Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Side arm question

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 28th, 2009, 04:19   #1
ratnest

Side arm question

so my i decided on a primary aeg, a tiny little cqb m4 thing, i've got a mask, spare mags, vest, and getting some new olive drab soon.

i also have two holsters with only a walmart p226 to put in them. so my question is what is a descent pistol to put in a medium sized holster. i was thinking a glock 18, but have heard bad things about machine pistols.

not asking where i can get one yet, just wondering what i should look at in the near future.

i like sigs, glocks and p99s for their looks.
ratnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:00   #2
coach
aka coachster

are you asking specifically to fit those holsters? Pretty much all of the glocks I've handled have been pretty good. Really depends what size that holster actually is. The 18 with full auto can wear down parts quick but with upgrades and preventative maintenance, there shouldn't be any issues.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:50   #3
L473ncy

If you're just starting out I wouldn't get a secondary right off the bat.

Keep the money for something else (eg. mags, gear, boots, goggles), that is unless you have money in your pocket that you're able to specifically burn on a secondary.

Also are you getting a AEP or GBB Glock 18? I believe the general consensus is to stay away from AEP's. Also the full auto thing will wear down your parts faster than normal but it's just a matter of upgrades to better parts or replacing it right off the bat when you get it.
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:58   #4
kalnaren

Pistols are not necessary. Their a fun accessory that rarely ever gets used (if I have mine on me, I usually pull it out maybe once or twice per game). Having said that, they are a lot of fun.

There is nothing wrong with AEPs. They're reliable (much more so than GBBs) and don't require gas, so they perform the same in all weather. Generally though they are shorter range and don't have blowback. It's EBB's (electric blow back) people recommend staying away from.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:44   #5
Danke

Nothing wrong with a pistol, I had all my batteries go down last game and I got a couple folks who had real long guns with pistol shots.

Make sure you can get magazines and accessories for the particular model you're after. If you have to get a soft cloth holster make sure you get a lanyard for when it falls out of the holster. It will fall out.

If possible try out different version at games, unless you are very familar with the real versions. Some folks swear by 1911s and other like a Sig or Glock type. Since they all run similar capacity and have the same caliber you might as well get one that you like the feel and controls when used.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:47   #6
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Glock, berreta, sig p226, 1911 and hicappa. those would be the best choices for mag/part availability.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:53   #7
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

If you like glocks, KSC makes an excellent quality line of glocks.
Tokyo Marui's newer generation of GBB pistols can now handle propane out of the box.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:56   #8
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
If you like glocks, KSC makes an excellent quality line of glocks.
Tokyo Marui's newer generation of GBB pistols can now handle propane out of the box.
oh yeah, I've seen mostly stock KSC glocks reach as far/further than many short to medium length AEGs
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:20   #9
ratnest

i have an uncle mikes shoulder holster meant for a sig or p99 sized pistol, (i bought it for a p99 air pistol) i think it's size 15. the reason i really want a pistol, is my tac vest has a cross draw holster on it, so it might look dumb empty. personally i'm not a 1911 fan, as every time i pick up a gun mag, it has half of it's articles dedicated to the latest clones of the 1911. 1911s feel the the ak47 of pistols. i much prefer newer styles of pistols.

i also love pistol shooting, so a sidearm would be fun.
Old March 28th, 2009, 17:11   #10
diamond_SEA

Send a message via MSN to diamond_SEA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratnest View Post
i also love pistol shooting, so a sidearm would be fun.
thats what GBBs are all about. Get an AEG first, but definetly think about getting a GBB at some point. Their popularity is not an accident; its becuase they are lots of fun. Also, if you plan on CQB, some people swear by their GBBs, or if your interested in CAPS.

Ive owned 2 GBBs so far, and barely used them, but the one time I gamed both my g18c with my HFC m190 (both full auto), it was certainly one of my more favorite memories. So if your in it for the pew pew, by all means get a GBB, just get one once your kit is gameable.
diamond_SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 17:15   #11
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Yeah, hand gun is defiantly the LAST thing you get as it is least important for gaming. And the only thing more fun (in airsoft) to shoot than a gbb hand gun is a gbb rifle.
Old March 28th, 2009, 20:00   #12
ratnest

to complete my aeg, i just need an extra battery, and then some clothes
Old March 28th, 2009, 21:25   #13
Amos

Do you have mags, a vest for mags, good boots, water carrying methods, and a good charger?

a GBB isn't necessary unless you're using a gun that has a minimum engagement distance.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 22:02   #14
ratnest

I have canadian issue combat boots, a tac vest, four spare hi caps, a c-mag, a jg dragon i'm converting into something more realistic, two older canadian issue double mag pouches, air soft glasses, a gas mask with safety lenses. so battery and i guess a better charger before i get gbb
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:28   #15
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratnest View Post
air soft glasses, a gas mask with safety lenses.
most fields, primarily paintball fields, do not allow shooting glasses. a gas mask is not a suitable back up neither.

I recommend that you add a good paintball mask to your list of things to get first. Most places will allow you to separate the goggles from the mask and will be safer than glasses since they completely seal around your eyes.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank