Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cracked Upper and gearbox: Suggestions!

:

Doctor's Corner

Old June 7th, 2010, 16:08   #1
Jbone 11 11

Cracked Upper and gearbox: Suggestions!

So last match of the day yesterday and I lost my footing on a ledge and came down pretty hard and landed on my M4.... when I went to pick it up, I saw that the upper receiver had cracked straight through on both sides right above the pivot screw!!
At first, I thought, ok... no worries, just an excuse to get a new body.But when I took off the barrel and removed the hop up, I noticed that the nozzle on the gear box got mangled as well....!! Its loose as a goose and is crimped a little. So... what was at first was a 90 euro fix is now a 200+ euro fix.... depending on what gear box I repalce mine with.

My question now is what do I do... go out and buy a new AEG for (Stock G&P sells for 280+ Euro) or save a few euro and get it fixed? I mean... how do you charge more for a gearbox and a metal body than an entire AEG anyway?!!?

I dunno... its shit deal regardless. Im thinking new... if im gonna spend the money either way....but if any gun docs out there can give me a some tips on saving the gear box... Im all ears!

J
Jbone 11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 16:15   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Why do you think you need to replace the entire gearbox? A nozzle is a $5-$10 part.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 16:22   #3
venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Why do you think you need to replace the entire gearbox? A nozzle is a $5-$10 part.
Yes, please clarify. Is the body and mechbox cracked or just the body and the nozzle damaged?

Also, the damaged nozzle may also indicate a damaged cylinder head. You won't know until you get it apart.

Pictures would help also.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 17:06   #4
DanoftheDead

if both gearbox and metal body are wrecked, just get a new AEG and save the busted one for parts.
DanoftheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 00:33   #5
Azathoth

I doubt your entire gearbox is wrecked. It's common for newbies to try and field strip a gun like it's a real one (with a 1 pc metal hopup installed) and end up breaking the nozzle/cylinder head. those 2 parts at absolute most is 50 dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 00:46   #6
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

I would personally side with DanOfTheDead on this one, parts gun.
If you were trying to insert a magazine into another magazine then I guess that would be indeed ghey. Inserting a magazine in a magwell seems rather hetero to me. The tape is merely metro, calling it ghey is rather absurd and makes it hard for the metro magazines to socialize with other magazines.

Last edited by The Chad; June 8th, 2010 at 00:49..
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:01   #7
Cheesevillage

No Canadian can fanthom getting a G&P for $335 :P

We're all gonna say, eff it, buy a new gun! (And yes, the old one could be for parts or a backup/loaner gun later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by femina View Post
Okay, I recently went to art show. One of exhibit had huge panoramic canvas pictures of landscape photos taken with a digital camera. These pictures were nice and huge. The canvas was attached to a wooden stretcher frame for direct hanging on a wall without need for a frame. Do you know any more on this subject? Where can I go for additional information on this subject?
Cheesevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:42   #8
BoGrain
représentant officiel de
     WW2Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesevillage View Post
No Canadian can fanthom getting a G&P for $335 :P

We're all gonna say, eff it, buy a new gun! (And yes, the old one could be for parts or a backup/loaner gun later)
Well if you are in europe you could probably go see a Gun tech to fix it up and ordering the right replacement parts would be much cheaper
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:29   #9
chaosnemesis

Even a brand new G&P drop in mechbox and new upper would only cost 150 CAD. But I doubt you'll need a new mechbox.
chaosnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:32   #10
Jbone 11 11

I really don't know the extent of the damage to the gearbox... could just be the nozzle... fingers crossed. Im not technically savvy when it comes to the internals, so Im just speculating. If its just a matter of swapping a few small bits, that'd be great!

As for G&P Gear boxes... they usually go for around the 150 Euro+ mark, add to that a new body and labour... might as well get a new one. But we'll see, I have to find time to take it in, and like a lot of you have mentioned, it might only be the nozzle thats pooched.
Old June 8th, 2010, 13:16   #11
Azathoth

I forgot that you could also have a busted out tappet but still the absolute most it would cost to replace the bits inside the box is ~50 dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:45   #12
Jbone 11 11

Ok so I've had a good look and referenced a few gearbox diagrams I found on the net. The Air Seal Nozzel has come off copletely and the brass cylinder in side the rubber bushing (not sure how else to describe it) is pinched... not mention half the rubber has been ripped off the nozzle as well. I'll post some pics when I get home from work, but I am concerned that the brass bit inside the rubber nozzle was supposed to be still attached to the cylinder head... thus requiring a new one?
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:30   #13
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
need a new cylinder head if that part of it is damaged.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:55   #14
Jbone 11 11

ok so the cylinder head is gone... and I think the tappet as well as I can't see the arm that pushes/pulls the nozzle and think that it might have snapped. Lucky me, I have a big game this weekend and everywhere is sold out of single parts for M4's and can only find full on upgrade kits that contain the parts I need....~! Starting to wonder if owning an M4 was a mistake as parts for then (at least the good ones) always seem to be out of stock!
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:36   #15
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
Funny... Any gundoc worth his salt should have stock TM or CA internals or better laying about in a parts box.

I find it hard to beleive that all the "good armalite parts" are out of stock. Im sorry, but that just doesnt happen.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; June 15th, 2010 at 10:38..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner