Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Replicas siezed in York Region

:

General

Old February 28th, 2007, 16:34   #16
as_styles

"Great work by officers working out of the York Regional Police #5 District Headquarters and the Guns and Gangs Intelligence Unit, in partnership with the Provincial Weapons Enforcement Unit and investigators from
the Canada Border Services Agency, has resulted in the seizure of 60 replica firearms from a retail store and two residences in the Town of Markham."
as_styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 16:58   #17
thorvald

Hmm, interesting charges:

-Possession of a Prohibited Device
-Unauthorized Transfer of a Prohibited Device
-Import Unauthorized Prohibited Device

Anyone know the guys charged (their names are on the PDF)

Tempting to visit the press showing tomorrow ;-)

Quote:
Members of the York Regional Police Guns and Gangs Intelligence Unit will be available to update
media on the investigation and provide a display of the seized replica firearms at a press conference
Thursday, March 1, 2007, at 2:30 p.m. at the #5 District Headquarters, located at 8700 McCowan Road in
the Town of Markham.
thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 17:00   #18
Goldman

Send a message via MSN to Goldman
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvald View Post

Anyone know the guys charged (their names are on the PDF)

Tempting to visit the press showing tomorrow ;-)
So they possed them, imported them without the right license, and sold them... Well at least they aren't going after individual players.

My Buy/Sell 1337ness rating
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 17:01   #19
willowretreat

Canada Border agency................
willowretreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 17:05   #20
Mud Gunner

Send a message via MSN to Mud Gunner Send a message via Yahoo to Mud Gunner
Maybe just blowing needless smoke out my butt but I wonder if cops are using airsoft to show that they are showing their communities that they are busting "crime" and airsoft guns because they look so real they can provide the public the "impression" they are cracking down. Then again, maybe its just me...
Old February 28th, 2007, 17:30   #21
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Gunner View Post
Maybe just blowing needless smoke out my butt but I wonder if cops are using airsoft to show that they are showing their communities that they are busting "crime" and airsoft guns because they look so real they can provide the public the "impression" they are cracking down. Then again, maybe its just me...
Let's hope not.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 17:34   #22
Gryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvald View Post

Interesting? News flash: the law says airsoft guns are replicas. Replicas are prohibited devices.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 17:38   #23
thorvald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Interesting? News flash: the law says airsoft guns are replicas. Replicas are prohibited devices.
Any where did I say they were not? I said INTERESTING....

Go be a troll in another thread and stop trying to start the "airsoft is legal/illegal argument" in yet another thread. There are already enough discussions about that.
thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 18:27   #24
thephenom

Saw the same newsflash on CP24.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 18:38   #25
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephenom View Post
The sky is falling! rofl
No the sky has already fallen.

I can name 3 places to get airsoft guns in Canada now. And not a very good selection at that.

Time to get your heads out of the sand so you can see the end come.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 18:50   #26
KaOz

Send a message via MSN to KaOz
Wow, this is some news to me... esp. as I am just getting back into the sport/community after being away since 2003/4.

I doubt the sky has fallen... same could be said about Y2K which was a much bigger issue and look at what happened with that - NOTHING.

Rule of the day: Be irresponsible, Get the cuffs!

There definately needs to be some sort of open-forum held with the community and their local political representatives - no joke. Back when I played (for a bit) the main concern was youngersters buying and shooting these things randomly and in inappropriate locations... now ASC has this age verification policy down pat which looks great and seems to be working.

Maybe the next step is to have all those who want to purchase airsoft aegs/gbbs to have a PAL / ATT - firearms training courses (mandatory) in order to apply for a firearm licence. Sure it may suck to spend $80+ but if it keeps the boys in blue away and makes the political community feel assured that things are done correctly for the sport then maybe it might be the best policy thus far?

Please share your thoughts...

Furthermore, maybe ASC should have a paid membership (small fee of $25) with files on record as to address, etc. and which aegs are owned.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
KaOz.

KaOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 18:53   #27
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
No the sky has already fallen.

I can name 3 places to get airsoft guns in Canada now. And not a very good selection at that.

Time to get your heads out of the sand so you can see the end come.
We know it's happening... you're just supposed to keep it quiet.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 18:55   #28
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOz View Post
Furthermore, maybe ASC should have a paid membership (small fee of $25) with files on record as to address, etc. and which aegs are owned.
God save Canadians from yet another registry. The last time I bought a real gun, my name ended up in the CFC database, which the Ottawa Citizen promptly has published in a searchable format by the first two postal code digits. All you are doing is registering yourself for a future seizure. Without property rights embedded in our constitution, the government can seize and take anything from you without compensation. Real gun owners have been dealing with this for the last 30 years in progressive waves of registration and restriction. It does not get you anywhere.
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:01   #29
KaOz

Send a message via MSN to KaOz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
God save Canadians from yet another registry. The last time I bought a real gun, my name ended up in the CFC database, which the Ottawa Citizen promptly has published in a searchable format by the first two postal code digits. All you are doing is registering yourself for a future seizure. Without property rights embedded in our constitution, the government can seize and take anything from you without compensation. Real gun owners have been dealing with this for the last 30 years in progressive waves of registration and restriction. It does not get you anywhere.
Hello,

I understand where you are coming from and unfortunately, in Canada there isn't a power-house as strong as the NRA as there is here in the US.

Okay, taking your point... but what alternative or suggestion(s) do you have then?

What I am trying to do here is "cut to the chase" with these posts... too many people write sob stories about the sky falling while others have an angry tiff with the government - what choices do we have as a community? What steps must we take to make sure our sport stays alive and we don't get personal seizures or arrests? Who or whom do we need to speak to regarding this?

Cheers,
KaOz.

KaOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:02   #30
Naerah

Send a message via ICQ to Naerah Send a message via MSN to Naerah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancorp View Post
I think I know who it might be:

http://mpdvd.tripod.com/

This guy told me he brought shipments of cheap airsoft stuff without a licence, contradictiong my advice, telling me since they shoot under 407fps its all good. Oh well. Never got my $80 Cyma AK anyway... oh well.

And yes, he is in Markham

Cheers,
Alex
that link just closed my browser twice in as row(well netscape... didnt tried with IE yet)

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General