WE p90 GBB

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 29th, 2012, 23:07   #106
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
yes.... because copyrights cover visual likeness as well as written material.
Yeah but it's not that cut and dry. Copyright law is a very complex animal.

Among other things, you need to prove you've created a unique and distinctive work. Example: if someone takes a picture of the CN tower and copyrights it, does that mean no one else can take/sell pictures of the CN tower? No. That specific picture may be copyrighted, but there's nothing significantly unique about it.

But if you create a very specific work... lets take TRON for example, it has a very unique and recognizable look and feel to it, with the discs and the skintight suits with the glowing circuit-looking patterns on them, etc. Now if I hire some model with short dark hair and set her up in an outfit like etc and try to market this image, does Disney have a case against me?

Maybe.

At first glance, if I really plagiarize their shit, then yes. But suits with glowing patterns and glowing discs by themselves aren't enough, and if I manage to create something which is distinctive enough (and probably introduces its own originality) then I might get away with it. Assuming I have deep enough pockets to fight Disney in court -- so yeah, I'd probably just yield when I got the first Cease And Desist from their lawyers.

Which brings us back to airsoft.

Cybergun is basically Disney. Most likely ECHO1 didn't want to get into a protracted legal battle and even if they did Cybergun may have won an injunction against them for the trade show.

And I think this is more of a Cybergun thing than any of the actual manufacturers (although H&K has tried suing some other firearms manufacturers for MP5 look-alikes).
Old June 29th, 2012, 23:41   #107
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I'm no expert on copyrights and legal mumbo jumbo, but we're not also talking about copyrights, we're talking about trademarks too... like in the case of new york city's skylines with named buildings:

http://www.photosecrets.com/photogra...and-trademarks

there are actually rules to follow about using photos or likeness to them in any process that involves making money.

Disney may not come after you for creating a likeness of tron, but the minute you start charging for it, they'll be on your ass faster than a smart kid on a fattie... or is that a fat kid on a smartie?

Now I do know of a story about disney going after a little kid who drew a likeness of one of their characters... sued the family in some preposterous lawsuit. So cybergun "protecting" their "clients'" intellectual interests is not so far fetched as long as there's money and a lawyer involved.

As for how TM, CA, KS and KA can make their p90s without being hassled, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with how the GBB version might operate close enough to the real thing that they could be infringing more on just copyrights and trademarks... maybe getting into patents as well which I think deal more in the functionality of something?

Last edited by lurkingknight; June 29th, 2012 at 23:47..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 23:56   #108
Huron
GabeGuitarded

It's a shame that such an underhanded cash grab had to happen in the airsoft world, although these things are inevitable. They put a huge dent in innovation, because now there can only be one internal system (KWA) in the likeness of a G36 legally, for example, and they can and will try to litigate their competitors into oblivion. I'm partial to WE gas rifles, because they seem to consistently strike the ideal balance between cost, novelty, and functionality. But if every gun they model is licenced only to one company, I'll be stuck having to use that system even if the quality is less. This is not an example of a capitalist market.

The only way to counter selfish business is to vote with your dollar; unfortunately most people can't be bothered these days. I don't like the idea of a future where we alternate between playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 37 and shooting eachother with potentially equally lazily designed airsoft guns because Cybergun or Umarex shot down other brands with lawsuits.

It's only a matter of time before those two put their heads together and become the Activision or EA of airsoft...

Does that count as this year's "sky is falling" post?
Old June 30th, 2012, 00:06   #109
Airsoftchilliwack

Its about freaken time. =p

Contact me if you want to be apart of a Airsoft game in chilliwack! Any position.

I snipe, I give cover fire, I enter buildings alone. ALL POSITIONS!
Airsoftchilliwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 00:06   #110
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

not sure... either the corporations will start figuring out the money involved is worth their time and they put a guy in charge of licensing talks, or they keep farming it out to the likes of cybergun and umarex. It just depends if they feel like it's worth it or not. The idea of licensing likeness of firearms seems to be relatively new.. whereas car and plane manufacturers have been doing it for so long they have PR departments that deal with this sort of thing... at least that's what it seems like, since we don't see an equivalent of cybergun pushing around content creators who are making flight or driving sims.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 13:19   #111
kullwarrior

Incase you guys don't know Cybergun manage to trademark name such as
Western Arms
ICS
KSC
Hop-up
Airsoft
Soft-Air
Gas Blowback
etc

How did they get it? I don't know but Cybergun is destroying airsoft in France because they copyrighted the stuff they shouldnt be allowed to in the first place.
Old June 30th, 2012, 14:36   #112
redzaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Give what time?
Who knows, maybe umarex will get FN trademarks...
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 14:49   #113
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzaku View Post
Who knows, maybe umarex will get FN trademarks...
No, no they won't.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 16:33   #114
kullwarrior

Umarex vs Cybergun I gotta go with Umarex.

Atleast those guys don't go copy right stuff that is already in the public.
Old February 26th, 2013, 17:33   #115
WhiteGuy_9

I'm still fairly new too this sport, but I still don't get why there are no other companies are working on getting these gbb P90's out
I have had a few AEG and last yr got a WE M4 and will never go back too AEG....and I really want a damn P90 for CQB
WhiteGuy_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion