Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Waving a hand, and need AV

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 11th, 2012, 19:07   #1
Scotcho1.0

Waving a hand, and need AV

Hello everyone! I used to play paintball and thats what eventually brought me to airsoft. When i was dodging randomly shot balls of paint and shooting away all my hard earned money at 13 year olds, i looked over, and there it was. Three men standing dressed to the 9s with BFG's and grenades. I couldn't help but be intrigued. So here i am, i have a craving for some tactical goodness, but unfortunately, before i can get real serious i needed to make this account, and now become verified.
I live in the guelph area, if you have ever seen a bob's your plumber kia (no im not bob) thats me! Anyway, i want to get AV'd quick! i am mobile, K/W, cambridge etc.....
So ya anyone wanna meet up some time, check i'ds, drink a coffee and talk airsoft?
lemme know, ill bring the coffee!

--Scott

Edit- Just found the list of AV-ers sorry if this post is real noobtastic! sometimes i get excited....

Last edited by Scotcho1.0; July 11th, 2012 at 19:13..
Scotcho1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 21:37   #2
ap27

Welcome! While you're on the right track with getting AV'ed, I'd also suggest you start doing research on what type/model of gun you like and would want to get. We can't tell you where to buy guns but we can certainly answer any questions you have about whether a certain gun is available in airsoft-form, which brand/company makes a good replica of it, and any other basic stuff about guns, accessories and gear.

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 22:46   #3
Scotcho1.0

i am actually doing some research as we speak! So far its seems kind of overwhelming. There is so many companies its hard to decipher. I know when i played paintball i was always up front pushing flanks, drawing fire and setting up ambushes. I heard it called 'dagger' position once, but ive never played airsoft before, and one would imagine you all are pretty good at what you do.

So i think i am going to lean towards a decent all around assault rifle and a damn good side arm (i am a sucker for blow back lol). The side arm should be no real problem, they stay in my price range pretty good. The AR on the other hand can get quite expensive, once I'm AV then i am sure i can find some cheaper prices, $100-300 right now but that could change.

If anyone has any recommendations on companies to look out or stay away from, please share.
Old July 11th, 2012, 22:48   #4
Forever_kaos

$300 is a good ball park to start with for your weapon, possibly some mags.

You'll need a wee bit more for some good goggles and boots, plus a good charger and possibly battery.
I've had good luck with my stock batteries combined with a good charger.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 23:17   #5
L473ncy

I'd say $500 will get you nicely setup:

King Arms M4 Rifle ~$275-300 shipped (just use the stock hi-cap for now if you don't have too much money)
Battery, charger, BB's etc. ~$70 (Get 7.4V lipos from Hobby King and a charger like the Imax B6, and buy Green Devil, BBBastard, or Madbull BB's or whatever is available to you)
Surplus CF Olive BDU's ~$70 set (trousers, tunic, field cap)
Good boots if you don't have $100-150 (can use hiking boots in a pinch and I've played in my hiking boots for 3 years but recently got a pair of Magnum's)
Eyepro: You'll already have this if you come from paintball, a set of JT Spectras or Flex8's are good so you can take off sections to get a good cheekweld and use your sights
That's pretty much all you need to start out. After that you can pickup chestrigs or vests and midcap mags and whatever the hell you want or think is cool.
Old July 11th, 2012, 23:25   #6
BennyBoy

seen those KA M4s as low as 240
PM all AVers in your area, very few will respond :\

I'm use hiking boots atm and they are pretty awesome, never had to think about my footing or throwing out my ankle. Didn't have to worry about my feet sweating too, I HATE SWEATY FEET!! ARGH!!

Got my first primary off classifieds too so you can make your 300 buckeroos stretch out a little further if you do that, after you get AVed that is...

last thing...make sure you buy a gun to match what where you play, don't get a bolt action sniper rifle for CQB, no one will let you in... factor in how much it would cost to change the FPS of the gun too
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:32   #7
Scotcho1.0

That my friends is some good info! Awesome, thanks for the quick input.
Old July 12th, 2012, 14:18   #8
SuperCriollo

Get yourself quality eye-wear! Its the single most important piece of equipment you use in the field. You will be useless if cant see anything in the field due to fogging issues.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 14:21   #9
BennyBoy

Make sure the goggles fit properly...i had no luck with revision or ess goggles and finally found some ballistic goggles from a military surplus that fit perfectly
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 18:55   #10
Scotcho1.0

i would like to just get ballistic goggles, but FR requires paintball goggles. i talked to a gentlemen there that said "i dont care about masks, you just have to be wearing paintball goggles, not ballistic goggles or glasses" i have a hight quality mask i can strip the goggles out of i think.

on a side not went out today and got me some bdu pants and shirt and a big 'ol duffel bag to transport weapons of mass airsoftness....now i need something to put in it! excuse me whilst i pm and email every verifier in my area lol
Old July 12th, 2012, 19:19   #11
L473ncy

Awesome, sounds good. Good luck with that. It's not often we get a player like you joining the forums here. It's mainly 14 year olds who QQ about "the rules" and say that they're "really mature for their age".
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:07   #12
Scotcho1.0

Its funny, youngins just dont realize that if you have to tell someone you are mature. You are not. Let you're composure do the talking.

Thank you for that comment and all of the help before. I may be new, but i have already gained a great deal of respect for the community and the sport. I look forward to dodging many bb's shot from all of you're rifles lol.

Question. Anyone look at the rifles @ KW surplus?
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:13   #13
ap27

They've got some KingArms and Cyma tinted ones I think. You'll find much better ones on here

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:18   #14
Scotcho1.0

Ok cool, just curious, because i almost bought one the other day. but figured i would ask first haha.
Old July 14th, 2012, 14:23   #15
L473ncy

Note that KA and CYMA aren't "bad" rifles perse, they're about right for a starter but the problem is it's not really an effective use of your money depending on the price you pay for it (but I guess that's all relative). Like I said a run of the mill King Arms M4 which is the go to starter rifle here is cheap (depends on where you get it) and good but what you'll probably want to do is wait for your AV to go through so you can get a better idea and bigger picture of whats available and at what price. If you decide that local is how you want to do it, then go for it if you see that there's a great deal online then do that but see all your options first before making a decision.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank