ESS Web Server Breach

:

General

Old May 29th, 2011, 18:00   #1
Fallen
formerly Qc_Sarado

ESS Web Server Breach

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campai...cc156282fc7ea9

I looked to my credit card bill friday and i saw a trasaction for 326$ from a online shop in england and I never bought something there... My bank called me on friday afternoon and they said that someone tried to use my credit card twice for 326$, so they blocked it. They told me that I was propably hacked so they started and investigation....

And I received this in a email on saturday....

For those who bought something on ESS online store (http://www.esseyepro.com/ ) check your credit card bill to make sure there is no problem with you.
Old May 29th, 2011, 22:18   #2
Jackals

Send a message via MSN to Jackals Send a message via Skype™ to Jackals
Wow, looks like Sony isn't the only one getting screwed by hackers.
Old May 29th, 2011, 23:57   #3
HGI

Credit card frauds are pretty common, I had a charge of $200~ made on December 25th last year from some website in Irac... I looked up the website myself and it didn't even exist so I called the bank and filed a fraud, took 24 hours to resolve the problem. How they got my credit card number is still a mystery.
HGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:42   #4
philly0001

This is why these systems need to NOT store your credit card information. I would rather have to enter my CC number everytime then exposing myself to hackers. They wont come and attack your home, they will attack a company that keeps all this information (I would challenge the need for this to being with) so they can get thousands of CC numbers at once. They sell them in a fourm and bam ring ring its your bank calling. Best practice is get a pre paid card for online purchases and then load the exact amount. Your exposure to compromise is minimized. Enough of these GIANT databases that get stolen and we all suffer not Sony, not Winners, not ESS. If they do get your prepaid CC number they will make a couple tries get nowhere and throw out the number.

Just remember you are nothing more than a number to anyone in the world.
Old May 30th, 2011, 13:24   #5
kullwarrior

I got charged $200 on a online gambling site, CIBC stop it before it shows up on statement.

I will say, atleast ESS reveal their own breach that's some trust there.
Old May 30th, 2011, 13:54   #6
cellulose
formerly aBseNtceLL

Everyone should have a prepaid/travel credit card for online purchases, even if it's a trusted retailer.
Old May 30th, 2011, 14:19   #7
redneck12

I always use prepaid cards online, takes the worry out of my mind that some tool living in their mommys basement isn't running around raking up charges on my card.
redneck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 15:29   #8
Dart

I just keep mine at the limit :P That way they can't make any purchases hahaha. .... My GF doesn't buy that theory though.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:03   #9
MultipleParadox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
I just keep mine at the limit :P That way they can't make any purchases hahaha. .... My GF doesn't buy that theory though.
NOT
mine was a about 200$ to it's limit and freakin' Visa authorized an oversea transaction, don't remember where, of about 850$. If my memory's correct it was for a cellphone. Hell, why would I buy a cellphone oversea like this, while they know I already have one. :/

They didn't even bother calling me or whatever on that one (it was the second or third time in a few years).

As how it happens, my theory is that a lot of small restaurants' staff get in contact with frauds to buy them credit card number. I'm 90% sure the 1st time I was frauded that's what happened.

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:23   #10
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

It wasn't only Sony, it's Honda too.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:26   #11
HeadlessChicken

I was hit once, but I was never reported from where the breach came from. I was away on vacation at the time that someone in India tried using my credit card for an undisclosed amount. Wound up changing my online banking password to which I rotate every month now and CC Pin#.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 17:35   #12
conflicttheory

My bank contacted me today and advised that my credit card had been compromised. I made a purchase from the ESS online store on June 29th, I wish I had read this topic before I purchased from them.

I have reason to believe that my CC info was compromised as a result of my purchase from ESS, as it was the only transaction on my CC that was not reoccurring for me (ie cell phone bill, car insurance,etc), and I have not received any notice from my regular vendors. Luckily, I have not noticed any erroneous charges to my CC, yet.

I advise continued caution with ESS's website, and any online purchase. I will be getting a prepaid CC for all future purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campai...cc156282fc7ea9

I looked to my credit card bill friday and i saw a trasaction for 326$ from a online shop in england and I never bought something there... My bank called me on friday afternoon and they said that someone tried to use my credit card twice for 326$, so they blocked it. They told me that I was propably hacked so they started and investigation....

And I received this in a email on saturday....

For those who bought something on ESS online store (http://www.esseyepro.com/ ) check your credit card bill to make sure there is no problem with you.
conflicttheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 22:08   #13
tigerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
NOT
mine was a about 200$ to it's limit and freakin' Visa authorized an oversea transaction, don't remember where, of about 850$. If my memory's correct it was for a cellphone. Hell, why would I buy a cellphone oversea like this, while they know I already have one. :/

They didn't even bother calling me or whatever on that one (it was the second or third time in a few years).

As how it happens, my theory is that a lot of small restaurants' staff get in contact with frauds to buy them credit card number. I'm 90% sure the 1st time I was frauded that's what happened.
That's why you never let your server take your card
tigerland is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General