Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Good Sniper Setup?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 3rd, 2008, 19:07   #16
seabass
trevorthetwigyalienman

Well i was thinking about not getting the zero trigger, but after this is think i will, Thanks guys
Old February 3rd, 2008, 19:26   #17
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Since we are going over sniper setups, anyone have any experience with a gas bolt in a CA M24?

Regardless of velocity issues caused by gas, yea or nay?

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 19:55   #18
tsuru

The usual sear setup in a VSR-10 (as opposed to a PSS10 Zero Trigger or PDI V-Trigger) accounts for the low trigger pull. It's hard to explain without a picture but in a CA M24 you're pretty much fighting the spring for part of the trigger pull which accounts for the heavy pull.
The parts list you posted originally looks good but I do have some suggestions: 1.) I would double and triple check the dimensions of that PDI spring. PDI's website and products can be very confusing and sometimes Redwolf doesn't help. Just be aware that PDI makes two different size springs (7mm and 9mm IIRC.) One is for 'regular' setups and the other is for bore-up setups. If you're getting a bore-up spring you will definitely need a different spring guide and piston and you may need a new cylinder and receiver.
2.) What FPS level are you shooting for? Since an M140 spring (I hate PDI sometimes for the confusion they breed) shoots about 470FPS I'll assume that's what you're aiming for. In that case you WILL need a new piston. If you're willing to settle for 430 FPS or less then you can save a wad of cash and just get the spring. There's numerous users in the US that have upgraded using a Laylax M130 and that's it. No sears, no spring guide. I ran my VSR-10 all last year with an M130, tightbore and new hop rubber and had zero problems. When I upgraded it in the late fall there was no wear on the parts nor did I expect any.
3.) Other items that you missed that I've also touched on: Tightbore and Hop-up rubber. If you plan on getting an extended tightbore to go through the silencer save the aggravation and get the Pro Sniper instead. The silencer does virtually zilch with an extended barrel passing part way through it.
For hop rubber I've used the Laylax "purple" chamber packing (also works with the TM Hi-Capa, P226, G17 and M1911) for sub 400FPS with good results but the Firefly 'Hard-Type' rubber is a must for 400FPS+
The performance difference with the Firefly is utterly amazing.

Surebet: I've always been opposed to gas sniper rifles. Our climate just isn't consistent enough for them to work properly here. Different gun but a friend's M700 (actually the same guy Thundercactus was talking about) was varying from 300FPS to 500FPS depending on what time of the day he was firing at...on the same day...I see you've covered that already. I've heard that a lot of the recently constructed gas cylinders suffer from QC issues in addition to the usual gas problems. If you find several good reviews on the particular cylinder that you're interested in then I'd say go for it.

Last edited by tsuru; February 3rd, 2008 at 20:00..
tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 20:21   #19
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

I'm about a gas setup because the upgraded spring on my M24 kind of turned me off, but thanks for the heads up...

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 20:28   #20
seabass
trevorthetwigyalienman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuru View Post
There's numerous users in the US that have upgraded using a Laylax M130 and that's it. No sears, no spring guide. I ran my VSR-10 all last year with an M130, tightbore and new hop rubber and had zero problems. When I upgraded it in the late fall there was no wear on the parts nor did I expect any.
Ok, so your saying in theory i could install that spring and not have any problems? Cause that could save me a ton of cash on my first sniper, which i dont want to invest too much in yet

I also plan on putting in a new hop up rubber and i tight bore barrel to match this
http://www.uncompany.com/pageproduct...sp?prodid=7451
Old February 3rd, 2008, 20:58   #21
zanebrant

I thought that a m140 would be about 440fps since you convert 140 meters to feet
zanebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 21:04   #22
zanebrant

is the Deep Fire Stainless Steel First And Second Sear for TM VSR-10 set any good?

because its alot cheaper and stainless steel seems strong
Old February 3rd, 2008, 21:21   #23
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
CA M24 gas bolt has always been full of problems (mostly leaking), including the newer version. Want an M24 style rifle in a gas version for cheap, get a KJW M700 for $300 new.

VSR springs are always 7mm spring guide size. I recently ordered a pair of PSS2 springs for my M24, a Laylax 150 and 170, and what I received (thanks to Jugglez I have the right spring on order again) was PSS10 springs, both require 7mm spring guides. APS2/L96/CA M24 all use either, depending on spring. Up to 130SP a 7mm guide is required, fits stock pistons as well, 140 and up, new piston and 9mm are required. Doesn't apply to the VSR though since the springs for it are all 7mm ID and are a couple inches longer than the other bolt action rifle springs.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 22:00   #24
tsuru

Let's see if I can do this all in one post.
trevorthetwigyalienman: The only upgrades in my gun for a year and a half - Nine Ball (Laylax) Chamber Packing, PSS10 (Laylax) 430mm 6.03mm Tightbore, PSS10 (Laylax) M130 Spring and I chopped the air brake off the piston. I figure I fired anywhere from 1000 rounds to 1500 rounds through it in that time and the only appreciable wear was on the piston and that was partially my own fault (I wasn't particularly gentle one time I took the cylinder apart.)
As far as hop-up is concerned it really depends on what FPS you're aiming for. There's several choices of manufacturer and type so you can generally find something that will perform well for just about any FPS.

zanebrant: Last time a checked 1 m/s = 3.28084 fps so 140 m/s = 459.3176 ~460 FPS. This is all provided the system is "efficient" (read: clean barrel, no air leaks etc.) Everyone's mileage will vary but that is the nominal velocity. As Stalker said, you leave the air brake on and your FPS level will plummet.
The Deep Fire sear set is actually what I have in my rifle now and it's pushing ~475 FPS. I have heard the Deep Fire does have some QC issues though since the overall opinions I've read indicate mixed opinions. I got a really good deal on them ($15) so I couldn't say no. I'll probably switch over to PSS10 sears when I get a chance.

Stalker: Laylax does make 100% 7mm springs for the VSR series. PDI however does manufacture 9mm springs and spring guides. (Eg: http://www.x-fire.org/vsr_bup/e.bup_spg_hd.html)
This makes for a confusing situation since you can only really get their products overseas and overseas retailers are prone to not printing the whole description of items they are selling (not that PDI's website makes it any easier either) This all makes it a bit challenging to ensure you get the right parts.
I think this applies more to the M24 and APS series but I've also heard that Laylax's springs are much easier to cock than the PDI equivalent.
Either way I try to stay away from PDI just to avoid the confusion and potential disappointment.
tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 22:26   #25
zanebrant

sorry i was thinking 130 for some reason, your right

Last edited by zanebrant; February 3rd, 2008 at 22:35.. Reason: mistake
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:56   #26
seabass
trevorthetwigyalienman

Sweet, thanks for the info tsuru
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:45   #27
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuru View Post
Let's see if I can do this all in one post.
trevorthetwigyalienman: The only upgrades in my gun for a year and a half - Nine Ball (Laylax) Chamber Packing, PSS10 (Laylax) 430mm 6.03mm Tightbore, PSS10 (Laylax) M130 Spring and I chopped the air brake off the piston. I figure I fired anywhere from 1000 rounds to 1500 rounds through it in that time and the only appreciable wear was on the piston and that was partially my own fault (I wasn't particularly gentle one time I took the cylinder apart.)
As far as hop-up is concerned it really depends on what FPS you're aiming for. There's several choices of manufacturer and type so you can generally find something that will perform well for just about any FPS.

zanebrant: Last time a checked 1 m/s = 3.28084 fps so 140 m/s = 459.3176 ~460 FPS. This is all provided the system is "efficient" (read: clean barrel, no air leaks etc.) Everyone's mileage will vary but that is the nominal velocity. As Stalker said, you leave the air brake on and your FPS level will plummet.
The Deep Fire sear set is actually what I have in my rifle now and it's pushing ~475 FPS. I have heard the Deep Fire does have some QC issues though since the overall opinions I've read indicate mixed opinions. I got a really good deal on them ($15) so I couldn't say no. I'll probably switch over to PSS10 sears when I get a chance.

Stalker: Laylax does make 100% 7mm springs for the VSR series. PDI however does manufacture 9mm springs and spring guides. (Eg: http://www.x-fire.org/vsr_bup/e.bup_spg_hd.html)
This makes for a confusing situation since you can only really get their products overseas and overseas retailers are prone to not printing the whole description of items they are selling (not that PDI's website makes it any easier either) This all makes it a bit challenging to ensure you get the right parts.
I think this applies more to the M24 and APS series but I've also heard that Laylax's springs are much easier to cock than the PDI equivalent.
Either way I try to stay away from PDI just to avoid the confusion and potential disappointment.
Laylax springs are very much easier to cock. I had a PDI 300% in my CA M24 for a short time, initially cocking it was like cocking a crossbow, had to put the muzzle in my foot, shoulder on stock and reef on the bolt. I cut it down to be around 500fps, and it was still quite heavy of a pull. And after a couple hundred shots the impact of the piston caused my hop up unit to tear out and move 1" forward. After I fixed it (replaced screws and made/tapped new holes), I got a Laylax 150SP spring, and it was so nice to use, and still put out around 500fps.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 18:56   #28
zanebrant

anyone had the Deep Fire Stainless Steel First And Second Sear for TM VSR-10 ?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion