Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Parental Issues.

:

General

Old July 26th, 2009, 00:36   #31
Cheesevillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy View Post
I don't normally post on stuff like this, but this particular post just gets me.

I don't think you have any right to say that about anyones parents regardless of your views. Seriously. So the guys Mom doesn't like guns and war games. That's no crime. Frankly, she has every right to feel however she feels and HE should be more mindful about respecting those wishes. These "toys" aren't just another Xbox you know. They DO from time to time draw bad attention and instead of coming on ASC an asking for help, maybe someone should be listening to his parents and finding an alternative to storing whatever it is he has. I'm not saying quit playing, but make it less obvious and quit walking around thinking just because you're 18, you're entitled to an opinion when you aren't paying the bills.

To those who have no experience with guns or airsoft, guns = violence and bad stuff in general. I agree it's an ignorant view, but folks who live at home with Mom and Dad need to respect the wishes of their parents and if you don't like that, then simply move out. Another idea for future reference is... ASK. Maybe try and ease the individual into the idea instead of inviting a stranger over into your parents home to talk about guns.

Anyway, nuff said.. Hate to sound like a grandpa here, but...
You're missing the point. There is a difference between "the right to..." and an absolute truth. The absolute truth in this case is (Able1's mom) getting worked up over toy guns to the point where it is causing tension in the family.

I am not trying to be abrasive - I am being realistic. There is no malicious intent on my behalf, no hatred for the mother in question.

I know its easy to get side tracked by my allegations of her being "ignorant", but I mean it - her point of view is obviously limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femina View Post
Okay, I recently went to art show. One of exhibit had huge panoramic canvas pictures of landscape photos taken with a digital camera. These pictures were nice and huge. The canvas was attached to a wooden stretcher frame for direct hanging on a wall without need for a frame. Do you know any more on this subject? Where can I go for additional information on this subject?
Cheesevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:57   #32
kullwarrior

meh, I have bigger broken hears, initally 11-6 months before I turn 18 I was all wanting go into airsoft. about 3 months ago I got my CFSC/ CRFSC done and application in, I switch my mindset into obtaining license and getting a handgun for target shooting maybe some IPSC. On first week of July, the reference check came in, and since my mom was one of my reference (shouldn't have done that, got like 5 best friends, 3 of em knew for over 10 years, 2 5-6 years) and after the call my mom told me that she would not allow me to own a gun, see pull up one of my mischief (writing a note telling one of my classmate to stop bothering me. the only threat used was "Im not your friend anymore")I done back when I was 11 and threatens me that if I object, she's going to call to the cfc and basically prevent me to get license forever. Basically that night it destroys my entire 6 years of thought on getting firearms.

The ironic thing is that she allows (her opinions is neutral) airsoft. I dunno why, but she know clearly that the gbb I have (WOC) is setup right now pretty deadly (around 500 fps and havent install my better inner barrel) and airsoft is exactly in the completely legal zone. I'll probably never understand why she perfers to let me own an airsoft thats automatic AND semi-legal. Like she understands that using an airsoft in a crime or brandishing outside is the same criminal charges as firearms.

General lesson learn
NEVER USE YOUR PARENTS AS REFERENCES.

(My mom never thought I would apply for license after CFSC/CRFSC)
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:16   #33
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Now that I have my first real (Ie, professional) job and getting my own apartment soon (ie, no roommates), I'm glad my parents are close enough that I can still ask them for help and advice when I need it. When you get a little older you really start to realise how "right" some of the things your parents said or tried to teach you are; things that you shrugged off when you were a teenager.
That.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:35   #34
Bissa

Send a message via MSN to Bissa
I had been around guns for about 5 years before I got my airsoft gun so I had knowledge as to how to handle a real firearm, and I treated my airsoft gun in that manner and my parents diddent mind since it ment they knew I wouldent be doing dumb shit with it. you could start saving to have a finacial buffer zone then in 6-8 months (I know a long time) you can move out and not have to worry about your mother pestering you about airsoft.
Sergeant Gerry Boyle: I don't want to see it. Babies all look the same. The only time a baby doesn't look like every other baby is when it's a really ugly baby. So, unless it's a photo of a really ugly baby, I don't want to see it.
Bissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:20   #35
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
I had been around guns for about 5 years before I got my airsoft gun so I had knowledge as to how to handle a real firearm, and I treated my airsoft gun in that manner and my parents diddent mind since it ment they knew I wouldent be doing dumb shit with it. you could start saving to have a finacial buffer zone then in 6-8 months (I know a long time) you can move out and not have to worry about your mother pestering you about airsoft.
you see you're in one of the lucky families. Most people's family never heard of airsoft nor have anything deal with firearm.
My parents were completely against bb guns because back in Taiwan they've seen kids got shot with airsoft in the eye and lost their eye for it. Both my parents has firearm training (highschool for both and conscription for my dad) My dad oppose me to join the army NO matter what kind of stuff Im going into, even a doc in the army. All I could think of now is wait for 3 years and renew my PAL/RPAL license (my mom held on to my license since she doesn't trust me with it) without my parent's knowledge and store firearms on range. or wait until I move out which won't be anytime soon (talking alteast 6 years before)

General thesis, keep your airsoft, but put it in your friend's house play it there, it should effectively stop your parents control your airsoft.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:59   #36
pilotguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesevillage View Post
I know its easy to get side tracked by my allegations of her being "ignorant", but I mean it - her point of view is obviously limited.
I don't think you're trying to be abrasive, just the comment seemed a bit much "sick" and "help." I agree with her having a limited view however, while she may be limited in her viewpoints, it is her right to be like that wouldn't you think? To say - "Your mother is ignorant, sick maybe. She needs someone to help her with priorities." I think that's missing the point too. Able1 should be more willing to understand his mothers limited view and help ease the tension by removing that which is causing it. Sending Mom for therapy isn't the solution. Certainly not for issues related to toys.
pilotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 17:32   #37
Battle Sight Zero

Able1 I can completely relate to you, I come from a very Italian family and my mother is completely against guns in any way, shape or form. I can thank her for helping me get into airsoft tho. I played paintball for a number of years and i finally got the money to own my own gun, so i dropped a load of cash on the gun of my dreams. One day I came home and found that the gun was broken, the stock had been ripped off and the internals were gone. My mom said she sat on it and it broke. After that I felt a change was in order and started researching and getting interested in airsoft.

I'm telling you this as a warning, it sounds like your mom is acting a lot like mine. If you're staying at home and want to keep your gun i suggest you go to Canadian Tire or where ever and buy yourself a hard gun case and a lock, trust me it sounds like you will need it.
Battle Sight Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 17:42   #38
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Sight Zero View Post
One day I came home and found that the gun was broken, the stock had been ripped off and the internals were gone. My mom said she sat on it and it broke.

WTF!!! You left a firearm lieing around the house? Or did you mother purposefully break it?
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 18:47   #39
Battle Sight Zero

Quote:
WTF!!! You left a firearm lieing around the house? Or did you mother purposefully break it?
Any gun I have is never left laying around I kept it in a case in my closet. Came home from work one day and it was halved with internals missing. Mom saying i left the gun out on a chair and she sat on it. So yah she purposefully broke it.
Battle Sight Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 20:11   #40
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Oh ok my apologies then. Wow thats a little... well thats going a bit too far if you ask me.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 20:16   #41
Love
formerly Lythinca

Location: You know that Home Depot on King st? Yeah, no where near there.
Send a message via AIM to Love Send a message via MSN to Love
Man, I wish I could feel for ya. My mom bought me my first airsoft gun. Bahhaa

Loadout 1:
Yugoslavian M76/Maadi RML Alternative (Kraken)
CYMA Glock 18C

Loadout 2:
TM MP5 w/ flashlight
CYMA Glock 18C

Both Loadouts have Marpat Uniform, PASGT Helmet w/ Flecktarn, and Flecktarn chest rig.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General