Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Silencers?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:37   #1
Bryhaner

Silencers?

I was looking all over forums and I cannot find out this one question that is bugging me:

What do Silencers do?!
And do the increase accuracy or presicion (ex. M16 has longer barrel, if you put a silencer on a M4 barrel will it be the same or better?)

Please don't post rude comments and tell my I'm annoying and dumb, I know
Bryhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:40   #2
ujiro

Send a message via MSN to ujiro
Silencers are often used to hide a longer inner barrel. So what that means is that, just slapping a silencer on won't increase accuracy. But it will allow you to hide a longer inner barrel underneath it, which will increase your accuracy.

Other than that, they are just for show. But that is generally why they exist: for show, and to hide longer inner barrels.

And don't worry about rude comments, this is the newbie tank, its flame proof
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:25   #3
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Yeah but some people here (no reference to the OP or anyone in particular) will see any comment less than PC to be "flaming". Telling someone to do some more research before posting, telling them to read the FAQ, explaining things that can EASILY be found on ones own, some people see that as flaming.

As for the OPs question, ujiro pretty much answered it, but on some guns it does make somewhat of a difference, such as the P90. Its not "silenced" (which is actually and incorrect term, its suppressor) but there is a change in the sound. Which is what suppressors are supposed to do. Change the sound, not "silence" it per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:10   #4
Sim123456

I personnaly think that you can't silence something that is already silent. A AEG will make most of it sound from the motor and gearbox, wich can't be silenced by putting a mock silencer at the end of the barrel. So coolness factor or longer inner barrel hidding, wich is why I use them.
Sim123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:48   #5
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim123456 View Post
I personnaly think that you can't silence something that is already silent. A AEG will make most of it sound from the motor and gearbox, wich can't be silenced by putting a mock silencer at the end of the barrel. So coolness factor or longer inner barrel hidding, wich is why I use them.
50/50, sound from the piston moving/gears and motor. A well shimmed mechbox with a perfectly set motor height will end up only really making sound from the piston. A silencer will suppress the sound from the piston making a properly set up aeg dead silent. I have my 416 set up silent like this.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:59   #6
Bryhaner

Thanks guys, this makes so much more sense. I never thought it would hide a longer barrel, and I thought maybe it was just for looks.
Bryhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:06   #7
L473ncy

You can also muffle the sound of the mechbox by installing sorbo pads.

One of my teammates has a TM SOCOM and the suppressor does suppress the sound so that it's actually a different sound coming out when he fires with or without the silencer.

So all in all to silence an AEG:

Suppressor
Sorbo Pad

Silencer can be used to:

Hide an longer barrel
Increase your LCF/E-peen
Slightly silence the sound of the BB (you can't really silence something that doesn't make too much noise in the first place anyways.
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:22   #8
SHÖCK
aka SNK or Shaniqua

The silencer will change the report of the gun but not by much. They are foam filled and you will get a muffled sound. Usually the other sounds (mechbox, motor) are louder than the bb exciting the barrel anyway.

For certain players with very silent setups in sniper rifles (sorbo pads, soundproof material in their recievers, quiet motors, or even bolt action, etc.) the silencer can do a great deal to hide your position.
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:24   #9
Danke

With the right "can" you can make an AEG quieter.

Don't forget if you're firing and your ear is pressed up against the body you may not notice a change; but at the muzzle end there will be a noticable reduction in report.

The further away from the muzzle end your target is the harder time they'll have ID'ing your location.
Old June 16th, 2009, 13:30   #10
Frozen Tex

The "mock suppressor" on my KJW Glock 23 GBB makes a difference to the noise my targets perceive.

Delenda Est Carthago
Frozen Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 13:36   #11
Mr. G36!

Location: Beautiful Thunder Bay, where dreams become nightmares!
A suppressor with the foam-pad inserts will soften the sound of the BB being fired. You'll still hear it, but it won't make as loud of a "POP" sound, but rather more of a "pfft" sound. If you fire a short burst, it'll be harder to tell EXACTLY where you are based on the sound alone, only your general direction.
Old June 16th, 2009, 13:37   #12
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

G36 and especially P90 are very well silenced by silencers.

My P90 make a nice kicking sound with just the flash hider. With the supressor on, it only make a woosh sound.

The best is my MK23. Unsilenced, it is loud. Silenced, my teamate, 2m away from me can't hear it. All they hear is the BB impact on my target. Best ambush pistol for CQB. It's also my backup when sniping.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 13:44   #13
Malice Army

I've seen a few that work REALLY well at eliminating any report from the barrel, just the gearbox can be heard.
Malice Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 14:25   #14
Huron
GabeGuitarded

+1 to what Danke said. What the shooter hears is a LOT different then what people downrange do. The sound of the motor doesn't travel nearly as strongly or as far as the smack of the piston and report from the barrel.
Old June 16th, 2009, 14:29   #15
ujiro

Send a message via MSN to ujiro
I find that they especially do a lot for gas guns, in particular NBBs. I had the TM MK23 NBB, and the difference between it with the suppressor on and off was huge. It had a snap to it when the suppressor was off, but it was a very quiet, dull thud with the suppressor on. Anybody who has ever fired one or owned one knows what I mean.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank