Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Even minor upgrades can cause damage *carnage pics inside*

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 15th, 2010, 09:40   #1
Dart

Even minor upgrades can cause damage *carnage pics inside*

So I recently did some light upgrades to my TM ak47. I put a PDI 150% spring in it with a bearing spring guide and new bushings. It lasted for about 3 games and well... just take a look at the pic. I did just put a new gaurder black hop up bucking in before the game as well.

So now for the purpose of this thread after you have enjoyed the carnage pics *who doesn't like to see stuff broken :P*

I obviously need a new piston head. Any recomendations? I was thinking Gaurder as they seem alright priced. Has anyone ever used a Lonex piston head? Any other brands I shuold consider?

Also what could have caused this. It gave out when I was going full auto but I run real caps so its not like it was long bursts. Could the added back pressure from the stiffer hop up have caused this? Any other ideas, I just don't want this issue to happen again. I am lucky it did not hurt my cylinder head.

BTW I posted this in the newbie thread so that these noobs that want to throw 170%+springs in stock mech boxes can see what the results may be.

Edit* looking at the damage that happened.... I actually think I figured out what happened, I think the screw unscrewed it self some how from the *nut* on the inside of the piston and than on the next rotation the piston smacked forward and smooshed the screw into it self and the head... so Loc tite might be a good idea I think lol. Sound about right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00236[1].jpg (1.23 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNC00239[1].jpg (1.10 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SNC00242[1].jpg (1.20 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SNC00244[1].jpg (1.16 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Dart; March 15th, 2010 at 09:47..
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:57   #2
m102404
Tys

Yeah...you should have loctite'd it...LOL

Check the inner cylinder wall too...if the piston head went sideways on you there's a good chance the screw scratched that up.

The Modify polycarbonate bearing piston head is a good one. It's a good thing to match the brand of the piston with the piston head...to see that the total length of the piston/piston head is the correct length (i.e. not too long or short).

Best of luck

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:05   #3
Amos

Assuming that's a stock TM piston, you didn't re-tighten the "lug" that holds the stock spring on well enough.

Whenever I change the spring on a TM piston, I always change out the piston head.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 16:39   #4
Dart

yup lesson learnt. Well this gives me a good excuse to upgrade some compression parts.

The cylinder looks fine no scratching on the inside that I can see
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank