of mechanics gloves drop into a bin of gear oil and they still stink after probably 20 washes and soaking for hours at a time in hot water and dishsoap. Even wearing them for half an hour my hands will smell like gear oil for half a day.

If they're the type that has a divider in them, you can cut the stitch and move it to a more even position that makes both halves the same tightness... or if you aren't confident in doing it, try taking the pouch to a place that hems pants or does shoe repair, they will have a machine that can resew it.

I didn't have to redo the whole length seam on the divider, I just looped it through maybe half a cm on top and bottom and passed the thread through maybe 20 times, it's strong enough to hold it there. It's easy enough to do by hand.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 14:47   #14
T@NK
a.k.a. wingmantank

if your pouches are made of Nylon or Codura, stuff your pouches with mags as many as you can, just stuff them and leave no space left, and then heat it up with a hair dryer. thats how I enlarged my pouches.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion