Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Deans Connectors

:

Newbie Tank

Old September 4th, 2009, 15:41   #46
turok_t

oh i already have the deans connectors already. I just want to make sure that ure supposed to solder a deans connector as well on the "?????"

I just thought there was one whole wire leading from the motor to the battery itself. I havent opened my stock before so i didnt know there was this "interconnect" wire as well

Last edited by turok_t; September 4th, 2009 at 15:48..
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 15:47   #47
monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
oh i already have the deans connectors already. I just want to make sure that ure supposed to solder a deans connector as well on the "?????"
Yup. male deans on the ????, female on the one it attaches to and a male on the opposite end of that cable. It would be hard to connect a deans to a tamiya plug

gun---(m)(f)---(m)

--- = wire

monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 16:58   #48
turok_t

Ahh thank you for all your help. I have finally soldered and replaced all tamiya plugs with Deans connector now. I used a total of 5 plugs (2 females and 3 males). I made sure that I wore a mask so I dont inhale too much of the fumes, which based on my readings, can cause birth defects. Most of the connectors were easy to solder except for the one that connects to the motor. That wire was a bit short so i had to resolder over and over until it was fixed in place, and i had accomodate by adjusting my position and my iron.

I realized that when i was joining the joints, some of the heatshrinks that were previous slipped on to the back of the wire were already starting to shrink so i guess i placed solder for a bit too long. I accidentally cross touched the wires on the battery and i saw a small spark even though I slipped on heatshrinks ahead of time but they slipped too back. But my battery seems to be working well so far.

Like you guys said, I noticed ROF has increased, and im not sure but i think my FPS may have increased too. Normally, I can barely see the bb's travelling but now i cant even see them at all. I can only hear it as it hits the target. I hope i did everything right.
Old September 4th, 2009, 21:20   #49
chaosnemesis

ROF may be affected but FPS has nothing to do with your electrical connection. It's soley based on the kinetic potential of your spring.
chaosnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 23:32   #50
Doombringer

Fumes are dangerous if you use some Lead Solder. Now, they usually sell some Pb-free solder. The fumes you see is the rosin core that melts. It can cause some lungs irritation but that's about it. Also, lead solder is really bad if you handle it with your hands and forget to wash them afterward and then eat, you will ingest some Pb. That is bad.
Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 00:31   #51
monkeyboy

Quote:
I made sure that I wore a mask so I dont inhale too much of the fumes, which based on my readings, can cause birth defects.
Solder can cause birth defects if you ingest large quantities. a few minutes of breathing it in won't hurt anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
Fumes are dangerous if you use some Lead Solder. Now, they usually sell some Pb-free solder. The fumes you see is the rosin core that melts. It can cause some lungs irritation but that's about it. Also, lead solder is really bad if you handle it with your hands and forget to wash them afterward and then eat, you will ingest some Pb. That is bad.
Lead free solder SUCKS to work with. I do on a daily basis and lead solder kicks it's ass everywhich way to sunday.

Just make sure you wash your hands after handling it and don't breath it in everyday for the next 5-10 years. a few quick solder jobs and you'll be fine.

I use deans plugs on everything and they are way better than tamiya plugs. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 18:32   #52
turok_t

Oh man, i got a really big problem guys. Today, I plugged in my battery into my gun and the battery instantly started to heat up and then smoke started to come out from one of the cables, one of the cable snapped right off, and a few joints where the battery and wires met are brownish/black burned. My battery is Elite 9.6V 3300mah from cheapbattery packs.com

What on earth happened?? Is this something I did with the deans connector?!??!
Old September 6th, 2009, 18:48   #53
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
You definitely soldered something wrong then.

Why not get someone who knows what they're doing, to do any doctoring or soldering for you?

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 18:48   #54
Doombringer

Quote:
Oh man, i got a really big problem guys. Today, I plugged in my battery into my gun and the battery instantly started to heat up and then smoke started to come out from one of the cables, one of the cable snapped right off, and a few joints where the battery and wires met are brownish/black burned. My battery is Elite 9.6V 3300mah from cheapbattery packs.com

What on earth happened?? Is this something I did with the deans connector?!??!
Sounds like a short in the cable somewhere. Make sure your + and - cables don't ever touch each other. Did you install the shrink tube like you were supposed to? If you don't, some parts might be exposed at the place where you soldered your connectors. You absolutely need to put some tube or some tape to isolate that part.
Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 21:19   #55
turok_t

After the soldering, i tried the battery a few times on my gun before without the crane stock and it worked perfectly.... it was only after i put the crane stock and the battery back on my gun that this happened... I placed heat shrink on every joint and even if there are slight cuts in the wire, i wrapped it around with duct tape so none of the frizzy wires are exposed......

The wire that connects to the motor of the gun is slightly thicker then the wire that connects to the battery. What is the type of wire called for the one that attaches to the motor? Where can I get it? I want to make sure i get the right kind.
Old September 10th, 2009, 15:00   #56
turok_t

Remember how I said I fried my battery? Well, I sent it back to cheapbatterypacks.com for repair. As im waiting for my battery, I really want to test whether my gun is still functioning or not and im worried that the motor and other internal components got fried as well. Would I be able to connect the positive and negative terminal of the battery wire of my gun to any duracell or energizer battery at their respective terminal to verify that my gun still works? (I dont want to purchase another nun chuck battery since im a bit low in cash)
Old September 10th, 2009, 15:05   #57
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

You're better off sending it to a gun doctor. You're lucky you weren't using a Li-po.
This is some dangerous stuff..

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 15:09   #58
m102404
Tys

How many Amps does your gun need in order to shoot?

(if you don't know...then don't do it)
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 15:49   #59
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
How many Amps does your gun need in order to shoot?

(if you don't know...then don't do it)
I have no clue. I just know its a stock CA M15A4... maybe ill just hold off for a few weeks then.
Old September 10th, 2009, 16:00   #60
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Dude, take it to a gundoctor before you kill yourself or others.

Jesus.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank